Boxing in frame - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 8:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Boxing in frame

Question, for those of you who have boxed the frame, what steps did you take to prepare for it? I am doing this in my garage where the floor is not so level due to cracks. I was thinking of take some angle iron, welding on some adjustable feet and putting 4 on each side. 1 in the front and back, and 2 in the middle to support the chassis. Weld them to the side of the chassis and adjust accordingly. Once level I would weld in support angle iron to keep from twisting.

Are there any other steps I should take or an easier route I should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 11:44 AM
Tech Team
Jake

Garage
Re: Boxing in frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Question, for those of you who have boxed the frame, what steps did you take to prepare for it? I am doing this in my garage where the floor is not so level due to cracks. I was thinking of take some angle iron, welding on some adjustable feet and putting 4 on each side. 1 in the front and back, and 2 in the middle to support the chassis. Weld them to the side of the chassis and adjust accordingly. Once level I would weld in support angle iron to keep from twisting.

Are there any other steps I should take or an easier route I should do?
Good morning Robert...which kit did you buy? I ask because the Hellwig FX box kit recommends welding some 2" x 2" channel across the top of the frame for bracing. I would think that jack stands with shims would be good enough to level it. I haven't installed a boxing kit yet but i am about at the same step you are. I removed the frame from my 70 Chevelle this weekend and put the body on a rotisserie. I may have moved a little quick because the Hellwig boxing kit adds another body mount and i should have laid that out BEFORE removing the frame...Oh well, live and learn the hard way!!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 697ibew View Post
Good morning Robert...which kit did you buy? I ask because the Hellwig FX box kit recommends welding some 2" x 2" channel across the top of the frame for bracing. I would think that jack stands with shims would be good enough to level it. I haven't installed a boxing kit yet but i am about at the same step you are. I removed the frame from my 70 Chevelle this weekend and put the body on a rotisserie. I may have moved a little quick because the Hellwig boxing kit adds another body mount and i should have laid that out BEFORE removing the frame...Oh well, live and learn the hard way!!!
Same kit as you. I saw that too about the body mount. Not once did I se it posted to have the body on for this to be installed until after I bought the kit. I went through all the threads on these kits and never once read about that either.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Also, I have no easy way of getting my body back on my frame. It took a long while to get it off the frame by jacking up the front, put some cinderblocks down, then moving the jack to the rear and doing the same. Kinda of sucks since I wanted to have the entire frame powder coated after installing this kit. But it looks like that won't be an option now. Ill have to see if I can find some sort of measurements in order to do this without the body on.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 12:54 PM
Tech Team
Jake

Garage

Yea, i am sure it's much easier doing it the way specified in the instructions but i think that i can do it without. I was going to look at that yesterday but ran out of time. Is your body on a rotisserie or cart?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 1:02 PM
Tech Team
Jake

Garage

My body is on a rotisserie and i was thinking attaching an engine hoist to the upper front fender bolts at the top of the firewall to hold the front of the car up. I can use the rotisserie on the back of the car to hold that end up and throw some wheel skates under the frame to slide it back under the body. I'm not sure if the hoist will interfere with this plan...I'm hoping that i can squeeze it back in there if needed. Excuse the ugly mug of my buddy!!! haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	411393  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 1:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

My body is on cinder blocks and wood. My frame is down to just the frame now, all suspension has been taken off of it. Ill have to try and figure something out.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 1:12 PM
Tech Team
Jake

Garage

alright...let me know how it works out. I'm planning on just using measurements to hit the new body mount. Without looking at it, my only concern is the height of the new mount. I think that the floor pan brace that this new mount attaches to is higher in elevation than the existing mounts. Maybe i am wrong but i thought the floor pan rises. Good luck.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 8:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

What "new" body mount are you guys talking about?

The body mounts have room for adjustment. I boxed my frame in my driveway on wood blocks. Didn't brace a thing. The only place it might flex if you over heat it is in the middle of the body section rail to rail. so you can weld some steel across to keep that in line. if you weld properly in 2 inch stiches at the top and bottom of the frame box and let cool it won't move anywhere. it doesn't care if its level as if its out of level the piece you are putting in is the same out of level.

69 Chevelle Convert
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 8:55 AM
Tech Team
Jake

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
What "new" body mount are you guys talking about?

The body mounts have room for adjustment. I boxed my frame in my driveway on wood blocks. Didn't brace a thing. The only place it might flex if you over heat it is in the middle of the body section rail to rail. so you can weld some steel across to keep that in line. if you weld properly in 2 inch stiches at the top and bottom of the frame box and let cool it won't move anywhere. it doesn't care if its level as if its out of level the piece you are putting in is the same out of level.
Hi Terrence,
Both of us purchased the Hellwig kit. This kit adds an additional inboard body mount to the Chevelle's. I agree with you on the welding.

Frame FX by Hellwig | Hellwig Products
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 9:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

from what it looks like, I should be able to mount everything up on the frame rails and weld them in, including the new body mount. I can send the frame off to powder coat and when its back lower the body to the frame and mark where the nut will need to be welding onto the under body. I hope to have the body on a rotisserie by that point.

Robert
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 9:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 697ibew View Post
Hi Terrence,
Both of us purchased the Hellwig kit. This kit adds an additional inboard body mount to the Chevelle's. I agree with you on the welding.

funny their install instructions link didn't work. I found it. So they want you to weld in a new body nut. should be fun if you don't have a rotisserie. they sure do make it complicated. not sure if that new mount is good or not. suppose it uses the body to resist torsion but its so close to the original I don't think its a lot. now if they put flat steel on both sides of that body brace connecting both sides of the frame with a 4 inch piece with exhaust cutouts it would be an improvement.

here's mine in another post for 40 bucks in steel. https://www.chevelles.com/forums/atta...6&d=1478891260
Sorry don't know how to have it here too.

69 Chevelle Convert
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 9:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I did the angle iron with nuts welded into the bottom so you could adjust with a bolt. I can tell you that when I would move one, the other corner would do the SAME thing because there is no weight on it to twist. So by adjusting any point with the legs you have welded in will just raise or lower the entire frame. You would need to somehow strap a corner to the floor in order to actually change the twist.

I agree with Kaisen, if the body fit when you took it off...which it did, and you weld it in the same position without heating it up too much, then it "should" go back into those same mounts. I know mine did. I also had to do some repairs on the mounting holes, so I was a bit concerned about that. But all worked out.

On the new body mount, I wouldn't just measure. I would figure out a way to get the frame back under the car. I did the same with an engine hoist and jacks. I would move my frame around on a creeper. I have had the body on a off a bunch of times now. I would have loved to do it all at once, but didn't quite work out that way. For Jake, I thought those rotisseries you could take out the middle section to run the frame back in there?

I am jealous, doing the boxing was some of my favorite parts of my build so far.

Dan

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 1:14 PM
Tech Team
Jake

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
For Jake, I thought those rotisseries you could take out the middle section to run the frame back in there?

Dan
I can remove the middle tube but the issue is that the frame will hit the rotisserie bolted to the front of the car. The front rotisserie basically sits where the cross member and a-arms would be. The back has plenty of real estate to maneuver anything around it.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 2:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
an easier route I should do?
I just ran across this kit, it really looks nice, but there is always a price...

Free Shipping: https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/CH30614/

Our You Tube Vids:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 978 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.