Learning to paint ?'s - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 09, 9:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to brans72
Question Learning to paint ?'s

I want to learn to just paint small items at first not like a car that is perfect so what is the best way to learn? I know I need a gun but which one (want to try a Harbor Freight first),I have a 5 hp 60 gal IR compressor so what else might I need to start? Also any tips you guys can give? I would like to be able to paint trim pieces,firewall,inner fenders etc like that to start out and learn from there. Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 09, 10:24 PM
Team Member
Kent

Re: Learning to paint ?'s

My first job was last week(primer)! I'm old and give out and enjoyed it very much.
Started on the bottom and in a few moments flet like I was on Overhaulin, HA HA!!!!
Kent

Kent
1969 Chevelle SS Resto-Mod

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Mag Red Corvette Vert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC #5237
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 8:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

what gun did you use? any tips to starting?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 8:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Roger

From the looks of that trans tunnel I'd say he used a shot gun! 8^)
To get good results painting , I always spray a dust coat first and let it dry. Then your surface has some "teeth" to hold the next heavy coat of paint and resists running or fish eyeing.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 11:10 AM
Tech Team
Tim

Talking Re: Learning to paint ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by brans72 View Post
Looks like a 12 gauge in the shifter area...

Tim
65' Chevelle SS

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 11:15 AM
Tech Team
Tim

Talking Re: Learning to paint ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by brans72 View Post
Looks like a 12 gauge in the shifter area...

Tim
65' Chevelle SS

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 12:11 PM
Team Member
Kent

I told you guys I need a hump for a "69 console automatic..... however this post is for us newbys to gain knowledge about painting even if it is a painted turd. haha

I did purchase from Harbor Freight 1.4 gravity feed cheapo gun you see in the picture. I also was told to do the light spray first, followed by two good coats. Keep the gun moving and don't try to get it covered all on the first try. More coats are better than runs.
Kent

Kent

TC #5237
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 1:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It is all good, I am not bashing you! I just want to learn to paint a little. Brandon
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 5:15 PM
Team Member
Kent

I'm with you Brandon, I thought the comments were funny(haha, not mean) and I always like to hear the PRO and CON side of a conversation. It would be a boring world if everyone had the same mindset as everyone else and no new things were attempted. This is a GOOD place to learn because you get comments from the OLD and WISE as well as the young and innovative. Its nice to not have to re-invent the wheel sometimes. My 2 cents worth.
Kent

Kent

TC #5237
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 5:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Spend the money on a good gun. It will help you out lots. I got a FinishLine III gun and it's ok. ALso, get a primer gun. You can always start with the HF for primer, then get a good base or clear gun. You want to pay attention to the CFM rating to with that compressor. The cheapo guns seem to use a lot more than the good guns out there.

Check the ratings and then go from there within your budget.

69 540 FAST EFI BBC El Camino"it's alive"

Check out the latest stuff here!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 5:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktullos View Post
I told you guys I need a hump for a "69 console automatic.....
I think I might have part of one....

69 540 FAST EFI BBC El Camino"it's alive"

Check out the latest stuff here!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 6:06 PM
Team Member
Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396boy View Post
Spend the money on a good gun. It will help you out lots. I got a FinishLine III gun and it's ok. ALso, get a primer gun. You can always start with the HF for primer, then get a good base or clear gun. You want to pay attention to the CFM rating to with that compressor. The cheapo guns seem to use a lot more than the good guns out there.

Check the ratings and then go from there within your budget.
I agree 100 0/0. BUT I'm not going to attempt to do the body work or the paint. If it was a car or truck that had no value I might play around with it for fun and a laugh. I'm choosing to let a pro do my work. Some things are better to pay for than to be dis-a-point-edddd.... later.
Kent

Kent

TC #5237
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 6:10 PM
Team Member
Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396boy View Post
I think I might have part of one....

[email protected]

Kent

TC #5237
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 6:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

If you can't find what you need, check some of your local heating and a/c shops that do metal ducts...a good sheet metal man should be able to shear and roll form a piece of metal for you with those measurements, only thing lacking is how tall is it overall..make it a bit oversize then grind to fit....good luck
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 7:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I buy stuff from Harbor Freight all the time but to keep from getting burned, I never buy anything from them with more than one moving part. Spend your money wisely and buy a good quality spray gun. The DeVilbiss Finish Line 3 is a good entry level gun. That way you know the gun will work properly which is essential for someone learning to paint. There are enough ways to screw up a paint job without trying to work with questionable equipment.

BTW, I bought a tie rod separator from HF on the way home from work today and it worked just fine (0 moving parts, one if you include the hammer to whack it).

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3999 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.