Build vs Buy - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 1:04 AM
Tech Team
James

Re: Build vs Buy

Throw together the drivetrain and drive it all clapped out. Then, have this car on the side and save up for a finished one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 6:46 AM
Tech Team
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
As many here have stated, if you are restoring a vehicle "correctly" it will generally cost you more in the long run that it would be to buy one restored. That being said, there are a ton of butchers that have no business working on and selling cars. If you are looking for something real nice to keep, there may be a host of issues hidden under bondo or patch panels and undercoating.
After searching for 2 years for a nice well restored '66, I gave up and bought one
that was started, then given up for lack of funds... The body had already been
off, the frame & undercarriage blasted and coated, and put back together...
It has a 396 assembled by a builder I know, many oem parts with it, but needed paint and
assembly ....

Itís been a year, and a lot of $.$$ to get it to near completion.... But, I spared no expense in getting it right,
so I know what I have.... A solid body and drivetrain, the color, inside and out, that I want,
and everything done the correct way.... I hired most of the work done because Iím 74 and
arthritis wonít let me do the things I used to do .....

Would buying one be cheaper ?? .. Probably....
But not as satisfying as knowing thereís nothing bad lurking under the paint, or the hood, to spoil the experience....
Steve R, 427L88 and b&b's69 like this.

1966 SS coupe .....
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 18, 3:46 PM
Tech Team

After currently going thru a frame off resto, I can defiinitely say buy one almost or already done. I spent way more than I had planned, much more than it is worth. Let someone else take the loss. I could have taken out a loan, purchased one already done, have been driving it and had the loan paid off by now. Never again.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 18, 12:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I agree with the consensus here, buying one already completed saves money, unless you have the skills to do all or most of the labor yourself... It also saves time.

Some issue may be the unknown quality of the work that's already been completed, and you may not find you specific color combo, etc... There can also be the issue of getting a loan or coming up with the cash up front, where a "project" car you can build as the budget allows... Its difficult to get your money/investment out of a car you paid to build, and its the same for pretty much everybody else (unless you do a lot of the labor yourself)... And as a bonus, you can start driving and enjoying the car sooner...

I know on my current project, it is years behind where I expected to be (decades really, but there were other project cars that took my time and money). There is some sentimentality since I drove mine in High school, but I often consider selling it, and spending the extra mon ey to buy something I can drive now...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 18, 4:12 PM
Clint

I don't have the luxury of youth and a well-equipped shop to build my cars, anymore. For that reason and others, I bought my 70 Elco, definitely a better starting point, for me.
Lots of us are getting old and trying to crawl around the car is getting kind of tough.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 5:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
I don't have the luxury of youth and a well-equipped shop to build my cars, anymore. For that reason and others, I bought my 70 Elco, definitely a better starting point, for me.

Lots of us are getting old and trying to crawl around the car is getting kind of tough.
I have the luxury of youth and it still kicks my ass sometimes...

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 7:04 PM
Tech Team
Kurt

I have twice the money in my '66 than itís worth ....
On the other hand, my $24,000 truck is now
worth $5000 at best ..
Add up what youíve paid for new cars over the years,
vs what they were worth when you discarded/traded
them ....
Makes the medicine go down easier ....
lucifershammer likes this.

1966 SS coupe .....
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 9:34 PM
Tech Team

It’s a tough question. I am
By no means a professional but I got my 71 as a project because I wanted to learn how to restore a classic. I enjoy
It so much, I definitely plan to do another one (even more entailed next time) when I retire in 20 years. Problem for me now (not really a problem but a blessing) I have two little ones now and my time to work on it has dwindled. But I’m getting close. I guess what I’m getting at is if you enjoy working on cars as much as driving them then I’d built it. If not, then sell what u got and buy one finished. For me a perfect Sunday is me in my garage by myself with my tunes and my tools f#%king $hit up lol
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 10:59 PM
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD66SS View Post
I've spent more $$ on my 66 than it is currently worth, and I still have more to spend to finish the restoration.

However, I actually enjoy the building just as much or more than the driving.

I'd feel empty if I just went out and bought one.
Yup, I'm 64 and I'm doing a frame off, will take 2 more winters, but since I am retired, it gives me a reason to get up in the morning and drive down to the farm where my shop is. I like the build as much as the drive, maybe more because I learn so much. However, I am in the privileged position of just being able to picking up the phone when I need a nice part to fix a challenge (we try to use every part of the pig, even the oink, but sometimes just can't). Greatest hobby in the world. But if you are into driving and visiting with like-minded enthusiasts at least as much as spinning a spanner, then you bet buying carefully is way cheaper than building.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 11:09 PM
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
I just bought a cheap one for 3 grand and did the frame off all new suspension brakes and drivetrain and left the body alone. Now I get to drive it every day and don't worry about dents or scratches. It's got that cool patina you can't fake. Sometimes I want a nice one, but mostly I don't want to deal with caring for high dollar paint.
So true!! I am not careful enough to be trusted with a $20K paint job. Doing it all in my shop. Built a paint booth and everything. If I lived on pavement, and was a careful individual, well then, that would be different. But I don't and I'm not.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in