post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 5:48 PM Thread Starter

eastwood products

Hi,Anyone have input on Eastwood paints and primers? Any good? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 7:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: eastwood products

IMO, they are not worth it for both lack of convenience & unknown quality. Back in the early 90s, I used a few of their rattle cans only to find out they were just relabeled Krylon or Rustoleum for 2x the price. Now those same cans are 4x the price.

If you're looking for epoxy & urethane primers, head down to your local auto paints store & see what brands they carry. Even if you're trying to do a budget job, you'd be better off with a brand like UPOL than you would be with an unknown Eastwood product.

If mail order is your only option, Summit Racing has a decent line of both epoxy & urethane primers that are less expensive than Eastwood. Both work very well & are very reasonably priced.

Can't speak for basecoats, as I've never bought them via mail order.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 10:06 PM
Tech Team
John

I’ve always had good experience with Eastwood Products, restoring several cars in various stages. They are fast and have good products imo. Summit Racing is wonderful but they don’t specialize in restoration and body work, etc. Shop around for your specific needs is always best.
Freddy Mercado likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

I live in the sticks of Maine. Omni is the only thing i can get easily as needed without waiting for shipping and its within my budget,lol. Is it ok for a newbie doing paint and body work?I did plan on using ppg color someday.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 10:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

If you're planning on a lot of bare metal priming, make sure you get a 2 part primer that is specifically for Direct To Metal (DTM). Ask me how I know.

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

LOL pcguy. i bet im gonna learn a few things the hard way as well. I just want a decent looking job. I ve never done body work or paint ,ever
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech Team

These two cans may be the best and most durable paint for an engine. It's an epoxy paint that you press a button in the bottom to mix the epoxy activator. It's actually made in Germany.

It's expensive but unavailable from anyone else. As I recall, they were about $65 delivered.

I'm sure the rest of their paints aren't anything too special and their equivalents can be found elsewhere for less cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine paint eastwood.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	634902  
Freddy Mercado and hydro462 like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 1:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I've used Omni primer on my garbage trailer. Some day, I'll get around to painting it, and I'll use Omni. Now that I've retired, and am getting caught up on the honey do stuff, I plan to paint all my trailers, one at a time, and see if I can't get some acceptable results before I tackle any thing precious.

66 Malibu

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 3:20 PM
Team Member
Freddy

I have used a lot of Eastwood products. Never had any issues. Good overall.

Freddy
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 3:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

IIRC, the only Eastwood product I have used is Hot Rod Black. Tried a thimble full with carefully measured second part in an air brush; it look ok, but it abraded very easily. I wanted to use it for the finish coat on the modified plastic dash from the 14 Camaro. They accepted a return on it, but after a few weeks of having received, they had to be prompted for the refund, which then happened very quickly.

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 7:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buncherman1! View Post
I live in the sticks of Maine. Omni is the only thing i can get easily as needed without waiting for shipping and its within my budget,lol. Is it ok for a newbie doing paint and body work?I did plan on using ppg color someday.

If that's the case, go for the Summit primers. Order them both at once & you can get 2 sprayable gallons of epoxy & 1.25 gallons of urethane delivered to your door in 3 days for about $195 shipped. That price includes all the correct hardeners & a quart of urethane reducer. You can use the reducer to thin both the urethane & epoxy primer.

I've used them on a GTO project I'm doing the body work for a buddy. He bought all the materials & asked me what I thought. For the price, the quality is pretty damn good. I believe Kirker makes the epoxy & Sherwin Williams makes the urethane. The epoxy is a direct to metal product that is very durable & the urethane sands like chalk. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 20, 11:10 AM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

Still cautious, my 90s eastwood welder still works perfectly, although they went out of business, sears bought them, etc, and they quit supporting it.

I got their fat mat a couple years ago and they refused to do the deal price or free shipping that they advertised.

Got some fancy inside chasiss spray can paint recently, not tried it.

Probalby good products, but have been poor to deal with.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 20, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!

Eastwoods= over priced over rated.

I lived in the sticks of rural Iowa, town population of around 3K county pop 20k, my local auto store is a PPG dealer, within a 45 min drive I can get access to just about any brand of paint. So, I don't really buy it when someone says I don't have access to.

Id be willing to wager that one could get SPI products cheaper then Summit and Eastwoods mystery paint and also have a superior product to boot.

Autobodytoolmart also sells Kirker paint, they might even have Matrix, which based off rumors is some of the old PPG formulas.

Sherwin & Williams should stick to house paint, that sh!t sucks, you'd be hard pressed to find a paint company more hated by pros then S&W.

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 20, 8:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Been in the business for three decades and never bought one thing from Eastwood. SPI and other on-line companies are an option for some. I use SPI on occasion when supplied by a customer. Eastwood marks up prices on products made my other companies. Good for them, they target those with no knowledge of the auto body industry. My local jobbers deal with many backyarders. If one does not do this everyday, it can be confusing. Go talk to your local supplier and rep; every area has one.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 20, 9:48 PM
SFD
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Good advice here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post

Eastwood marks up prices on products made my other companies. Good for them, they target those with no knowledge of the auto body industry. My local jobbers deal with many backyarders. If one does not do this everyday, it can be confusing. Go talk to your local supplier and rep; every area has one.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in