Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bronze68
  • 2 Post By BlueSS454

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Old replacement Trunk floor pan 1971 Chevelle

Hi

Please excuse me if this is not the correct sub-forum for this thread, but I am planning to replace the entire trunk fllor on my 71. The floor is a mess consisting of a old replacement panel and lots of bondo etc. I beleve the floor was replaced a long time ago based on the fact it is now rusted (I've just bought this car).

First of, the quarters are in very good condition so removing the quarters are not prefered at this stage. I plan on using the 7 piece pan kit and replacing the gas tank supports etc. Parts of the inner wheel houses will be patched with new metal if the surface is not weldable (I know they are rusty, but removing the wheel houses requires removal of the quartes to access the spot welds to the cage)

But my question is, as you can see from the pictures attached, there is an additional lip on the floor pan that appears not to be on the replacement panels. Have they replaced this floor with an different model?

Appriciate all comments. This is my first chevelle so still getting to know the car.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200404_134215.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	621840   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200404_134221.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	621842   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200404_134233.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	621844   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200404_134235.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	621846  

Name:	thumbnail_20200404_134238.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	621848   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-04-2020 18-14-42.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	621852  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 1:53 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage
Re: Old replacement Trunk floor pan 1971 Chevelle

This was discussed not long ago. See link. It may be the trunk extension is wrong from AMD today as your car seems to match the car in the link below. However the pic of the red chevelle looks like the AMD part. Quarter extensions are a very common item to replace and these are 50 years old

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-...xtensions.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 2:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
This was discussed not long ago. See link. It may be the trunk extension is wrong from AMD today as your car seems to match the car in the link below. However the pic of the red chevelle looks like the AMD part. Quarter extensions are a very common item to replace and these are 50 years old

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-...xtensions.html
Hi

It appears you are right. Maby the original extensions have been kept and only part of the floor have been replaced. The car is heavily coated underneath so I have to do some digging.

Thanks for the clarification. Thumbs up.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 9:24 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Yeah - you have the same-looking extensions that were in mine, which were also replacements about 25 years ago. I'm happy with the AMD versions I installed. I spent a lot of time on Google images of 71 Chevelle trunk pans and feel confident the AMD pieces are correct.

If I can say one additional thing to you: please, PLEASE, PLEASE do yourself a huge favor and abandon the 7-piece trunk pan plan and do the full one-piece installation since you're replacing the whole thing. It may seem daunting, but it's not. In fact, I would challenge that it's not any more total work. The end result is 4 bazillion times better quality and finish, and you will be immeasurably happier with the end result. It's really not that hard beyond the time needed, and there are lots of folks here to help with any questions along the way.
Volks and kmakar like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 9:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Don't waste your time with the multi piece kits. Save yourself the aggravation and labor and get a 1 piece trunk floor from Dynacorn. It can be replaced without removing the quarters. I've done it. It's less work and a cleaner jpb. The Dynacorn and AMD trunk extensions are one in the same. They both need a beating to put in place.
Volks and kmakar like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 3:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Don't waste your time with the multi piece kits. Save yourself the aggravation and labor and get a 1 piece trunk floor from Dynacorn. It can be replaced without removing the quarters. I've done it. It's less work and a cleaner jpb. The Dynacorn and AMD trunk extensions are one in the same. They both need a beating to put in place.
Hi

I have seen some threads people saying just that. Did you have to raise the body from the frame in the rear to enter the pan?

Im sorry for all the general questions here, but given the vast majority of different pans and solutions, do anybody have a suggestion for shopping list for whats needed? When I start this project I will post pictures of the progression for everybody else to see.

- Full trunk floor: http://www.dynacorn.com/ShowItem.aspx?item=1462G
- 3 Plugs : http://www.dynacorn.com/ShowItem.aspx?item=1047F
- Drop of RH: http://www.dynacorn.com/ShowItem.aspx?item=1463T (could not find lesf side)
- Tail Lamp panel: http://www.dynacorn.com/ShowItem.aspx?item=1423WT (sounds scary)
- Wheel well patch kit : https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/RG23-...elle&year=1971

I know its a lot of work, but getting the bacis structure in order before I start the work is the most reassuring for me.

Thanks for the input. PS here is the car in question.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	622068   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	622070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	622072  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

You don't need to raise the body to do the trunk floor. It will slide in from the back. You will need both trunk extensions. The tail panel doesn't need to be replaced if you are just doing the trunk floor. Just be careful separating the 2 panels. I understand you being a little on edge about doing this. It's really not that bad. I do this type of work for a living. It's just metal.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 8:33 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

If those floors are that bad, then how bad are the lower quarters?

I donít like being manipulated!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 5:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
You don't need to raise the body to do the trunk floor. It will slide in from the back. You will need both trunk extensions. The tail panel doesn't need to be replaced if you are just doing the trunk floor. Just be careful separating the 2 panels. I understand you being a little on edge about doing this. It's really not that bad. I do this type of work for a living. It's just metal.
I see what you mean. I tought you was refereing to the complete floor replacement where the trunk extensions where included. Yes I have not done a trunk before, but I can weld (hobby) and I like general bodywork. So this will be a nice project
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 5:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
If those floors are that bad, then how bad are the lower quarters?
I understand your concern but I am doing this is stages. The quarters look great, but most likely bondo and fillers. The car hade a repaint in the 90s (according to previous owner).

My plan is to fix the trunk to a usable condition untill I can do a frame of restoration in about 5 years (maby), kids and house renovation.....

Se attached pictures of the quartes I took this morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Quarter 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	622372   Click image for larger version

Name:	quarter 2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	622374  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in