Morel Lifter Tick - Page 7 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 5:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Re: Morel Lifter Tick

The BBC has two inherent problems that will aggravate hyd lifter tick, that the SBC does not have....

1. Big valves
2. High[er] ratio rockers.

1. Big valves require stronger springs. Stronger springs will bleed lifters down faster.

2. High ratio rockers increase the spring force transmitted to the lifter. 100 lb spring, 1.5 rocker, lifter sees 150 lb. With BBC 1.7 rocker, lifter sees 170 lbs.

And then use thin oil...

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, go to solid lifters if you don't want to hear lifters ticking ever.
You can use sol lifters on a hyd cam as long as you lash them tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 9:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496blaze View Post
Alan, are the 396 lifters the street series or the sportsman race lifters?

I'm not 100% sure honestly. I assume street series. I bought the whole roller kit from Straub.

We haven't put many miles on this engine in the last 2 years, only maybe 700-800 miles. The car went to paint right after the engine went in it. I hope to drive it a lot more this summer, dial everything in better and see how the lifters do with some miles on them. This one has Crane Gold rockers on it vs. Isky rockers on the 496, there is definitely a difference in valve train sound between the two engines. We even had custom push rods made for the 396 to get the rocker sweep on the valve stem exactly right.

I know the 396 spins to 6800 rpms with no problem....

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
T400, Tight 10" converter
3.36 gears, 3700lb raceweight
[email protected], 1.51 60'
STOCK APPEARING
post #93 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 1:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Maybe you guys can mention what spring pressures your running and what kind of noises (or lack of) your getting.

My morels have about 170 seat and 400 open, 1.5 turns of preload, and there nosiy.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph

post #94 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 1:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Mine are in a SB springs are 165 seat & 420ish open. 1.65 in. rocker & 1.5 ex. rocker.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #95 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 1:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Would the noise be lash? What else could it be?
Lifters bleed down then have to pump back up.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 3:09 PM
Tech Team
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Maybe you guys can mention what spring pressures your running and what kind of noises (or lack of) your getting.

My morels have about 170 seat and 400 open, 1.5 turns of preload, and there nosiy.
The 4603's I had on my 468 with 2.25"/1.89" valves in Edelbrock Marine oval port heads, a 245*/248*, .646"/.603" Straub roller, Trend 3/8" pushrods from Straub and two different sets of rocker arms - I started out with some Crane aluminum rockers, valvetrain was noisy. In my ignorance, I thought maybe the aluminum rockers were the culprit, so I switched to a set of Crower Enduro stainless rockers. Still noisy, and my wallet was $600 lighter! Springs were 68363 Crowers, https://www.crower.com/valve-train-c...-w-damper.html If i remember correctly they were installed at 1.95" (194#) I checked with Chris before buying the springs, he said they would work - I already had the matching set of retainers, locks, etc for the heads. This was back in 2011/2012. Knowing what I know now, the springs were probably a little much and may have contributed to the noise, but I was also unaware of all the complaints about the Morels being noisy. I had them set anywhere from 1/2 turn - 1 turn without much change in the noise. I will say that the motor would rev to 6500+ very quickly and saw 7k on a few occasions.

The Straub Tech ZZ532 I'm running now is running .904" Morel solids. Other than the thump coming from the exhaust, the engine is surprisingly quiet, and much quieter than the 4603's ever where.

1961 Bel Air 'sport coupe' ZZ454/M21
1965 Bel Air station wagon, sbc/th350 (daily driver)
1969 C10 swb, Straub/Foxwell ZZ532, Tremec Magnum Extreme by American Powertrain
(sorry, no Chevelle)
post #97 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 4:45 PM
Tech Team

I would think cam lobe aggressiveness has something to do with. Slow valve closing velocities should be quieter.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #98 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 4:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

FWIW I have Morel hyd roller lifters in my 475 BB. Dead quiet at 1 turn with 260 @ .050 680 lift cam but they are .904 dia pn 5470’s
springs are about 250 lb + on seat I think

