Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

2Likes
  • 1 Post By davewho1
  • 1 Post By darksky

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

I’m getting my bodywork sorted out still, so I’m still in filler and primer stage but wanted to get my trim fitted and make sure my holes are all drilled before paint.

Most of my trim is decent. Not great and some little dings and scrapes but nothing terrible. Question is about aftermarket. Are there 67 trim pieces that are great or ones that are to be avoided at all cost?

My car is a Malibu convertible. Specifically interested in the taillight bezels and such. Mine are a little bumpy in areas (pitting I guess). Are reproduction ones decent?

Also might look at the side molding and wheel arch molding.

Anyone else with the Malibu side molding use wheel arch molding too? Is it too much to have both (too busy looking)? Mine didn’t come with the wheel arch molding but I like the look.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Re: 67 aftermarket trim pieces

My Malibu HAD the side moldings. I did away with them, and will use the wheel well trim. I like that look. Not crazy about the side moldings though. Both, together would look odd, imo.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 2:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I installed a set of Corvex wheel well moldings on my 67 and they fit nicely with a few taps using a rubber faced mallet.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 2:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Restore your OEM trim if possible.
pduncan likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 3:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
My Malibu HAD the side moldings. I did away with them, and will use the wheel well trim. I like that look. Not crazy about the side moldings though. Both, together would look odd, imo.
I thought it might be a bit much but google searched some pics and I like the look. The wheel arch trim is so thin, subtle that it looks good IMO.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 4:06 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Anyone else with the Malibu side molding use wheel arch molding too? Is it too much to have both (too busy looking)? Mine didnít come with the wheel arch molding but I like the look.
Thanks

Here's my '67 with side moldings and wheel arch molding. It was this way when I bought it a few years ago. The guys who did the restoration liked a lot of chrome I was told. I like the look of the chrome trim, but I also sometimes like the streamlined look of no side trim or emblems, especially on pro-touring resto-mods.
Mine also has the vertical bars on the front and rear bumpers (I forget what they're actually called).
You also asked about repro taillight housings. I'm willing be bet mine are reproductions, since they are in such great condition. They look excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04999 (2).JPG
Views:	17
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	621438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle blur.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	621440   Click image for larger version

Name:	C08_2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	621444  
davewho1 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust, Digi-Tails tail lights and front marker lights, 17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 6:31 PM
Tech Team

I bought aftermarket taillights buckets for my 67. They seem to be well made and had no fitment problems.
Are they real gm. No. Do they work well for a driver. Yes.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 7:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

My tail light buckets are good. It’s the trim that’s a little beat up. Mainly bumpiness which I think is pitting of the pot metal. I’ll post a pic tomorrow of another issue I am having. Essentially the tail light trim seems to pull the upper trim molding on the back panel away from the car. Leaving a visible gap between the trim and the car.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 7:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

That’s a great looking car Darksky. I see it’s also got rocker molding. I considered that too but thought maybe that was a bit too much. Not at all. It looks great.
I assume with a blacked out rear panel that you have a BB?

Anyone know if adding rocker molding is hard? Do you have to drill a bunch of holes to attach? Thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 12:41 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Thatís a great looking car Darksky. I see itís also got rocker molding. I considered that too but thought maybe that was a bit too much. Not at all. It looks great.
I assume with a blacked out rear panel that you have a BB?
The father and son who initially restored it painted the rear panel black. It has ZZ4 350 cid 355 hp crate engine. The car was a frame off restoration about 10 years ago. It's had 5 local owners, counting the last owner who owned it twice. The first time he owned it he put on the wheels and redline tires. Second time he owned it he had FiTech EFI installed by a local classic restoration shop. He's owned over 200 vehicles, never more than 4 or 5 at a time he said. He gets a vehicle, usually one in excellent condition, upgrades something on it or makes a few tweaks, then he's bored with it, sells or trades it in at the local classic car dealer and gets something else for a while. It's not a complete pro-touring restomod but it's a nice car for sure. I've owned it for 3 years this July.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust, Digi-Tails tail lights and front marker lights, 17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 4:12 AM
Gold Member
Gene

John, the tail lamp buckets are not an issue, BUT, the wheel molding trim, unless its made different than 20 yrs ago when I did th paint, dont fit worth a darn. WE had to slit them to fit, and I finally tore that half-assed crap off and spend stupid $$$ for NOS trim that fit mint.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in