Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Raven1

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 4:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wayne

what to put between panels

I have a 1967 Malibu and have removed the deck filler panel to fix rust issues. the factory put tar paper between the panels so as not to rattle. what are you guys putting back in for that? I have also removed the passenger side quarter. how are you guys separating the metal at the rain gutter? I am putting on full quarters and that part is kicking my behind. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 8:15 AM
Kevin

Re: what to put between panels

I should probably preface by saying I'm not a professional body work person so if anyone else chimes in I would listen to their advice over mine.

I bought Dynomat to go between the filler panel and the package tray. I tossed the box so I don't have the part number but it is about the same thickness as the original and is adhesive on one side.

I thought I saw some original tar paper type at one of the parts suppliers. Maybe NPD or OPG.

My 67 had a replacement quarter installed previously installed when I dove into the replacement so I'm not sure how a stock quarter is actually held in place.

On my car the quarter was spot welded to the drip rail so I just drilled out the spot welds. I will have to repair/replace the drip rail.

Where the quarter panel, roof, and drip rail come together it was brazed so I just cut out around the braze then took a flap disk to that.

The part that got me was the quarter was sandwiched between two other pieces of metal in behind the roof. Last picture shows the welds that had to be drilled out from inside and outside to the get the quarter panel off. The picture is looking up from the bottom to behind the roof.

Not sure this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers rear quarter panel_115402.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	620600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver quarter removed_121008.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	620602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter panel up under_123338.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	620604  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 9:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Use NVH between those panels. It is not expandable and is used on new cars for doorskins to intrusion bars, hoods, decklids etc. You'll need a special gun for it. I'm in the business so I don't need to look for many alternatives. The car is not going to rot out before you are dead, so any modern substitute for the factory sponge between this panels will be fine.

Bulk drop the quarter leaving only the perimeter. The drip rail spotwelds are easily removed using a 1/16" cut-off wheel and grinding away until you see a blue heat color change from the skin to the channel. Just peel it out. Drilling out the driprail spotwelds results in unnecessary holes which makes more work. I use panel adhesive on the driprails.
streetperf likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 4:21 AM
Kevin

Sorry this is venturing a little off topic.

Raven1 would you mind sharing the type/brand of adhesive you use?

I've seen others using adhesive on various places around the car like wheel wells to quarter panel and I like the the idea that it seals up the seams from water infiltration and also holds the panels together.

I also like that I don't have to weld it and clean up the welds.

Do you use adhesive on other seams? If so which seams do you recommend? Are there seams where adhesive should not be used?

Do you have any guidance on using and applying the adhesive such as how to clamp the panels when using adhesive and how to get enough adhesive on without getting too much? How to clean off any adhesive that may come out when you clamp the panel.

Not something I have ever contemplated up until this point but the idea is growing on me.

Thanks for the information!

It's very good to get to get guidance from a professional and it's appreciated!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 8:53 AM
Kevin

One other question I have on adhesive.

Do you need to clean off the EDP coating before applying adhesive?

In other words does it need to be a bare metal to bare metal connection to use the adhesive?

Thanks,
Kevin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 6:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wayne

I truly thank you all for the replies. They made this process very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in