Nuclear re-construction...going back together! - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Nuclear re-construction...going back together!

Getting the shortblock back together after the unfortunate piston melting excursion.

Luckily the cylinder and deck weren't damaged...so pretty much a freshen up deal.

Honed it with a flex hone. What appeared to be some marking stuff at the same spot as piston damage on the #1 cylinder wall was a little aluminum from piston. Came right off.

Cleaned up the block with the pressure washer (hadn't used it in two years...took a little time to get it back in the game!).

Threw some paint on it before oil drips all over it. The brass freeze plugs have been in it since original assy. 17 years ago. I like them to look shiny..so I cover them with grease when painting. I'll then use some Scotchbrite to shine them up.

Spent last night gapping the Speed Pro Hellfire rings...that's always fun.

Laid the Callies crank back in place with new bearings. Old ones looked fine...but "while you're there" right?

Went over all the pistons to be sure all was good. Ring grooves are excellent...no issues. The Oliver rods are also perfect. Rod bearings looked perfect on disassembly also.

Thought I had some rod bearings in stock...turns out I didn't. Ordered them from O'Reilly's at 7:30 this morning and picked up a few hours later. "While you're there" right?

Got 7 pistons loaded back in place. Still waiting on the new one from Diamond. Hopefully soon.

Also need heads back from Brodix...again hopefully soon. And a set of Cometic head gaskets haven't got here yet. Everything else I think I have.

I've got a new timing belt to install on the Jesel belt drive. Other one looks fine but it's been there a long time too. Also new seals for it.

The cam was sent to Bullet to see about re-grinding it with a few more degrees of duration and re-arranging the timing events somewhat. I'm spinning the heck out of this thing (more than I thought I would) so might as well tweak it a little.

I've got a new set of roller lifters to install. The old ones have been there for 5+ years as well as took a 2500 mile road trip when it was N/A.

So, I'm going back together as quick as possible. I was scheduled to do a track rental last weekend, but of course had to bow out. But I will be back at it as soon as this thing is back together!

JIM Attached Images

'67 Vette-555"/Gforce 5 Spd/Dana 60 IRS-3.07's

Best ET
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best MPH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

200 MPH at TX Mile

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 1:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Looks good man, nothing has been more fun for me in my short car experience than building a sbc.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 5:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage
Re: Nuclear re-construction...going back together!

Looks good!
Always fun to assemble a engine.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4Ē wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 7:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Here I am afraid to let a hair fall out of my head while I am near my block and you just toss it all together like nothing.

I need a bigger man card.
bigmachd, BossHogg69 and Thor454 like this.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Here I am afraid to let a hair fall out of my head while I am near my block and you just toss it all together like nothing.

I need a bigger man card.

LOL..just gotta jump in there!!!

It helps that me and this engine have been together for 17 years.

It knows I'm going to spank it every chance I get...and I know where to look for the bruises!!

JIM
Thor454 and 91c1500sleeper like this.

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 12:01 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

uhhhh, is that a SBC? looks like a BBC to me.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Who said anything about a small block? It's a 555"....but I guess today that ain't too big!!

Jim.
Thor454 likes this.

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 1:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Much to admire about an engine which has been in service for 17 years.
A little tune up from time to time keeps it in the happy zone.
Thor454 likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 1:40 PM
Tech Team
Rob

Looking good Jim
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 9:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I knew there was a reason you were being quiet.
Thor454 likes this.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
Much to admire about an engine which has been in service for 17 years.
A little tune up from time to time keeps it in the happy zone.
17 years!! Who says big inch BBCs arenít tough??
Looks great! Thought I was the only person crazy enough to polish brass plugs, glad to see someone else doing it!

Greg C.
1969 Chevelle Malibu
New 496 "The Dud"
Embarrassingly slow!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
17 years!! Who says big inch BBCs arenít tough??
Looks great! Thought I was the only person crazy enough to polish brass plugs, glad to see someone else doing it!

Run she may..but shine she must!!

And contrary to what folks might say...they aren't scared to spin up a little!

JIM

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
I knew there was a reason you were being quiet.

Busy....busy.......

JIM

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 6:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Hey Jim,
Impressive as always...Curious as to the valve springs you use, and, being a 'throw away item' how long do you keep them in ?

Steve
68 BISCAYNE 4060lb
468-9.4:1
1.76 60FT Drag Radials
11.69 [email protected] 116.30 MPH
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 17, 1:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
JIM

The ones currently on these heads are what came from Brodix years ago. I believe they are Manley NexTek's. Knock on wood...I've never had one break over the years. My N/A cam was very, very easy on springs and even after years of use and they had lost tension down to 400 psi OPEN they were still revving 7500 RPM with no issues.

I didn't test these before I sent them in to Brodix...but I'll know how they ck out as they freshen the heads.

But overall...it's actually not something I've ever worried about. I ck them occasionally and replace them every few years maybe. Let's see...in 17 years...my old heads came with a set....and I think I changed them twice. And then there is this set that has 5 years of running on them if that gives you an idea.

JIM
Thor454 likes this.

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 587 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.