Powder Coating Wheels ?'s - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 9:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Powder Coating Wheels ?'s

Is it OK to have steel wheels powder coated over urethane high build primer or any other primer? Thinking of changing plans and having the wheels powder coated black rather than just painted black and then the outside painted the body color.

Is it OK to then scuff sand the exterior surface of the wheel and then have it painted with an urethane enamel? Will the urethane stick?

Thinking the powder coating should be better overall and then I could painted to outside the body color I want. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 9:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Re: Powder Coating Wheels ?'s

James, powdercaosting requires bare metal. My local PC shop did all 5 of my 65 442 wheels for around $300, incuding blasting and fixing a ding for me. And I'll tell you what, I got aggressive mounting the BFGs on them and didn't scratch them atall!

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 10:39 AM
Tech Team
Bart

Andy be right.

You cannot powder over paint. Powder requires an over to cure and regular paint doesnt like to be baked.

No big deal though. If you must have primer - your powercoat shop can that too.

1969 Chevelle Malibu 396BB, DNE2 4speed (do not want - would sell), 12 Bolt, 18x9.5 Snettertons with 245/40 and 285/35s Conti3s.
My Build thread -

Wanted - 2" Cowl Hood. Would trade my 4".

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 12:13 PM
Team Member
Steamy

Wink Re: Powder Coating Wheels ?'s

My wheels are powder coated, and when I installed my full wheel covers it scratched the coating. The lips on the covers are pretty sharp and will cut through paint and powder. Thought you'd like to know in case you're planning on using the mag caps.
BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 13, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks, just talked to the powder coater yesterday, he talked about a zinc primer and then a top coat, I suppose that zinc coat is a special type of power paint, then the top coat.

Guess I will scratch that idea, and go ahead with urethane black over the full wheel and then paint the outside body color with overspray as I planned.

I've got another set of wheel disc brake wheels with a 1.00 offset that I can use for the Mags if I go that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2370 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.