For sandblasted frame: POR15 or Chassis Black or? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 16, 11:24 PM
Tech Team
Will

Re: For sandblasted frame: POR15 or Chassis Black or?

Another point I want to make about SPI. Their customer service/tech line is amazing. The tech line is the owner Barry's cell phone. If you have any doubts, he can answer your questions. This may not be as big of a deal for the professional painters, but it means a whole lot to me, a hobbyist. I hate my local paint stores. I know more than they do, which isn't saying a whole lot, and what I do know is from this forum. On top of that, because I am in a small town, they overprice everything. SPI has free ups delivery, and it may even be next day. I live in Georgia, so I got mine next day, but either way, they get it out quick.
TerryAT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 3:55 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Thanks
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 1:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Iím one who has had fantastic results with POR15, but like anything else Ė only for the proper application and then of course like any other product; itís in the preparation. POR15 is not for everything, but itís great for a lot of applications.
If it goes on bare steel that has been cleaned and treated with their metal prep; itíll adhere forever, be harder than any paint, and stand up to abrasion and chemical attack. If you put it over painted surfaces or surfaces that were not properly treated (per their instructions); itíll eventually peel off like itís a garbage product. A freshly blasted frame is a perfect application for POR15.
For my frame Iím going to put one coat of the standard glossy POR15, followed by one coat of their chassis black to get the duller, closer to a stock appearing finish. This has worked extremely well for me with applications in the past, so this is how Iím going on my Chevelle.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 1:48 PM
Tech Team
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelchevelle View Post
Another point I want to make about SPI. Their customer service/tech line is amazing. The tech line is the owner Barry's cell phone. If you have any doubts, he can answer your questions. This may not be as big of a deal for the professional painters, but it means a whole lot to me, a hobbyist. I hate my local paint stores. I know more than they do, which isn't saying a whole lot, and what I do know is from this forum. On top of that, because I am in a small town, they overprice everything. SPI has free ups delivery, and it may even be next day. I live in Georgia, so I got mine next day, but either way, they get it out quick.
I second that. I just spoke with Barry last week. I am a hobbyist and paint motorcycles on the side. I am restoring a 67 Chevelle and I had some questions. About an hour later I had all the questions answered, positive help, paint brand suggestions, application direction, and more. I told him hands down the best customer service ever from any company I have dealt with, he WINS hands down.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 2:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD396 View Post
I second that. I just spoke with Barry last week. I am a hobbyist and paint motorcycles on the side. I am restoring a 67 Chevelle and I had some questions. About an hour later I had all the questions answered, positive help, paint brand suggestions, application direction, and more. I told him hands down the best customer service ever from any company I have dealt with, he WINS hands down.
I as well. I'd pay significantly more for his product just due to their help and customer service. Great outfit and have heard tons of great reviews from people using his epoxy

69 Chevelle Convert
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 2:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

I'd definitely go with "chassis black". That "Por15" stuff isn't worth s**t. I've used before and after a while, it all peeled off like a sheet of paper.
I decided to go with gloss black for my car's frame after it got sandblastedÖ

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 3:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelchevelle View Post

I agree, painted my engine compartment with SPI black epoxy, looks great. SPI epoxy has UV inhibitors so you don't need to top coat. I also paint most of my small parts with it after sand blasting, in 60 days it's almost as hard as powder coat.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 5:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

For frames, suspension, floors and related parts I use PPG HSP Polyurethane primer or PPG CRE Epoxy. I then topcoat with PPG AUE satin black. These products are in their commercial line, are inexpensive and have excellent adhesion, durability and corrosion protection. They don't get any mention on these sites because few have exposure to reps, those that worked at the training centers or a counterperson who has a greater interest in their job than most.

