Does an engine really back pressure?? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 8:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Does an engine really back pressure??

I have always heard that an engine NEEDS back pressure from the exhaust, for that reason you should not have an exhaust that is TOO free flowing. Is this BS or what? If so, why?
Yes I'm already into the cold weather questions

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: Does an engine really back pressure??

Total BS. What works best is an exhaust that flows smoothly and freely, and sucks the burned gasses out of the cylinders, sort of like how water is siphoned through a hose. For further confirmation on the subject, research how the Ramchargers (Chrysler engineering guys actually) came up with the whole ram charging idea, and how it worked. Same ideas works on the exhaust, same as it did on the intake side.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:07 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

I'll leave this here.

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:09 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
They also did a header size video, guess which one made more power? Hint: It wasnt the smaller one.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

That Engine Masters has a commercial for everything...
Clint44 likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

On an F.I. computered Harley I lost low end by pulling the mufflers out of a set of 2" Python pipes, I then put some type of restrictors in and it was good again, I'm not a tuner though so it might have been tuned to be fine with the open pipes, this bike was also tuned before hand on a chassis type dyno and has a dynajet programmer on it, so I think it only matters on something with a computer

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:57 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

This is a confusing topic that has nothing to do with maximum horsepower and everything to do with driveability of a street driven vehicle. In your horsepower equation there is velocity. Implicitly the higher the velocity the more horsepower. BUT on a street driven car you need maximum velocity at a lower RPM than maximum and you can make that work by closely matching the restricted intake and exhaust systems. When you open them up, they generally don't perform well on the bottom end. That's why most stock cars can easily make more peak power by increasing flow (removing restrictions).

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
On an F.I. computered Harley I lost low end by pulling the mufflers out of a set of 2" Python pipes, I then put some type of restrictors in and it was good again, I'm not a tuner though so it might have been tuned to be fine with the open pipes, this bike was also tuned before hand on a chassis type dyno and has a dynajet programmer on it, so I think it only matters on something with a computer
I was going to ask if it was tuned for the open exhaust.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
They also did a header size video, guess which one made more power? Hint: It wasnt the smaller one.
No, it was the right one...

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 4:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

The Harley was dyno tuned with the mufflers in the pipes, I ended up buying some type of restrictor baffle deals and installed them and it ran like it did after the tune but had the Harley sound, I cant have a quiet Harley, lol
MarkP likes this.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
No, it was the right one...

The left one worked, too!

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 4:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
The Harley was dyno tuned with the mufflers in the pipes, I ended up buying some type of restrictor baffle deals and installed them and it ran like it did after the tune but had the Harley sound, I cant have a quiet Harley, lol
My son and I put Vance Hines pipes on his 2003 Wide Glide (my Harley that resides in his garage 1-1/2 hours away) and it made no difference except for making it sound AWSOME!!! It has a carb with electronic ignition. Yes, I even bought the pipes for my Harley in his garage...something isn't right here...

On my first Harley, a used '75 XLCH Sportster, the first thing I did was go to the chopper shop and buy a set of 2" drag pipes. It ran fine.

Yes Rick, I love rumble, too!
shovelrick likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 5:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

On harleys like everything else i like the quietest system that doesnt hurt hp. It is so much nicer to ride especially when you lean on the throttle without having your brain rattle out of your ears. I try to tell those straight pipe guys how much power they give up compared to a well designed 2 into one collectored system but it falls on deaf ears. Pun intended. And......... back pressure is never ever ever good. Like already said it's about Scavenging and velocity and the intended RPM range
von, dyno jonn and Molly's 70 like this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I have a 93 VMAX I bought this spring.
I can't get myself to take the 30lb muffler off it.
I have slip ons but kinda like the subtle rumble it makes with the stock one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2756.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	500433  

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 9:51 PM
rkd
Senior Tech Team
Ron

It more or less comes down to the effect of the exhaust piping and mufflers on the gas flow leaving the cylinders. A well designed system will set up some waves that assist in scavenging the spent gas out of the cylinder. Theres a bunch of gas flow and fluid dynamics involved and a good bit of trial and error. On a HD there are only two cylinders, so they are somewhat more sensitive to the effect of pipe length, shape, etc, that say a V8. As noted, even exhaust sound can vary from annoying to wonderful on the same engine with just a muffler or pipe change.

Note that turbos do add some impediment to free flow, but do recover some otherwise wasted energy to make more power. This stuff is fascinating, but being an ME took another level of calculus over civil, so I settled for being a civil and doing roads not cars.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 621 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.