Team Chevelle banner

Lifting the Body, Check list

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  68-13427 
#1 ·
I am close to lifting the body off the 69, but I want to make sure I have disconnected everything that needs to be disconnected.

1. Gear selector is disconnected and steering column has been removed, along with all interior panels, seats, carpet, etc; less the dash.
2. Emergency Brake cable disconnected at firewall
3. Speedometer/Cruise Control cables are disconnected
4. All electrical wiring forward of the firewall are disconnected and/or removed
5. Master Cylinder/Brake booster has been disconnected from the brake pedal and removed.
6. Throttle cable has been removed.
7. Gas Tank is removed
8. Ground straps right and left of gas tank are disconnected.
9. Body Bushing Bolts - 3 left to remove.

What else am I missing?

Thanks,

Big D

See less See more
#2 ·
Only thing else I would do is take a bunch of measurements from the body to the frame along the sides and back and front. Take pictures of the reference points you use. Also pay attention to the shims on the front sheet metal. Put them in baggies with the location they came from. That will make your life a lot easier when it comes down to putting it all back together and getting the sheet metal to line up.

#3 ·
Thank You. Front of the car is already off and I made note of the shims. There were only 3 in total. 1 drivers side, 2 passenger. So do you think I covered all the connection that would be in the way of lifting the body? I just don't want to hit a snag when I decide to start lifting.

Thanks,

Big D.

#7 ·
Yes, i found that. It was camouflaged pretty well. So last 2 5 bolts are out. The cowl bolt had a slight bend in it. Was a pain. The bolt under the passenger door, even with me reversing direction ever turn to hopefully help, it gave up the ghost.

So now what? Cut a tab into the floor now while the body is on the car. ? Do it now or when it is on a body cart later on?

#9 ·
you talking the bolt right next to the seat so to speak??if so my drivers side bolt broke so i took a cutoff wheel and cut out a 3 sided square about 3 inch square around where the bolt is.there is a bump on the floor right above where the bolt is so its real easy to locate.i then folded the piece over so i could get to the bolt.got my torch down in there and heated the top of the bolt then clamped a vise grips on it and worked it.after a couple heat and cool cycles it was loose to the point i unscrewed it out the top.i then ran a tap up from the bottom and cleaned the threads.saving the cage nut.i then folded the flap back and welded it in place and ground down the welds and put seam sealer over the welds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.