427 bbc question - Page 9 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 17, 4:35 PM

Re: 427 bbc question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
You're killing me, Joe. LOL You too, Gene.
4.500 bore
6.700 long rod
3.76 Stroke crank

427 with a .250" over bore. Put that in a close ratio 6 speed.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 17, 4:56 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Hey Straub, that will be the last iteration of a high revving rat in my old junk. Nice lil' 505!

Been trying to blow up my old L88 for twenty years now though........ damn thing wont BLOW....!
Thor454 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #123 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 17, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Hey Straub, that will be the last iteration of a high revving rat in my old junk. Nice lil' 505!

Been trying to blow up my old L88 for twenty years now though........ damn thing wont BLOW....!
I tried to get Bill Waters to try one. I'd love to do a 4.6 x 3.75 x 6.700. Put a raised runner on it around around 3" of MCSA and let it eat at 7500 plus.
427L88 and Thor454 like this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?

post #124 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 6:42 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Chris, I **LOVE** the way you think sir!
Thor454 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #125 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 8:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Nova View Post
Gene, the 4.6 X 3.75 stroke BBc is nothing new or secret. It is a very well proven and well thought out old combo from the '80's that still being refined today. That's nothing new in the performance racing era.

These are old NHRA Pro Stock 500" combo's, big bore short stroke that were the norm till the 4.9 and bigger B/S blocks we used. 4.625 is usually about a big a bore you'd go in the standard 4.84 B/S blocks. Nick Scavo used this combo in his '65 Impala. We've used it plenty of times with very good results. NSCA NPS car, another NSCA Record setting Super Modified car, Current OSCA EZ Street class champion and the pump gas '68 Nova. But some of these cars DID use smaller bore, but were the same principals.

The 4.6 X 3.75 deal seems to be the ticket to run fast, especially if you're on small tires or "traction limited" type cars.
LOL...yeah, Gene. What the heck. Agreeing with, or liking something Straub says is going to get you in trouble with Mr Pro Stock here... you should know better. Hope you learned your lesson.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #126 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 9:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

The 'ole 430 CID build that the Grump ran back in the day always had my attention
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grump18.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	493378  
steelcomp, Thor454 and p40 like this.

post #127 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 6:26 AM
Tech Team
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
The 'ole 430 CID build that the Grump ran back in the day always had my attention
mr 4 speed, I had to research and then watch videos of the car, since it has so much character/history, thanks!

I will never experience the speeds of this type of car, but it sure if fun to watch them GO....

Corey
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #128 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 7:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Scott, give it a rest!!!! I wasn't attacking your BOSS, I was merely stating how the 498 "ish" combos are far from new, but are a very good combo that's been refined for years.
No, you were basically discrediting someone who agreed with him though. No one said these combinations were new. It didn't need pointing out, other than to give yourself the opportunity to do some more bragging.
Quote:
And YES, my Crew Chief has been a competitive Pro Stock racer since 1991, racing PS for 26 years. FACTORY FORD SPONSORED when they had the "Glidden" car with Ford Quality care. And You might have worked on MY Pro Stock stiff when you were at Dart. Maskin's lent a big hand to the guys that do my stuff. They used to stay over at Richards house and stayed with Ray Franks (pro filier heads) place as well.
Oh, who gives a flip. More name dropping, John?
Quote:
YES I have Pro Stock equipment. YES my crew chief has a current Pro Stock car. Do you have any experience in this field to lend to the conversation???
The conversation has nothing to do with anything Pro Stock but as usual, it's all about you.
Every thread you post in screams "Look at ME look at ME!!!!"
You're like a spoiled four year old who just can't get enough attention.
It gets old, John, very old and it's not impressive.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

Last edited by steelcomp; Nov 10th, 17 at 10:58 AM.
post #129 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Alex

Quote:
This message is hidden because steelcomp is on your ignore list.

Scott maybe you should try it too. Just because you can't keep up don't hate other that have the technology and wherewithal to do it.

John, I have enjoyed some of your stories on what you can do with older stock'ish parts. However, you have only been here a year, and you do seem to have some "LOOK AT ME!" issues as Scott said, or maybe I'm just reading you wrong too. Anyway, I'll help you out with the "hidden message problem" lol...

