1970 Chevelle Aftermarket Bumper Not Fitting - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

1970 Chevelle Aftermarket Bumper Not Fitting

I have a 1970 Chevelle that the previous owner installed a 1971 bumper on.

I went and bought a brand new 1970 Chevelle bumper, along with 1970 brackets.

I first installed the brackets to the bumper and fully tightened them.

I then installed the bumper to the back of the car, loosely installing the 4 bolts that are located in the trunk, and the lower bracket bolts. I then aligned the bumper left to right - when centered, the bumper sticks out about 1 inch from each side of the car.. which I believe the bumper should be somewhat flush with the side of the car..

Then, the bumper will not allow the trunk to close after I fully tighten the bumper to the car. The trunk hits the top of the bumper. The gap left/right of the trunk is about .25-.5", as it goes to the center of the car (where the trunk is) the gap gets smaller and smaller (which is why it hits the trunk lid)

Also, the two mounts that attach behind the license plate are off by about 1" to bolt up to the holes in the body.. If I want these holes to line up - then the bumper will stick out 2" on the drivers side and passenger side will be flush.

Is there something I am supposed to do before bolting it up? NOTHING is lining up with this bumper!! The vehicle does not look like it has been in a wreck, and the previous bumper that was installed fit perfectly fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 9:50 AM
Tech Team
Bart

Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle Aftermarket Bumper Not Fitting

I would first loosen the bracket to bumper bolts enough that you can move it around. Tighten the 4 inside bolts just enough to allow it to not drop down. Don't put the 4 underneath bolts in yet. Get the center of the bumper in the correct location side to side and with about a 1/4 gap from the trunk lid.

At this point, see where the lower bolts in the license plate area are, you may need to shim them to keep it from raising the center when you tighten them. Once you have the center secured, install the outer underside bolts and slowly tighten them until you get the gap as close to what you have in the center as possible.
Be warned, chances are you are not going to get it the same from side to side. I have seen VERY FEW 68-72 chevelles that have a nice gap between the bumper and trunk/quarters. Many times when the quarters get replaced, (and from the factory) the ends of the qtr are tilted down toward the inside which always looks terrible to me.

Keep in mind, your aftermarket bumper is not going to fit correctly. Its just the way it is, you will just have to be patient and adjust it as best you can.

I spent several hours tweaking my quarter panels etc including modified the bumper brackets in order to make my gaps acceptable and mine is the original bumper.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 7:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Swisher View Post
I would first loosen the bracket to bumper bolts enough that you can move it around. Tighten the 4 inside bolts just enough to allow it to not drop down. Don't put the 4 underneath bolts in yet. Get the center of the bumper in the correct location side to side and with about a 1/4 gap from the trunk lid.

At this point, see where the lower bolts in the license plate area are, you may need to shim them to keep it from raising the center when you tighten them. Once you have the center secured, install the outer underside bolts and slowly tighten them until you get the gap as close to what you have in the center as possible.
Be warned, chances are you are not going to get it the same from side to side. I have seen VERY FEW 68-72 chevelles that have a nice gap between the bumper and trunk/quarters. Many times when the quarters get replaced, (and from the factory) the ends of the qtr are tilted down toward the inside which always looks terrible to me.

Keep in mind, your aftermarket bumper is not going to fit correctly. Its just the way it is, you will just have to be patient and adjust it as best you can.

I spent several hours tweaking my quarter panels etc including modified the bumper brackets in order to make my gaps acceptable and mine is the original bumper.

Thanks for the reply! Check out the attached pictures - The side view is when it is centered, it sticks out that much. Also is a picture showing how the center of the bumper sticks up even where there is a huge gap on the ends of the bumper. The other picture shows how far off the license plate mount holes are.

I think if I shimmed the mount behind the license plate, I could drop down the center of the bumper and pull it away from the trunk, but I will have to do something about the holes not lining up.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 15, 9:34 AM
Tech Team
Bart

Garage

I see what you are dealing with. In the first picture it looks like the bumper to trunk gap is fairly decent until it gets to the quarter panel sections. I can tell by looking at the trunk line and the quarter panels that some of it you are not going to be able to fix simply because the quarter panels kick up on the ends. That is actually pretty common. Have they been replaced at some point in its life? That right quarter panel is really off.

The reason I ask if they have been replace is because if they were and the tail panel wasn't squared up when they fit the quarters on that would explain a lot of things like the tail pan being possibly off center. I could be wrong but it looks to me that short of a lot of massaging of the body you are going to just have to align the bumper as best you can and live with it. The amount it is sticking out on the sides isn't uncommon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1379 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.