66 Windshield Channel Repair - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
66 Windshield Channel Repair

I've seen some information on this repair on several posts but haven't seen the exact answer I had hoped for so here goes.
I am working on a 66 convertible and trying to replace the lower window channel. The picture is from last week but the bad parts are removed and the area cleaned up. I have a new channel that fits well but the flange coming up from the cowl is mostly gone also.

My question is....is the cowl part available and or how have you guys fixed before? I would image that I am not the first to have to repair this. I did see on another post someone mentioned the Sherman part#'s 706-43T & 706-43A. I have the 706-43A but more is needed. I can't tell from the tiny pictures that are shown if this part(706-43T) is what I need. I cannot find their website but I do see the part for sale elsewhere.

I've checked other parts sellers and do not see this exact flanged area/part.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200503_173420.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	628716  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 8:31 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

Re: 66 Windshield Channel Repair

Someone just posted a company that offers the trunk and rear window channels, and I thought the windshield ones too.

I think its Beldenspeed.com

I think Ground Up and OPG have the panels for the lower, not sure about the upper for a convertible.

I just replaced nearly the whole windshield mounting flange on my effing 82 Mustang from scratch, so I feel much better about tackling the Chevelle in a few months when I retire.

Back in the shipyard we used say, as long as they don't stop making oxygen, acetylene welding rod, we can fix it!

I am becoming a believer.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 9:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

I looked at them but they don't have that part. I will definitely use some of their channels when I do my 67 hard top in the fall.The back window is typical Chevelle.

I'm greatly improving my welding skills on this 66. I just finished the outer drivers side wheel house. Did not know they don't make them for convertibles. Had to alter a hardtop one and it came out pretty good.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 12:23 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

I did something exactly what you are dealing with 5 years ago on the Sister In Laws Caprice, It starts with post #54, it must be a '66 thing. Look at the pictures, I made everything by hand using a shrinker/spreader tool. Hope this helps.

https://www.impalas.net/forums/8-res...-restro-3.html

Chris
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 12:51 PM
Tech Team

That’s part of the lower cowl metal. I’ve never seen a partial replacement piece. Maybe take a full part and take what you need to graft it on the current cowl? http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-l...1.html?pager=2
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 View Post
I did something exactly what you are dealing with 5 years ago on the Sister In Laws Caprice, It starts with post #54, it must be a '66 thing. Look at the pictures, I made everything by hand using a shrinker/spreader tool. Hope this helps.

https://www.impalas.net/forums/8-res...-restro-3.html
Nice job, I may have to do it a 6" section at a time. I don't have a shrinker tool to make the bends. Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss4spd View Post
Thatís part of the lower cowl metal. Iíve never seen a partial replacement piece. Maybe take a full part and take what you need to graft it on the current cowl? Lower Cowl Lower Section - 64-67 Chevelle El Camino Cowl Section | AMD 371-3466-1

That's what I need, but like you said, I would only use the top 2" of it, if that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 4:24 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 SuperSport View Post
That's what I need, but like you said, I would only use the top 2" of it, if that.
I've basically have done just that with replacing the floors, wheel well, and now the front fender. Spend the money to get what you need, use only what you need, and that should give you the piece of mind in not having to manufacture parts 6" at a time. I know its a waste of cash, but in the long run, you'll be happier with the results.

Chris
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 4:52 PM
Tech Team

I think you’d save the time in labor and avoid all the frustration using the full part and taking what you need for a completely new windshield channel surface.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 6:18 PM
Tech Team

i'll hop on that bandwagon too.just buy the whole piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in