4.3 Chevy v6 builds. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 3:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Re: 4.3 Chevy v6 builds.

you are going to have to use a bowtie block to make that much power. i dont think dart or world make one. one dyno run with that kind of power would split a stock block in about 6 pieces. the only reason i can see to build a twin turboed v6 is the extra space for the turboes. look up buddy ingersols pro stock v6 buick from the 80s
Steve R likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 3:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Syclone and Typhoon...

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 4:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

yep those 2 plus the grand national turbo v6 regals. might be easier and cheaper to go the buick route as there is lots of information on turbo buicks out there plus

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 4:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Easiest way to 300hp in a lighter engine, current V6.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 4:55 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
There's no reason to reinvent the wheel. The reason people don't use 4.3s is because it doesn't make sense. It will cost multiple times to make the same power as a junkyard LS and won't have the reliability.

Don't let us stop you, it's your stuff, but if you think 1,000 horsepower out of a 4.3 is possible for under $10,000 you're fooling yourself. Let alone making it stay together for more than a pull or two on a dyno.
I agree, 100%.

Clint Hooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 6:04 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

The 200 V6 was 3/4 of a 267 V8, the 229 was 3/4 of a 305, & the 4.3 (262) was 3/4 of a 350 V8.

Don't get too hung up on horsepower numbers, be more concerned with all the details of your build. Make informed decisions during the build and you should end up with something that makes you happy. Never lose sight of your design goals. Horsepower numbers are mainly a bragard's game. Time slips do the talking.

The 2.8, 3.1 pushrods & 3.4 4-cam were 60 degree Vs, while the 3.3 (200), 229 & 262 were all 90 degree.

I wonder if anyone has built up one of those GMC 478 V6s? They were heavy though.
Steve R likes this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 6:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
I honestly just can’t make sense of this. Find a 4.8 LS that’ll get better gas mileage and make a lot more power and it’ll be lighter.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 8:12 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
I honestly just canít make sense of this. Find a 4.8 LS thatíll get better gas mileage and make a lot more power and itíll be lighter.
You don't need to make sense of it. Some guys just want something different.

-Dave
Steve R likes this.

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 9:20 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

GMC V-6 is a huge boat anchor. I think they ended up making a diesel out of it.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 9:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

They put the 4.3 in El Caminos, some were even injected.

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 1:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleFan70 View Post
Quote:
I honestly just can’t make sense of this. Find a 4.8 LS that’ll get better gas mileage and make a lot more power and it’ll be lighter.

-Dave

bingo. thanks Dave. I'm not looking to be understood. I've got money, time, and skill. I'm going for an ultra-light weight chevelle. I'll probably have 50k+ into it when I'm done with her. I say 10k on the engine, probably more like 20, I know. this is my dream car, all I've ever wanted was a late 60s chevelle to build exactly how I want, I have it now and that's what I'm going to do. even my Mrs. doesn't question my budget for this car. it's so much more than just a car to me.....
ChevelleFan70 likes this.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 1:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
The 200 V6 was 3/4 of a 267 V8, the 229 was 3/4 of a 305, & the 4.3 (262) was 3/4 of a 350 V8.

Don't get too hung up on horsepower numbers, be more concerned with all the details of your build. Make informed decisions during the build and you should end up with something that makes you happy. Never lose sight of your design goals. Horsepower numbers are mainly a bragard's game. Time slips do the talking.

The 2.8, 3.1 pushrods & 3.4 4-cam were 60 degree Vs, while the 3.3 (200), 229 & 262 were all 90 degree.

I wonder if anyone has built up one of those GMC 478 V6s? They were heavy though.
thank you sir. I've never been a numbers guy, even when I was an auto tech, I've always been more concerned with, can you actually fix it? do you know how to work on it? I used to literally take junkyard fuel systems off of early 90s Chevy, particularly 454s, wiring harness, injectors, computer, fuel pump, and O2 sensors and use that to run 13b Mazda rotaries. yeah, then we took one of those and put it in a 68 opal gt. different is what i do. where there's a will there's a way.... me and rose will find our way into the chevelle world. I'm not looking to be the fastest 1/4mile guy, I'm looking for all around purpose car, a good driving, reliable, quick car, cheap probably not, but I'm ok with that....
JFS65 likes this.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 2:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleFan70 View Post
Quote:

-Dave
You’re right about that, it does get old just seeing LS engines in every Chevelle nowadays that’s why I stuck sbc (partly because I can’t afford anything more). I’ll be watching the build if he puts it in the “projects” section

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 3:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeSixty8 View Post
I'm looking into getting a LV3 4.3 v6 to put in my chevelle. from the research I've done it seems like a perfect combination of reliability, higher mpg, and with a couple turbos, plenty of power. it's an aluminum block and heads so lightweight too. just wondering if anyone on here has ran a chevelle with any of the 4.3 v6s?

they've been around since the 70s. I've got an 86 Chevy g10 van with one and it runs great and sounds good.
The LV3 is an entirely new design and has nothing to do with the older 4.3L V6 with the exception of the displacement numbers (4.3L that's it) So unless you bought one out of a 2015 or newer pickup ....Looks like its built using LS V8 technology and to me almost looks like a baby LS engine.This article pointed out the new stuff the engine is equipped with leads me to beleive it will get turbo technology down the road from now.I can't even begin to write down the upgrades this motor is equipped with starting with direct injection
GM EFI Magazine
this is a good read.Good Luck with your Chevelle LV3, Blake. Should be an awesome build up.
paul bell likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 3:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks man. after seeing the 2016 twin turbo the guys at nelson racing built I pretty much made up my mind that's the route I'm going to go. a baby ls is exactly what I was thinking! I plan on buying an engine to start building next summer. I've got a running driving machine right now, 454 with a Muncie. so ill run it till I have the lv3 power plant ready to go in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 532 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.