540 with Super 50 Flowmaster mufflers. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 4:35 AM
Tech Team
Rob

Re: 540 with Super 50 Flowmaster mufflers.

That is one good looking 68! Love the sound too. Sorry you got a dips!*t for a neighbor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 6:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
I have done a lot of searching, looking for a 3.5 long case straight through mufflers with offset/offset openings, but have only found the Magnaflows center/offset so far.

I think you'll be surprised at how subdued that will be. Vince ran 3" Magnaflows with X-pipe behind a 509", it was exceptionally quiet. I ran FM 70 Series behind the 540", those were also quiet, but very restrictive. Right before I sold the car we swapped out the FM's for a set of 18" Race Pro's I had here and made a trip to the track. No other changes, car went from struggling to get above 121-122 mph to 125-126mph.
aukai likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 10:03 AM
Team Member
Dan

Has your neighbour come to your house & complained/mentioned the noise, or just said stuff from his lawn or doorstep in passing?

I put an x-pipe on my 498 BBC to quiet it down. Like others, I baby the car in the neighbourhood, and I don't fire it up early in the morning. It's probably a little annoying to my neighbours upon initial start up as I have to feather the throttle for about 45 sec. ( no choke ), after that I just let it idle. No one has ever said anything to me, but I would imagine some don't like it.

Dan

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Car is a lot quieter. Drone is gone inside its more enjoyable to drive now. I might install cutouts on it at some point. Now if the distributor bushings would get here so I can get the timing straightened out. I am running my too small 770 SA carb for now. Plan to run it until after Power Tour and then either a Pro Systems carb or the Holley Sniper fuel injection. It looks like Holley finally has the Super Sniper available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Brodix Race Rite BB-2 Plus heads
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Lunati Voodoo HR 231/239 @ .050, 600/600, 110 LSA
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
Hooker Super Comp 2" primary headers
Tremec TKO 600 .82 overdrive
3.73 Posi
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Bill does your neighborhood have a homeowner's association that can make things difficult or is this some single rogue neighbor?

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 10:32 AM
Tech Team
Andy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
If you are behaving, I wouldn't worry one bit, some people are jealous & like to jerks.
Probably wishes his ricer sounded like that.
Or could be a prius driving planet activist who dislikes anything that burns fossil fuels.....
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 10:35 AM
Tech Team
Andy

Garage

Personally, I enjoy setting off car alarms as I Idle through the streets of Lancaster PA...
mr 4 speed and 5384flhTcuG* like this.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Sounds perfect IMO. Enjoy.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

And take another video with somebody winging the throttle.

Are these "Super" 50's or "Delta" 50's? I had the Delta 50's at one point and they were a great muffler.
71350SS and StevenS like this.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 1:14 PM
Tech Team

Throw a set of zoomies on and crank er up at 3AM. Disturbing the peace is only a misdemeanor!!!!!
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 3:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Its just a rogue neighbor. He is about 60 years old and still lives at home with his 90+ year old mother! I have lived next to him for 20 years. They moved into the neighborhood in 1964! He has bitched about my Harley, a couple of street rods I have owned and now the Chevelle. I usually just start it back out of garage and leave but lately I have been running it some as I just got the new motor in. The city ordinance is the same as state:
The use of an automobile, motorcycle or other vehicle, machinery or equipment so out of repair, so loaded or in such manner as to create loud and unnecessary grating, grinding, rattling or other noises, including unreasonable acceleration, deceleration or racing of motors whether in motion or at rest.
So not sure what anyone can legally do about it but at least I made an attempt to get along.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Orgill View Post
Has your neighbour come to your house & complained/mentioned the noise, or just said stuff from his lawn or doorstep in passing?

I put an x-pipe on my 498 BBC to quiet it down. Like others, I baby the car in the neighbourhood, and I don't fire it up early in the morning. It's probably a little annoying to my neighbours upon initial start up as I have to feather the throttle for about 45 sec. ( no choke ), after that I just let it idle. No one has ever said anything to me, but I would imagine some don't like it.
He called the cops and I got a visit. I ran Broomstick (he is a janitor) off a couple of years ago due to his bitching.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

IMHO and experience, if you are not in a gated community or anywhere with specific bi-laws, he can't do anything legally.
I give you credit for trying to work with him,since he has been there since 1964 but in the end, he is possibly just another (IMHO) busy body PITA neighbor with nothing better to do.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 4:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
IMHO and experience, if you are not in a gated community or anywhere with specific bi-laws, he can't do anything legally.
I give you credit for trying to work with him,since he has been there since 1964 but in the end, he is possibly just another (IMHO) busy body PITA neighbor with nothing better to do.
I think you are correct about the busy body neighbor. I have done all I am going to do if he don't like it too bad.
Here is another true story about him and his mom.
Quite a few years ago Broomsticks mother showed up at our door with unscented dryer sheets. We were using scented and the smell was bothering her when she was outside!!!! She asked that we use the unscented!! We threw them in the trash!

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 4:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hennke View Post
I think you are correct about the busy body neighbor. I have done all I am going to do if he don't like it too bad.
Here is another true story about him and his mom.
Quite a few years ago Broomsticks mother showed up at our door with unscented dryer sheets. We were using scented and the smell was bothering her when she was outside!!!! She asked that we use the unscented!! We threw them in the trash!
WOW-people are crazy!!
if he questions you again about how loud your car is,ask him for some more dryer sheets and tell him you'll stuff 'em in your tailpipes to quiet the car down
William Hennke likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 701 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.