LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #151 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 18, 8:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Re: How Its Built

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
That makes $ence!
What happens if a flexplate/flywheel gets messed up?

First it won't get messed up in my car, you will also noticed I used a very light flexplate. Now lets say it did get messed up some how.....I'd match balance it.
WHT/73 and 70CHEVELLE396 like this.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 18, 8:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfplace View Post
First, outstanding videos Mark, very well done

To answer this question about internal balance with a factory 454 or almost any external balance factory crank....
You would need to add weight not remove it for a neutral (internal) balance
It can be done but extremely expensive option. It is done by installing Tungsten (Mallory metal) to the counterweights which is not fun....
It would cost you in the neighborhood of $600 to $800 to do that with a factory crank,
Done like so
Mike

You mean to tell me you don't like putting 8 sticks of metal in a GM cast crank
Wolfplace likes this.

Oil pan modifications
post #153 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 18, 9:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy468 View Post
Wondering the same things about the flexplate etc. I made a few comments/ asked some questions on vid 8. Not sure if you reply much on Youtube or not, but I could definitely use some schooling.
Not sure which questions are yours, feel free to ask and I will answer.

Oil pan modifications

post #154 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 18, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
We used a mig on that crank, but we could have heli arc (ed) as well.
Do you think that could work on a cylinder head? I have a pair of Merlin steel heads that torched between chambers. I think that was how it was attempted to be fixed. It looks like it still needs help.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #155 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 18, 7:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
First it won't get messed up in my car, you will also noticed I used a very light flexplate. Now lets say it did get messed up some how.....I'd match balance it.

I guess you could use the old one as a template on the new one to see what was done to it?
I have a question.
Have you ever put a stock crank out of a block on the balancing machine with the weights of the old rotating assembly and see how far off the factory was with the weight's on the balancer/flexplate?
They have had to just came up with something "close" to being balanced.
There's no way they did what you've done to every engine.
I know it's kinda pointless and not very economical from your stand point but just wonder if they were even close.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #156 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 18, 7:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Casey

Send a message via AIM to Seventy468

Ah my fault it was Vid 9, someone was being a turd and I was trying to challenge him/her and understand at the same time. Reading what you all have posted since then has cleared it all up for me. Thanks again, and I love the series!
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

70 Chevelle
post #157 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 18, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech Team

Mark, I think this series was a brilliant idea!
It shows what a picky sh!t you are and how meticulous your work is.
It also shows just how much work it is to build one right.
I think there may be a few guys that will try to follow all your steps and build their own. If they do everything correctly, they'll end up with a great mill.
But even more, I think most guys will see how much work it is - work they don't have the time, tools or skill set to perform themselves - and they'll pick up the phone and call you.
Well done, Mark!
You are a definite asset to this site, glad you're here!

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #158 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 18, 11:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanca427 View Post
Umm this brings back the old track days.

2 types of guys at the track:

1. UNDERACHIEVERS and those just seeing what they have and can do, just playing around mostly. 99.9% of street guys fall into this group, and bracket racers.

2. OVERACHIEVERS that are there to do the best they can, and will work on ALL aspects of their car to do it, no matter what. Late nights, skipped meals and important "family" stuff. These are more of the heads-up guys.

VortecPro falls well into the second group. He knows what works, and usually what doesn't. helps you out, lends a hand, and points you in the right direction.

I've SEEN a similar build, not as nice, run 10.30 @ 130 YEARS ago @ 3600lbs. It didn't have the head work, but a 11.8 to1 468, 781 head, 650 solid Ft cam, 454R with a 4500 carb, IN A STREETCAR with 4.10 gear.

Now not sure where he plans at running the motor, but to be quite honest, I would be shocked if the deal went 10.30's or slower. I'm figuring on his car being 3500lbs.

Can this deal run 9's is the real question. Knowing what his work HAS done, it very well could. I too am not affiliated in any way with VortecPro, but I am a big fan of his work, and it does produce what he claims. PERIOD!
Hang around guys that run NHRA Stock Eliminator. What seems down right anal to most Hot Rodders is the difference between running right on the index and running 3 spots below it.

The same attention to detail that Mark's engines display can be found.

Here is a link to what can be done with "Stock" parts.