I also have a set of “ street Morels “ in my 396 they do have some noise that seems to get better after warm up but that engine has only dyno time so no real miles

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #99 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 7:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
FWIW I have Morel hyd roller lifters in my 475 BB. Dead quiet at 1 turn with 260 @ .050 680 lift cam but they are .904 dia pn 5470ís
springs are about 250 lb + on seat I think

I also have a set of ď street Morels ď in my 396 they do have some noise that seems to get better after warm up but that engine has only dyno time so no real miles

This thread shows how inconsistent Morel lifters are some are noisy no matter what you do and some are quiet................

Website is up and running

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #100 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 7:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
This thread shows how inconsistent Morel lifters are some are noisy no matter what you do and some are quiet................
Maybe but the entry level "street lifter" is in an original 396 block never had the bore clearance checked ........ the 5470 are in new holes for the .904 dia so clearances are right on the morel street lifter with encapsulated wheel is not meant for a big cam and spring pressure Im pbly on the edge on that one

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video

post #101 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 18, 9:40 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

Mine are noisy - more at cold start and less the more I run it. The under discussed factor may well be the cam designs themselves. There seems to be a common issue with aggressive grinds, as mine is a Lunati Voodoo, the ramps are aggressive on both sides of the ramp. They seem noisier at lower rpms than higher. Has anyone done a close scrutiny of the design relationships between the cam and lifters?

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #102 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 2:15 AM
Tech Team
Larry

I have a set in my 396 , at first start when cold they're quiet but by the time i've backed out of the shed they're clacking , then they will quiet down when the water temp gets up to about 150 on the gauge, Larry
post #103 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 2:29 AM
Tech Team
John

With all these complaints on the noise of the Morels, why do people still recommend them or decide to use them? How are they better, and why are they worth putting up with?

Seems to me, after seeing all these posts on them being noisy and many switching them out, why are they still a good choice?

First car was a 1969 El Camino. .....I miss it, great car.

Currently: 1967 Royal Plum Camaro

Last edited by Arch Stanton; Mar 28th, 18 at 2:30 AM. Reason: Spelling.
post #104 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 10:54 AM
Team Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
With all these complaints on the noise of the Morels, why do people still recommend them or decide to use them? How are they better, and why are they worth putting up with?

Seems to me, after seeing all these posts on them being noisy and many switching them out, why are they still a good choice?
I bought mine prior to the noise complaints becoming an issue. Like others here, they are noisy on start-up and revert to a sewing machine sound once warmed up. I won't buy another pair, but I'm not going through the expense to switch them out.

I've had my motor torn down twice with these lifters, and they were in excellent shape, so I'll tolerate the noise.

Dan
post #105 of 135 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 11:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post

Fair question. I think many sets of the older 4603 Morels were bought so quickly that there was some period of time that went by before the noise phenomenon became a talking point. You have guys that race and then others with street cars. I'm guessing it's more of an issue for the street driven cars where guys are used to having a quite hydraulic valve train.

That being said the reason I use them is because I spin my BBC up to 7,400 rpm with intake valve seat pressure set at 198 lbs. and nose at 525 lbs. Exhaust valves are less. Valve lift is .710/.676 with duration at .253/.262. The cam is an asymmetrical grind so one of it's attributes is that it sits the valves down a little slower. When I purchased the lifters (.842 body) very few hydraulic lifters could handle the spring pressure and rpm I'm running. I have to drive it to the track so I prefer a hydraulic roller. I've recently spent a little time discussing alternate hydraulic rollers with a few engine builders and they all say the same thing - don't waste your money. Could I put a newer quieter set in - sure but it doesn't bother me and I know exactly what this engine is supposed to sound like so if something changes I know when to pay attention to it. Once the engine temp gets to 150f they are about as quite as they are going to get.
It does seem like these endless threads on the Morels keep coming though!
steelcomp likes this.

67 SS BBC
4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 615 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.