Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

3Likes
  • 2 Post By RAIDER SS
  • 1 Post By RAIDER SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 9:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Closest product to 66 trunk paint?

Who has the closes looking product, Zolatone, GM , or is there another product? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 10:32 AM
Tech Team

re: Closest product to 66 trunk paint?

If you decide on Zolatone, The Parts Place sells their private label version of the Aqua, other colors should be available at body and paint supply places

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

No one has the 100% correct appearing. You have to do it the way I do it or similar.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 11:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

The Parts Place also sells their private label version on grey / white spatter paint, which is correct for a '66. I researched that Aqua wasn't used in the Chevelle until 1967.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...ne-quart/40019

Is it 100% original factory correct? I don't know, but it is what I used to look like it belongs in a '66.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6677.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	620830  
davewho1 and Don B like this.

66 Malibu......back to life, now with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 9:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
The Parts Place also sells their private label version on grey / white spatter paint, which is correct for a '66. I researched that Aqua wasn't used in the Chevelle until 1967.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...ne-quart/40019

Is it 100% original factory correct? I don't know, but it is what I used to look like it belongs in a '66.
I don't know about other plants for the 66 chevelle but for the 3 original ones in my possession I have looked at, two in Nov of 65 and one in Dec of 65. The trunks are *NOT* Grey White. If you look at my photos that is black with white spots. Jeff Helms has also confirmed this for me and I consider him the most accurate person regarding the 66.

There are also 3 other things wrong with the replacement panels in that photo for the above examples of my 66's.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Yes, in restoration my trunk was painted black and then the grey and white spatter was supposed to be applied lightly over that, but my painter applied too much spatter paint and just about completely covered over the black. I didn't ask him to re-do it as this is not a 100 point show car, and I think it looks great as is. No, it's not the exact result that GM did back in 66, but I think it looks better than the half-ars job GM did back then. My trunk is uniform. When I look at Jeff Helm's original Aztec Bronze trunk pictures; I think that factory trunk spatter job looks like a 12 year old applied it..... heavy in some spots, light in others, and some black areas have no spatter.

I'd rather have clean uniformity over being 100% accurate - Just like how I do not replicate overspray in my engine bay.

And now that the trunk mat is in place and the spare installed; any other items you may deem not correct will be outta sight.
davewho1 likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 2:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Closest product to 66 trunk paint?

Dave, I am not trying to get it as a perfect restoraton. Just want it to look nice and be protected and get it similar to what it looked like in 66. What you say begs another question. I am stripping the trunk as much as I can before I weld in the sections that need to be replaced.

But would like the inside nice. So what I am finding is that when I take off the original paint first the spots disappear, what is left turns gunky black. So are you saying that after the trunk is painted with whatever that gunky stuff then they lightl sprayed the trunk with a white gray spatter, that soaks or blends into the black stuff.

The gray/white spatter paint I have look at looks nothing like what is originally in my car. Right now I am taking out what I would call a gray white. Thanks again.

Since I am doing this in my garage and am not a professional and I have to also fix the floor, I want to take most if not all of what was sprayed in the car around 1997 off , down to bar metal or the original finish, then etch prime the rear tail panel area and the quarter panel area and then the outer and inner wheelhouse areas, then paint that with the exception of the inner wheelhouse area and upper trunk area with a top coat to act as a sealer ( it will take me some time to finish fitting and welding in the floor sections). Then after finishing the floor, etch prime, seal, apply seam sealer where necessary and finally paint the whole trunk in a spatter paint.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Most of the original trunk floor in my Chevelle was already missing and Micky Mouse'd up with pieces of flat sheet metal, so I can't say how the factory originally applied what to where. For what rusty original trunk floor I still had; there was no thick stuff on it. I did find the thick stuff on the lower insides of the quarter panels, although I did not re-apply any kind of thick stuff back onto the new quarters before painting. I too wanted a cleaner look to my trunk.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

My original 67 Malibu had some undercoating sprayed on the inside of the quarters. It was kinda gunky, but I didn't have to deal with it because I replaced both quarters.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in