Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChaosEnvy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Big D

Lifting the Body, Check list

I am close to lifting the body off the 69, but I want to make sure I have disconnected everything that needs to be disconnected.

1. Gear selector is disconnected and steering column has been removed, along with all interior panels, seats, carpet, etc; less the dash.
2. Emergency Brake cable disconnected at firewall
3. Speedometer/Cruise Control cables are disconnected
4. All electrical wiring forward of the firewall are disconnected and/or removed
5. Master Cylinder/Brake booster has been disconnected from the brake pedal and removed.
6. Throttle cable has been removed.
7. Gas Tank is removed
8. Ground straps right and left of gas tank are disconnected.
9. Body Bushing Bolts - 3 left to remove.

What else am I missing?

Thanks,

Big D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 10:35 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Lifting the Body, Check list

Only thing else I would do is take a bunch of measurements from the body to the frame along the sides and back and front. Take pictures of the reference points you use. Also pay attention to the shims on the front sheet metal. Put them in baggies with the location they came from. That will make your life a lot easier when it comes down to putting it all back together and getting the sheet metal to line up.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Only thing else I would do is take a bunch of measurements from the body to the frame along the sides and back and front. Take pictures of the reference points you use. Also pay attention to the shims on the front sheet metal. Put them in baggies with the location they came from. That will make your life a lot easier when it comes down to putting it all back together and getting the sheet metal to line up.
Thank You. Front of the car is already off and I made note of the shims. There were only 3 in total. 1 drivers side, 2 passenger. So do you think I covered all the connection that would be in the way of lifting the body? I just don't want to hit a snag when I decide to start lifting.

Thanks,

Big D.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 11:11 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Brake line for rear brakes ? Sounds like you have everything else.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Brake line for rear brakes ? Sounds like you have everything else.
The brake lines are ran on the frame right? I disconnected the brake lines from the master cylinder.
jeffs68 likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 6:22 PM
Tech Team

check behind the engine for ground straps from engine to firewall.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 7:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeepeople View Post
check behind the engine for ground straps from engine to firewall.
Yes, i found that. It was camouflaged pretty well. So last 2 5 bolts are out. The cowl bolt had a slight bend in it. Was a pain. The bolt under the passenger door, even with me reversing direction ever turn to hopefully help, it gave up the ghost.

So now what? Cut a tab into the floor now while the body is on the car. ? Do it now or when it is on a body cart later on?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 8:22 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEnvy View Post
The brake lines are ran on the frame right? I disconnected the brake lines from the master cylinder.

Doh, you are correct, not sure what I was thinking

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 10:50 PM
Tech Team

you talking the bolt right next to the seat so to speak??if so my drivers side bolt broke so i took a cutoff wheel and cut out a 3 sided square about 3 inch square around where the bolt is.there is a bump on the floor right above where the bolt is so its real easy to locate.i then folded the piece over so i could get to the bolt.got my torch down in there and heated the top of the bolt then clamped a vise grips on it and worked it.after a couple heat and cool cycles it was loose to the point i unscrewed it out the top.i then ran a tap up from the bottom and cleaned the threads.saving the cage nut.i then folded the flap back and welded it in place and ground down the welds and put seam sealer over the welds.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 8:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Big D

Quote:
you talking the bolt right next to the seat so to speak??if so my drivers side bolt broke so i took a cutoff wheel and cut out a 3 sided square about 3 inch square around where the bolt is.there is a bump on the floor right above where the bolt is so its real easy to locate.i then folded the piece over so i could get to the bolt.got my torch down in there and heated the top of the bolt then clamped a vise grips on it and worked it.after a couple heat and cool cycles it was loose to the point i unscrewed it out the top.i then ran a tap up from the bottom and cleaned the threads.saving the cage nut.i then folded the flap back and welded it in place and ground down the welds and put seam sealer over the welds.
That could be correct. It is the 3rd bushing. There is the cowl bushing, the bushing under the middle of the door without a bolt, and then the broken one comes next right before the wheel arch begins.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 9:06 AM
Tech Team

oh nevermind i have a 66.but i think your plan of attack will be about the same once you locate where the top of the bolt is.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 6:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
A three sided square? Oh fold over the fourth side. When i first read this i was like wtf. Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in