HSP can be used as a stand alone product and is CAT approved. An excavator will see more abuse than a classic car. HSP dries hard and to a semi gloss but scratching can leave a mark. That is why I generally topcoat with AUE. CRE dries very hard, no shrinkage and can be sanded without clogging.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 6:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
For frames, suspension, floors and related parts I use PPG HSP Polyurethane primer or PPG CRE Epoxy. I then topcoat with PPG AUE satin black. These products are in their commercial line, are inexpensive and have excellent adhesion, durability and corrosion protection. They don't get any mention on these sites because few have exposure to reps, those that worked at the training centers or a counterperson who has a greater interest in their job than most.

HSP can be used as a stand alone product and is CAT approved. An excavator will see more abuse than a classic car. HSP dries hard and to a semi gloss but scratching can leave a mark. That is why I generally topcoat with AUE. CRE dries very hard, no shrinkage and can be sanded without clogging.

PPG also has AUE-370 which is a direct to metal paint, it can NOT be flattened so can only be used as a gloss finish. I've painted a lot of stuff with it and have had very good success, it's very tough stuff and is a way better product than POR15. I've also used the CRE and other AUE lines, PPG has a nice variety in their commercial line for lower budget projects without compromising all the quality.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 6:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
Iím one who has had fantastic results with POR15, but like anything else Ė only for the proper application and then of course like any other product; itís in the preparation. POR15 is not for everything, but itís great for a lot of applications.
If it goes on bare steel that has been cleaned and treated with their metal prep; itíll adhere forever, be harder than any paint, and stand up to abrasion and chemical attack. If you put it over painted surfaces or surfaces that were not properly treated (per their instructions); itíll eventually peel off like itís a garbage product. A freshly blasted frame is a perfect application for POR15.
For my frame Iím going to put one coat of the standard glossy POR15, followed by one coat of their chassis black to get the duller, closer to a stock appearing finish. This has worked extremely well for me with applications in the past, so this is how Iím going on my Chevelle.
I've also had very good luck with POR-15. Like David said - Good preparation will produce good results.
I painted the underside and frame of my 69 Mustang in 2007 and the frame, suspension components and underside of my 72 Chevelle in 2009. The frame and suspension components got topcoated. Both cars are holding up great and show no signs of peeling or chipping on any of the POR painted surfaces. All surfaces were freshly sandblasted before painting.

Russ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 6:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Ive also had good luck with POR on my frame and underside.
It needs to be applied over tooth,not smooth.
Its very durable,and held up five years and counting on the street.I used the gray.
I didnt topcoat it because if the underside gets any sun,Ive got bigger problems,lol.
I'd have a hard time putting it over something freshly prepared though.

FWIW,POR is unbeatable in between fenders and braces for rustproofing,and all those other crevices a spraygun will not reach,or a sandblaster.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 16, 7:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
I thought it was great after I first applied it to my frame. Then I started to drive my car. Then I started to see how well it holds up. It's not all its cracked up to be And I wish I never heard of it.
I agree with this. It was here on these forums I first heard about POR15 and its benefits. That was 10 years ago. I hate the stuff, it's crap. It doesn't belong anywhere near a car restoration IMO.

My 1966 SS396 Project:

1972 GTO:
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 16, 9:57 AM
Administrator

Garage

Have used POR 15 on several projects all held up well. For those that had issues it was probably the prep that caused it, especially if it peeled off in sheets. The Nova subframe was coated with POR after blasting, the car was driven almost daily and in all kinds of weather and after 6 years still looked new and was very easy to clean.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 16, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Have used POR 15 on several projects all held up well. For those that had issues it was probably the prep that caused it, especially if it peeled off in sheets. The Nova subframe was coated with POR after blasting, the car was driven almost daily and in all kinds of weather and after 6 years still looked new and was very easy to clean.
True.It is also very aggressive towards other coatings.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 16, 6:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I was also wooed by POR15. I used it on my car in 2005 and followed the instructions to a T. The frame looks good in a lot of places, but anywhere you think there will eventually be oil, brake fluid, etc, the paint will peel. See below.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
frame paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1227 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.