Quote:
Scott, give it a rest!!!! I wasn't attacking your BOSS, I was merely stating how the 498 "ish" combos are far from new, but are a very good combo that's been refined for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
No, you were basically discrediting someone who agreed with him though. No one said these combinations were new. Id didn;t need pointing out, other than to give yourself the opportunity to do some more bragging.

Quote:
And YES, my Crew Chief has been a competitive Pro Stock racer since 1991, racing PS for 26 years. FACTORY FORD SPONSORED when they had the "Glidden" car with Ford Quality care. And You might have worked on MY Pro Stock stiff when you were at Dart. Maskin's lent a big hand to the guys that do my stuff. They used to stay over at Richards house and stayed with Ray Franks (pro filier heads) place as well.
Quote:
Oh, who gives a flip. More name dropping, John?

Quote:
YES I have Pro Stock equipment. YES my crew chief has a current Pro Stock car. Do you have any experience in this field to lend to the conversation???
Quote:
The conversation has nothing to do with anything Pro Stock but as usual, it's all about you.
Every thread you post in screams "Look at ME look at ME!!!!"
You're like a spoiled four year old who just can't get enough attention.
It gets old, John, very old and it's not impressive.

'89 Pontiac 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am #1326
(No it's not a BBC, but its just as fun at 28psi)

'70 SS 396 Chevelle (4 speed, factory cowl induction with flapper and pins, sporting a 454 and emblems to match, and owned since 1985)
Currently undergoing a restoration...
post #130 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 11:17 AM
Team Member
George

Reading thru this thread makes me think about doing the bbc I picked up a couple months ago.....only a set of rods, pistons, intake and cam away.

Been kinda keeping an eye out for some

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #131 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo71 View Post
Reading thru this thread makes me think about doing the bbc I picked up a couple months ago.....only a set of rods, pistons, intake and cam away.

Been kinda keeping an eye out for some
Don't forget to add accessories,hedders,water pump ,engine mounts, Larger rad, front springs....

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #132 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Team Chevelle has a lot of people that are not well educated in the performance field
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I do not agree with that statement.
Thor454 likes this.

post #133 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=EZ Nova;10270282]

Team Chevelle has a lot of people that are not well educated in the performance field or have the experiences of a more higher Hp car. Thus the rash of lower, (less than 7000RPM BBc) and the hyd rollers. As well, these less informed individuals don't realize that 99% of the time, they can run OEM stuff with the same results, but that doesn't line the pockets of these 2 individuals. [QUOTE]

I hope to hell when talking to your "cabinet" customers you don't belittle them like this. I fore one find this group of guys among the sharpest on the net when it comes to experience with the BBC platform. I for one will never have you wealth that you have obtained while making cabinets, but I am thankful I will never have your attitude towards fellow man.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

post #134 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I do not agree with that statement.
I agree with you. One of the best bunch of BBC guys on the planet right here.
mr 4 speed, TTA1326 and Thor454 like this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

post #135 of 149 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Yes you are right, we all have opinions. This group are nice guys, more "street" oriented. Which is fine, that's what they are. But you certainly can not compare the group on here with YB, Insidecomp, Inside top alcohol, Class racer, UMTR or speedtalk etc and many other sites. For a group of hardcore racing is not what this sites about. And therefore many don't have the insight into these forms of racing.

It's not a slam at the site at all. There are some pretty sharp guys here. Wolf place, Mark J, Aukui, Camking, etc. But as a whole, it's more of the 10/11 second type cars that are street/strip and more street. You don't see threads about C/F brakes, Ti suspension, or even Big Chief/Spread port head/sheetmetal intakes. The general knowledge base isn't as deep in performance as the above mentioned sites.
Obviously this just isn't the place for you. You really just don't seem to fit in here John. Obviously not the echelon of people you prefer to deal with. I think you like hanging around here because you feel like a big fish in a little pond but guess what; When it comes to hands on experience and knowledge, you can't hold a candle to even the least experienced here who at least do their own work, build their own engines and have a humble, appreciative attitude toward others who do the same. You need to be around other people like yourself who think their money deserves, no, DEMANDS some sort of respect and notoriety. I don't think you're going to find that here and because of that, I can appreciate your frustration and animosity.
Now go away.
BB68, fr8dog, b&b's69 and 1 others like this.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 689 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.