Back to original. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 8:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Re: Back to original.

gaudy gold....puke. sorry I absolutely hate it. love any other color. go figure both chevelle's I've bought that were black and white respectively were gold underneath from the factory. i'd only put it gold if I was reselling it and it was a valuable car.

69 Chevelle Convert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I looked at a gold '69 SS last summer before purchasing the burgundy maroon SS I now own. The gold car had a decent body, underside and interior but the paint didn't cover properly, the engine was suspect (way down on power, but perhaps just need tuning) the car didn't steer/handle right and the asking price was about $8-10K too high, considering it needed a re-paint and had engine and steering/front suspension problems.

That said, I vote for Chuck to repaint his red car in the original gold.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 11:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

What do you guys think about the 2 stage paints in the original colors? My Chevelle was just painted LeMans Blue in 2 stage, and it looks really good. The metallics really stand up every which way, which really changes the way it looks. It isn't like single stage, so is that a bad thing in the "all original" cars like Mike's (69SHEVL) car? Mike, are you painting yours in single stage to look more original?

In my opinion, that Olympic Gold would look really good in 2 stage with maybe a little pearl in it. I also love the deep maroon candy paint, but the car has to be modified with all kinds of other shiny stuff to pull it off. It depends on the look you're going for. I want mine to look stock, but modified enough to be shiny.

You can see what I mean in my "Garage". My old paint is right next to my new paint, and you can really see the difference. If you look at the "Under the Hood" section of my garage you'll see my engine with one gold Harley and one maroon Harley in the background, so I'm kind of like all of the colors described above. I DO like shiny!

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Wayne

Garage

I now paint em any color I want because it's my car. Last one I painted back to original was a 66 SS car in Turquoise Metallic green. Paint was great, but I hated the color once it was done.
There is a reason the car dealers call it "retail red". If selling it down the road is even a remote possibility I would think hard on it.
Me myself, I like the gold. I am finishing up a 72 El Camino that I painted back to code #43 Gulf Green knowing a lot of people out there hate the color. I did it because I have always been fond of the color and wanted to do one that color for years. Kept chickening out and going black or red. My 72 was originally the gold color.

My $0.02

Later,
Wayne
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 4:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
There is a reason the car dealers call it "retail red". If selling it down the road is even a remote possibility I would think hard on it.
There's also another reason why there are a lot of red cars: people like them, simple as that! As for the gold, I'm not really a fan of it unless it's the '71-'72 "Placer Gold" color which I find gorgeous!

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 4:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
There's also another reason why there are a lot of red cars: people like them, simple as that! As for the gold, I'm not really a fan of it unless it's the '71-'72 "Placer Gold" color which I find gorgeous!

Claude.

This is what I read at first Claude! "Pacer Gold" I need glasses I guess!

They come in red, too!

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 5:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
This is what I read at first Claude! "Pacer Gold" I need glasses I guess!
Mark…it's "Placer Gold" with an "L" … not "Pacer" !!

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 6:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
Mike, are you painting yours in single stage to look more original?
Might have been quadruple stage because is seemed like I paid 4 times as much.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 7:22 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
gaudy gold....puke. sorry I absolutely hate it. love any other color. go figure both chevelle's I've bought that were black and white respectively were gold underneath from the factory. i'd only put it gold if I was reselling it and it was a valuable car.
I bet there are many of us that feel that way about some colors.
I know there are some colors that I would not paint even if they were the original color.
That gold isn't my favorite but I think it looks pretty darn good on 69's

I'm glad that everybody don't like the same things.
ALL vehicles the same color would be awful boring.

Speaking of red, Porsche Guards Red is the prettiest red there is.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pors...qHDeQQ_AUIBigB
motordrum likes this.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 8:04 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Your car in red looks very good, but I must admit it would look so much better in Gold!

Freddy
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

In my earlier post I said how the dealership did a complete repaint on my 69 Chevelle SS that I ordered in Olympic Gold from the factory. I didn't mention I had them clear coat the car back then also which made the color pop even more. Today my 71 Malibu is in the factory color it came in of Cotton Wood Green. I can honestly say I hated this color green when these cars were new. They just looked so dull looking. In later years I went to a car show and saw a Chevelle in the Cotton Wood Green and you could tell it was clear coated because the paint also popped on the car and stood out because it was different. Fast forward to 2012 I was looking for a new toy and I found my Malibu, it had all the good stuff in it and guess what it was Cotton Wood Green. This car is clear coated too and I'm surprised at how many have complimented on the color and it's rarity on the car. It's funny how just clear coating a car can make the color pop so much.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

Last edited by HKalin; Jan 31st, 17 at 10:53 PM.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 10:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Even though I have red and black 71, I vote GOLD! Gold looks really nice
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 17, 2:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Never took any pictures of mine but this is as close to the way I remember it.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

Last edited by HKalin; Feb 1st, 17 at 5:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 986 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.