NHRA Stock Eliminator - Chevy 427 - Super Chevy Magazine

This is basically the same engine we ran in APBA Super Stock Class back in '70's.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #159 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 18, 6:25 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanca427 View Post
Ya know that car. Joe had it for sale a while back and dropped the ASKING to 40K. He did end up selling it I hear.

I've been looking for a MUST BE '69 Vette. Either Stock or Superstock car, or a stocker even to build into a A/S like Joe's. I prefer roller though and Joe wanted to sell the package.
Sold my B/SA '69 427 Vette in 1983 to Mike Trumble, Sr for $8500 complete at the U.S. Nationals. That price would be great today. Sammy Pizzolato has it today but it's a lot different now than it was then (much more liberal rules now in "Stock" classes).
mr 4 speed likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

Last edited by von; Mar 17th, 18 at 4:21 AM.
post #160 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 9:25 AM
Senior Tech Team

Are the rods finished or is there more to come ?
post #161 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 9:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Quote:

Mark,

It's your fault I was late for work; figured I had just enough time to watch one before I left for work, couldn't stop until I watched all three... Great videos, loving the attention to detail!
Keep them coming

I'm going to stop by the shop this week. Have a set of new AFR 315s I'd like you to prep for install and hopefully talk cam selection.

Allen
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
post #162 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 12:20 AM
Tech Team
L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpaticular View Post
I received my 467 from Mark Janurary 5.
It was dynoed just before Christmas. The rep from the dyno company was there to watch and wrote a report on my engine. It was supposed to be a 620 hp engine but made more. If you order an engine from Mark and follow along by phone during its process you will understand why these engines make the power they do. Mark is a no nonsense guy and told me the year warranty is even if I take it to the track every week and run hard. He wants these 467/620 engines on the track. A car set up for this engine can break 10 sec. But if you slack on your end that does not happen. He told me my car set up as it is can run low 10's with practice and the proper weather.
What set up would a car need to break 10 seconds with your engine?

How is your car set up now to hit low 10's?

What is the weight of your car with you in it at the track ready to race? L J

'70 chevelle 400 sb 305 heads 8.2 84mph,, 1/8th
post #163 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 7:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Stopped by Mark's shop yesterday, very helpful and a great guy to talk with

And boy, if those shop carts could talk.... Bet they have seen more big blocks than I could count
post #164 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

Mark's engines are truly a work of art-and are amazing runners. After he built the 468ci/468 horsepower and 530 ft lbs of torque for my nephews Chevelle, I got a call from a Team Chevelle member who has already posted in this thread...asking me what we thought of the engine-as he was contemplating purchasing one. I told him to go for it-he wouldn't be sorry!

During break in, my nephews Chevelle got almost 20MPG on a trip from Phoenix to Tucson. The engine is running a cast iron manifold and quadrajet, hooked to a 700R4.

Also, the guy who worked on my nephews Chevelle was so impressed with the build (he's had at least 10 of his builds featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines-with a few more "in the can") that at last count I think he's had 3 engines done by Mark so far

Another friend should be contacting Mark shortly....THANKS MARK!

Bruce

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

SOLD!!!!
post #165 of 216 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 18, 12:36 AM
Tech Team
L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotr View Post
What set up would a car need to break 10 seconds with your engine?

How is your car set up now to hit low 10's?

What is the weight of your car with you in it at the track ready to race? L J
I am well aware of VortecPro's abilities in engine building. I also am aware of his abilities in setting up his car to run his engines.

VortecPro sells engines, the name of the thread is How Its Built. A lot of people will see this thread and read that your car can run low 10's with this little 467. They are learning how the engine is built, but when they see it will run low 10's in a customers car, it will let them know that they can probably do the same,, but they do not know how your car is set up, such as rear gear, suspension mods, tires, transmission mods, converter size and stall, fuel pump, carb, ignition ,etc;

I figured VortecPro has a lot of confidence in your abilities with your car,, after all, you are MrPaticular,,,so I think it would help VortecPro furnish engines to people who are looking for people they can trust, to purchase from.

But added to practice and weather, is weight. L J

'70 chevelle 400 sb 305 heads 8.2 84mph,, 1/8th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 593 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.