Team Chevelle banner

Mark Jones 467

104K views 630 replies 69 participants last post by  mrpaticular 
#1 ·
I have talked to Mark several times in the last few years. Earlier this year I called Mark again and we discussed which 467. We settled on the solid flat tappet version. October is the expected delivery. I think my sons and grandson are more excited than I am. It is going into a 69' Chevelle 300 Deluxe hardtop.

#3 ·
I ordered it around July 4 knowing I would not get to use it much this year. Mark said about 3 months. As we all know machine shop delays come up. He has encountered a few problems with parts with other builds which means a better parts list for my engine. And, when you run an engine things show up and have to be addressed.

#4 ·
Now we definitely need to meet up in person!

Very happy for you. Mark is a stand up guy who gives you amazing motors at a very fair price.

Just be sure to ask for new rear tires for Christmas.

And Easter. And your birthday....... :)

Reactions: Boosted69Malibu
#14 ·
I plan on using Edlebrocks Victor water pump 8851. The inlet hose diameter is supposed to be larger than stock. What hose are you using?
I am having trouble finding a throttle return bracket that will work with a drop base air cleaner, any suggestions?
Any reminders on small parts I may need?
I should have the engine later this month.

#17 ·
Mine should be here anytime. If you haven't searched his youtube channel, you may be able to find it on the dyno. Here's mine.

Can't wait to get this thing dropped in.

#19 ·
Reactions: Thor454 and Steve R
#27 ·
I use the Taylor wires, stand up well. Get a set of the GM performance wire looms, part 12495502. Depending on the valve covers you run, you may have to grind down the brackets so they sit flat on the valve cover. I had to with my GM cast covers. Stamped chrome ones no problem. These looms are cheap, but look great.

#22 ·
Donnow if its street ( oem-style) or race billet under your hood Rick, but Taylor 135 boots is all I ever used, with coated pipes. These are "roll your owns", not precuts. 180 ends on the other side for the full 1967 "medusa" look. And an MSD box you cant find easily unless you carefully follow the wiring!

Header wrap for race cars. It'll eat the headers on a street car. Thins them out to cheese. BTDT.

And academically, IF I had had Mark build me a 4" stroke 468, with my 2.98:1 M23Z, I might even opt for the OEM code 3.07" gears, in lieu of the 3.31 it sports now. I'd also take the pipes down a size to help balance that.

#29 ·
I received the engine Jan.5th. Weather permitting I have been trial fitting all external pieces. First the starter didn't fit and I reclocked it. Plenty of room for starter and oil filter removal with the Hedman headers. Pulleys gave me a fit. I have decided to get the repo 396 ci, 375 hp crank and water pump pulleys. I had a small block fan shroud on it but now want a 1971-1972 big block 2 piece unit but am having trouble finding the correct one. I think the oem # is 3986905. Not that I want an oem shroud but I do want one that is of the same 2 piece design. The Chevy chrome timing cover is keeping the Edlebrock water pump from seating on the block. I will need to grind some off the pump but not until I get the pulleys.

#35 ·
More tuning today. It is now idling at 1500 with 6 psi fuel pressure. The primary float is a little above 1/2 on the window. Secondary is 1/2. Mark said idle should be 1400. I'll have to get a dial back timing light to be more accurate.
I temporarily raised the engine 1/4 on the passenger side and 3/8 on the drivers side for clearance. After the front end alignment I cut the bolts on the passenger side. I will send Mark the steering shaft for him to make me a new one.
Exhaust tomorrow.

#36 ·
Dang, it sounds like you are making a custom install over there! Usually they slip in like my feet in an old pair of boots. Oh well, worth all the effort and then some!!