Paint Color Code Confusion...Giving me a headache... - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 9:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dave

Paint Color Code Confusion...Giving me a headache...

I simply want to paint my car some color of orange, it should not be this difficult to difficult to de-mystify...Here it goes, I hope you can follow as I have lost my way.

Hugger Orange is actually a Camaro color not a Chevelle color and is 1970 GM color code 65. This color is actually a duller orange I believe.

Monaco Orange is 1970 GM paint code 72 which I believe is a brighter more red orange. Yet I have seen people refer to Hugger Orange as paint code 72 and say it is the same color as paint code 65...

I called a paint store in Wisconsin, Tower paints (on the advise of someone from this forum, thanks!) to get a couple of rattle cans of two paint colors and this is where I get really confused and get conflicting information not only from this forum but from Tower paints who have been doing this for a long time and I would thing know there stuff so here it goes.

Hugger Orange is 1970 GM paint code 65 period in Tower paints view.

I asked what is paint code 72 in the book for 1970 GM paint codes and Towers response was paint code 72 is the exact same make-up as GM paint code 974 which is Monza Red..Monza Red is a Corvette color.

So here is my question as I am trying to paint my 1970 Chevelle some kind of orange or orange red.

Is indeed code 65 Hugger Orange and not code 72?

Is paint code 72 Monaco Orange and is it a red orange that is the same as paint code 974 Monza Red.

What paint code and or color is the correct one for 1970 Chevelle's?

Thanks for the help and I hope I did not open up a can of worms....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Curt

Re: Paint Color Code Confusion...Giving me a headache...

This was suppose to be monaco orange. The guys at the dupont store 15 years ago messed up the mix and added too much red. However, I ended up liking it much more.

TC #5238
AACA #994801

70 Chevelle SS LS6
M22 37K original miles
Cortez Silver
Arlington build

69 Camaro mod ZL1
T6060
4100 original mile 6 cyl car
Now with a Detroit Speed
sponsored makeover
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 10:45 PM
Team Member
Bill

Monaco Orange is the same exact color as Hugger Orange. It's also the same as various other GM orange cars. If I'm not mistaken, a 70 Chevelle orange would be a custom color, shown by -- on the trim tag. If a customer wanted Monaco orange it could be ordered as a paint delete color and get what ever they wanted. In my Sig picture below is my Monaco Orange El Camino. Thats what it should look like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 10:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

1969-1970 Chrysler code V2 Hemi Orange is almost identical to the Hugger/Monaco Orange as well.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 6:48 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

In '69 Camaro Hugger Orange and Chevelle Monaco Orange are both paint code 72. Forget '70 paint codes if you want Hugger/Monaco Orange.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 7:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Names are absolutely meaningless. Paints are mixed by codes. What tints and numbers you grab off the sytem make the color. You could call the color Bea Arthur and it would not make a difference.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 7:57 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Trying to picture Bea Arthur orange. Now I need to see a cow slaughtered to get that picture out of my head. Sorry for the hijack.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 9:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
In '69 Camaro Hugger Orange and Chevelle Monaco Orange are both paint code 72. Forget '70 paint codes if you want Hugger/Monaco Orange.
Not according to the paint company...Paint code Hugger Orange/Manaco Orange is paint code 65 not 72..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 9:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
Now I see the disconnect. In 1969 paint code 72 is indeed hugger/Monaco Orange. In 1970 the paint code changed for Hugger Orange to 65...There is the rub. Now I need to call the paint store and see if the formula is different for the two...

Last edited by Minge; Jul 27th, 09 at 10:04 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
Now I see the disconnect. In 1969 paint code 72 is indeed hugger/Monaco Orange. In 1970 the paint code changed for Hugger Orange to 65...There is the rug. Now I need to call the paint store and see if the formula is diferent for the two...
I am under the impression you have never mixed paint before. Let me see if I can clarify. Code 65 and 72 call for a PPG code 2084 for both. That means the tints you pull from the system, put on the scale and add the weight specified remain the same whether its the GM code is zero or 4 billion. It's the paint manufacturer's code that designates tints. And Dupont, RM, whatever will have their own numbers for designation but still use the GM code as a source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4004 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.