65 Malibu Convertible quarter windows - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich-L79

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 20, 3:05 PM Thread Starter

Red face 65 Malibu Convertible quarter windows

HI, first time on, we are at a loss. Trying to adjust the quarter windows on our Malibu SS Convertible is there anyone with any knowledge on how to adjust them, any help is appreciated. Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 20, 10:54 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: 65 Malibu Convertible quarter windows

What adjustment are you trying to attain? They adjust every direction possible if you are patient enough. Sometimes they don't adjust as far as we'd like and sometimes they don't go up all the way due to new reproduction weatherstrips.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 6:52 AM
Team Member
Curt

Garage
I feel your pain. My 65 covertible got a frame off resto at home and we had to cut the hardtop quarterpanels to be convertible panels. I have a good friend coming over to help get my glass working correctly. He has built 50 Chevelles. I will learn and share with you what I learned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_095400_1594551125611.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	5.41 MB
ID:	632716  

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 7:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies it turns out the previous owner had the wrong window felt on there causing all the issues. So we took it off and ordered new now the windows adjust way better!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 9:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

You probably have it all figured out, but I've used youtube many times for problems like this. If you do a search there for "chevelle quarter window adjustment" it brings up many different videos on this. Most 60's GM cars are basically the same when it comes to window adjustments. Especially critical are the door glass-to-quarter glass adjustments on convertibles and hardtops.

There is a guy on youtube called Scared Shiftless that has several excellent videos on these cars.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 10:22 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
You probably have it all figured out, but I've used youtube many times for problems like this. If you do a search there for "chevelle quarter window adjustment" it brings up many different videos on this. Most 60's GM cars are basically the same when it comes to window adjustments. Especially critical are the door glass-to-quarter glass adjustments on convertibles and hardtops.

There is a guy on youtube called Scared Shiftless that has several excellent videos on these cars.
Be careful with that statement. When I went to adjust the rear quarter windows on our 64 GTO I thought I was hot stuff since I'd done this so many times on my 65 Chevelle. They are all the same, right? Nope, took me a couple days to learn and figure it out after much frustration and many curse words. Turns out that the GTO uses a slightly different set of quarter window frames (glass is the same) and a Chevelle window will NOT fit and adjust properly in a GTO quarter (it won't roll up all the way, it hits the sheetmetal before getting to the top). When I finally threw the original GTO windows back in the car, they lined up perfectly without much fuss, the frames are just enough different. (And we all know how fun it is to remove and install a set of quarter windows which is why I left it as a last resort.) It is even hard to see the difference when you set them side by side. I had originally used some spare Chevelle windows and frames because they were in somewhat better shape than the originals that came out of the GTO.

Also, the roller tracks are not the same between the Chevelle and the Tempest for whatever reason. They work pretty much the same, but they are NOT the same shape.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Be careful with that statement. When I went to adjust the rear quarter windows on our 64 GTO I thought I was hot stuff since I'd done this so many times on my 65 Chevelle. They are all the same, right? Nope, took me a couple days to learn and figure it out after much frustration and many curse words. Turns out that the GTO uses a slightly different set of quarter window frames (glass is the same) and a Chevelle window will NOT fit and adjust properly in a GTO quarter (it won't roll up all the way, it hits the sheetmetal before getting to the top). When I finally threw the original GTO windows back in the car, they lined up perfectly without much fuss, the frames are just enough different. (And we all know how fun it is to remove and install a set of quarter windows which is why I left it as a last resort.) It is even hard to see the difference when you set them side by side. I had originally used some spare Chevelle windows and frames because they were in somewhat better shape than the originals that came out of the GTO.

Also, the roller tracks are not the same between the Chevelle and the Tempest for whatever reason. They work pretty much the same, but they are NOT the same shape.

That really sucks. I feel your pain.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 8:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Be careful with that statement
Yeah, that's why I said "basically the same when it comes to window adjustments". I wasn't referring to the actual parts, knowing they are different. Guess I should have stated that.

Sorry if it caused any confusion.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 10:55 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
Yeah, that's why I said "basically the same when it comes to window adjustments". I wasn't referring to the actual parts, knowing they are different. Guess I should have stated that.

Sorry if it caused any confusion.
No, actually you worded it just fine, I just over interpreted it! You are absolutely right, they all basically adjust in the same ways. I guess the dark feelings I have from that GTO quarter window experience have left me bitter.
augy likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 10:56 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

I may be mistaken not owning a 65 but my 68 convertible adjustments are basically done more with the stops then anything else after you set the glass and channels in. Yes the mounting hardware will allow for front to back but most final angles are done by the stops. My rear windows have 3 stops. Up, down and rough angle. The factory used a lot of body caulking over the stop screws making them easy not to see. Is it possible you haven't uncovered them all? If you are like me (my bad) the top frame was removed without marking the original location and it may not be set back in correctly and if it is off the windows will never come into adjustment. It is a pain finding a glass company to help and are very limited today. In any case if the front glass wasn't removed like mine you are way ahead of the game but I took everything apart and had fun for a couple days. Set the top first, losely adjust the front window and take note that it too moves forward and back affecting the alignment and spacing between the front and rear glass. Raise the top and adjust the front and rear UP window stops to bring the glass into a fairly close position. Sorry I do not have a step 1,2,3. Unless you can find an glass expert familiar with classics you are just going to do adjustments until you get it right. First and most important is set the top frame correctly. I downloaded a Fisher Body manual for my 68 that helped a bunch and is the only book that will help. A Assembly manual will not! Start with that. Books make us smart, well at least more knowledgeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in