BBC 6.135" rods that won't break the bank? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 10:43 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: BBC 6.135" rods that won't break the bank?

As an apprentice, pressing pins was my most hated job, even more than grinding cast iron. Lets see , hardened steel into aluminum. Of course, I swore at the Spiralocks a few times when they drew blood.

P.S. My crazy genius boss had rods sent out to get a copper looking coating ( ?) on the small end that I honed to size for the floaters. Cant remember what he did. Maybe they were simply too big?

Anyway, I dont think i'll rebuild my 1970 CE build, polished to perfection, L88 rods for the FOURTH time in 40 yrs. PS The 7115 crank only made it to the 2nd rebuild. Never seen so much "Magna-snot" on a crank before, esp on the mains! Chartreuse friggin' monster it was and some dude bought it off Ebay for $50. Go figure. I use a 425hp 6223 now, not a truck crank.

Brian, I can understand the mechanical advantage of adding .200" to the rod and taking it off the skirts, but again, piston selection for our 427's is light, and we're not trying to build 600+hp baby rats here. You might give Gary or Mike a shout and see what components pricing is, as I am guessing you dont have pistons yet. P.S. The original L88 Heavy arse TRW slugs were all floating pin design.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:01 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanic View Post
Hey 92, floating wrist pins (used with bushed rods) are retained with spiral-loc snap rings creating a positive lock to retain the pin over the just a press fit which is in a typical piston rod assembly. Its a good upgrade to consider.
I know what a floating wrist pin set is. What are the benifits of the floating wrist pin? I would like to hear your personal experiences.
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:10 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Not Gary or Mike but I did rebuild the L88 rods multiple times. Pressing the pins out/in can easily distort either the small end or piston bore. Floaters elim that.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Camaro View Post
I know what a floating wrist pin set is. What are the benifits of the floating wrist pin? I would like to hear your personal experiences.
I'd love to see a back to back dyno test between the two types. I'd bet a buck it won't be seen power wise.
I've got two sets here, one "thumb rod" and the other a "dimple set", both with ARP fastners, sized etc. Been on the shelf for a while and I'd not hesitate to use either in a build.
92Camaro, B433 and Saltherring like this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
any single change like bore size, ring pack, & pin move for free.

Mike, is that to you as a dealer or to any joe blow (like me) that comes along?
Anyone,,, even you,,,

But (insert shameless self promotion) you may get a slightly better deal going through someone like myself
aukai likes this.

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+4axis CNC block machining+
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:57 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
I'd love to see a back to back dyno test between the two types. I'd bet a buck it won't be seen power wise.
I've got two sets here, one "thumb rod" and the other a "dimple set", both with ARP fastners, sized etc. Been on the shelf for a while and I'd not hesitate to use either in a build.
I'm Glade to see I'm the only one that thinks this way.

92Camaro
Saltherring likes this.
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 1:07 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Not Gary or Mike but I did rebuild the L88 rods multiple times. Pressing the pins out/in can easily distort either the small end or piston bore. Floaters elim that..
^^^Really^^^ Do you have data to back that quote? Press pin Pistons, Yes, but most of the times the pistons are getting replaced.

92Camaro
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 18, 1:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
my question would be does anyone make an off the shelf 427 piston for a 250 long rod? custom pistons are 800 bucks plus. dyno difference would be basically a wash as far as the rod length difference
Question to all the posters advocating Eagle and Scat rods, what do a set of 38 cc dome floating pin 396 or 427 pistons cost? Manufacturer, P/N and retail source, please.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 18, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Camaro View Post
Well as stated by 427 full floating wrist pins are much easier to assemble/disassemble (save for the sometimes difficult spiral-loc's). They prevent the transmission of press loads to the pistons during assembly and having cracked pistons on disassembly are easier to deal with should you need to replace the rod (have spun rod bearings before). In addition, they allow the wrist pin to fully rotate which helps to promote even wear and improve the spread of lubrication. Pressed in pins only allow wear in a more singular direction because of the limited movement of the pin in the piston (only the distance of the crank throw). Cannot make any claims about dyno results, but we used them exclusively in the racing engines we built. Do not recall any problems or failures with them. Hope this helps...
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 18, 2:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
Question to all the posters advocating Eagle and Scat rods, what do a set of 38 cc dome floating pin 396 or 427 pistons cost? Manufacturer, P/N and retail source, please.
Here are a few that will work in a 427 in that area depending on bore size
AutoTec High Quality, Precision Manufactured pistons
Look at the BB large dome section
There are others available too although you may need to have the pin moved have to check but I am a WD for Racetec, Wiseco, Diamond, JE/SRP, CP & Arias to name a few so I do have choices,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
As far as prices you can PM or email me if you are interested. We do not discuss pricing on the forum except in generalities
aukai and Saltherring like this.

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

+4axis CNC block machining+
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 18, 3:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

nothing against aftermarket rods obviously the good ones are superior to stock rods but i just want to reiterate that stock rods with pressed in pins will last forever in a typical l72 type 427. the big advantage to full floating pins is the ease of assembly .after the engine is together you will never know the difference. just like the rods need to be checked and prepped correctly the piston to pin clearance needs checked and honed if needed. once again if you are using a stock type piston then the stock rods are a great option as long as a good machinist dials them in.if you want to upgrade to a thin ring pack shorter skirt longer rod then obviously its scat eagle callies etc. then again if you go that route why not go with a 4.25 stroke crank and have a lot more piston choices and 60 more cubes. you could buy a complete balanced assy from mike and prob save money over piecing aftermarket rods pistons then send it out for balance etc.
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 18, 3:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned Oliver rods. Although I cannot say that I've ever used them in any engine I've had, my understanding has been that their I beam pieces are superior to many others. But on second thought, maybe in a thread about "rods that won't break the bank" premium rods like those made by Oliver perhaps don't have any place due to their cost, (I guess kinda like Carillo rods wouldn't be mentioned, also due to their cost). Don't mind me....just thinking out loud I guess.
Molly's 70 and 70CHEVELLE396 like this.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 18, 3:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

another thing is pressing the piston on the rod is no problem if you have the right equipment for the job like from sunnen. again no prob for good machinist
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 18, 6:24 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
another thing is pressing the piston on the rod is no problem if you have the right equipment for the job like from sunnen. again no prob for good machinist
Yeah, the pin slides through the whole assembly. The issue is heating the rod end, there is no press force on the piston on installation. Taking it apart is a different story.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 18, 8:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I could be all wrong, but I've always considered the floating wrist pin option as possibly being beneficial in the same way roller rocker arms are, ( less overall wear to the assembly ). Didn't the 1969 ZL-1 engine and the so called 1970 "LS7" crate engine come equipped with floating wrist pins? If so, wasn't there an alleged advantage to the floating design which caused GM engineers to call for that option?

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 371 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.