Richmond debate, - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Richmond debate,

Hello guys thinking of spring for a Richmond I think the numbers are 71-58112 ? The guy Selling says itís new with zero miles. Heís says gear ratios is 1 st 3.33:1 2nd 1.85:1 3rd 1.31:1 4th 1.00:1 and 5th 0.77:1. Is this a good trans for a mild BBC . I think my rear gear is 355 . Heís asking 3000 is this high

Thanks

Thanks KW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 1:22 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Richmond debate,

Is that the gear ratio you would choose if you were buying one brand new? Have you visited the Richmond website to familiarize yourself with their product line and what the differences are from one part number to the next?

Three thousand dollars isnít much of a discount, I wouldn't make any compromises for that price. Most seem to be priced in the $3,500-$3,800 range.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Apr 17th, 18 at 1:25 AM. Reason: Cdfggvfdcggv
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 1:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

that first gear is going to be good for about 5o' on take off;
then you are going to need second very quickly
SLR is 11.82

this trans ratios are similar to the T5 or Tremec 3550
so : second thru 5th/OD would be fine; but 1st could be a deal breaker
as this trans would be great with a 2.73 or 3.08 axle gears
Clint44 and Steve R like this.

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 1:34 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Ok I thought that price was kinda high for a used/ new trans with no warranty. Iíll go to Richmond site. Iím not sure what gearing I need can u you make a suggestion? I have a 468 in a 66 chevelle

Thanks KW
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 1:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDW66 View Post
Ok I thought that price was kinda high for a used/ new trans with no warranty. Iíll go to Richmond site. Iím not sure what gearing I need can u you make a suggestion? I have a 468 in a 66 chevelle
first gear x rear axle gear = SLR start line ratio [about 9.0 to 9.9 is good]
Steve R likes this.

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 2:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDW66 View Post
Hello guys thinking of spring for a Richmond I think the numbers are 71-58112 ? The guy Selling says itís new with zero miles. Heís says gear ratios is 1 st 3.33:1 2nd 1.85:1 3rd 1.31:1 4th 1.00:1 and 5th 0.77:1. Is this a good trans for a mild BBC . I think my rear gear is 355 . Heís asking 3000 is this high

Thanks
That number, 71-58112, doesn't seem to fit any Richmond transmissions...

https://www.richmondgear.com/wp-cont...hmond/RG22.pdf

The Super Street 5-speeds with OD have part numbers that begin with "70", not "71"... "58112" doesn't show up... Early Chevy #7020510 (10 spline) or 7020526 926 spline)...

Lots of different variations: I see at least 8 different numbers for the "A" ratio (3.33 first gear)

as other's mentioned, I think its the wrong choice for the 3.55 gearing... First gear would be close to 5.37:1 with an M21 or 4.69:1 with an M20... and the RPM drop from 1st to 2nd is really high too... That's like a tow truck...

Strength-wise, they are supposed to handle 600 lb-ft...

Brand new, they are about $3600+ at places like Jegs and Summit...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 2:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I ran an older Richmond with 3.27 first, and 3.55s 1.62 60'. Should have been better but I'm a dummy some/most of the time. I did not feel there was a rush shifting, and 0 issues driving. Just my experience.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 7:34 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

My 2 bits is that a 3.55:1 final drive ratio is too low for a Richmond trans because their final gear ratio is 1:1. A 2.73 to 3.08 ratio would work much better.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 8:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I run a 3.27 1st with a 2.73 rear and it could use a tad more gear to start but it's behind a 327 with a moderate cam. I think that combo would be ideal for a street bbc. This trans has a 1:1 5th
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

I would drive a car with one first.. I never liked them.. Too many over lapping ratios for a big motor..
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 5:38 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I'd run a 3.08 or similar with trans. overdrive ratio at .77 is soft.

3.33 x 3.08 = 10.25 overall first similar to a 2.20 Muncie with a 4.56

.77 x 3.08 = 2.37 which is high IMO but do-able.

That trans would be better with a little stiffer first gear, like a 3.00 or so. With a 2.73 rear the OD ratio is 2.1:1, pretty stiff unless you live at Bonneville.

yeah, for the money get what you want, not necessarily what he has on hand. I dunno, with 3.08 you could skip first altogether in normal driving, just use it for serious roasting of rubber.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 6:11 PM
Tech Team
Andy

Garage

I run an earlier version with a BBC 3.27 first and 3.08 rear gears.... It has the best of both worlds for me... I can cruise all day long on the highway with 3.08 at 1:1 and still have a great SLR
GuysMonteSS likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 6:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialone View Post
I run an earlier version with a BBC 3.27 first and 3.08 rear gears.... It has the best of both worlds for me... I can cruise all day long on the highway with 3.08 at 1:1 and still have a great SLR
Mine is very similar,only difference is the 3.0:1 rear gear in the Ford 9 inch.
Best of both worlds indeed
Guy
Ialone likes this.

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 18, 10:51 PM
Tech Team
Tommy

That's just the Richmond Gear rehash of the old Doug Nash 4+1. They weren't all that great. They kind of drove like a tractor trans and didn't handle much more than about 450 foot pounds of torque. $3k is a pretty high number for one of them.

Tommy
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 18, 6:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
That's just the Richmond Gear rehash of the old Doug Nash 4+1. They weren't all that great. They kind of drove like a tractor trans and didn't handle much more than about 450 foot pounds of torque. $3k is a pretty high number for one of them.

Tommy
This new Richmond is rated at 600 ft-lbs...

I had an older Richmond, non-OD version), and it was great. shifted well, and never had an issue behind my big block... AFAIK, its still going strong 11+ years after I sold the car... It had a 3.04 first gear, and I built a 2.73:1 posi 12-bolt... Very nice overall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F
My 2 bits is that a 3.55:1 final drive ratio is too low for a Richmond trans because their final gear ratio is 1:1. A 2.73 to 3.08 ratio would work much better.
The trans he is looking at is an Overdrive version of the old Richmond...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 479 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.