• 1 Post By 67_LS1
  • 1 Post By Pats70ss

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 2:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage
Paint and Interior

My 69 Chevelle needs complete interior replaced. I am also wanting to repaint, but the paint on it is okay for now. My question is If I replace/repair all the interior (includes painting floorboards and installing Hushmat) and later decide to repaint with a color change do I need to remove all the interior or can I just mask off the area? I plan on using the water/sand blasting and that question is how to do the door jams and other areas just masked off. Will it hold up under the water blasting?

Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start again??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 2:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454
Re: Paint and Interior

To do it right, you should remove the entire interior, glass, dash, trim, etc.
RealRed70, 68-13427 and Pats70ss like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
To do it right, you should remove the entire interior, glass, dash, trim, etc.
Amen to that, you will destroy any parts not removed no matter how hard you try to protect them, ask me how i know. Terry
RealRed70 likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 8:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

I kinda figured that
Thanks guys

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 10:35 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1 View Post
My 69 Chevelle needs complete interior replaced. I am also wanting to repaint, but the paint on it is okay for now. My question is If I replace/repair all the interior (includes painting floorboards and installing Hushmat) and later decide to repaint with a color change do I need to remove all the interior or can I just mask off the area? I plan on using the water/sand blasting and that question is how to do the door jams and other areas just masked off. Will it hold up under the water blasting? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/Chevelles_2016/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png[/IMG]
If you want factory looking paint job, ask your self how did they do it.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:38 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

When I took my 67 convertible in for color change paint job it had been my daily driver for a while. But I took off everything I could including the complete interior. I did not remove the glass or conv. top. This saved me hours and hours of paid labor and was easily in my skill wheelhouse.
Unbeknownst to me beforehand, the body shop then pulled the doors, hood, fenders and trunk lid. They did not pull the glass or top and replaced/realigned all the sheetmetal after paint.
Paint job came out fantastic except for some reason they painted the metal portion of the door tops the outside color. Easy fix.
Much slower going back together once I got it home. New gaskets everywhere. Then the grill didnít look up to par. Then the bumpers didnít look very shiny, etc, etc. It just cascaded.
Pats70ss likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
When I took my 67 convertible in for color change paint job it had been my daily driver for a while. But I took off everything I could including the complete interior. I did not remove the glass or conv. top. This saved me hours and hours of paid labor and was easily in my skill wheelhouse.
Unbeknownst to me beforehand, the body shop then pulled the doors, hood, fenders and trunk lid. They did not pull the glass or top and replaced/realigned all the sheetmetal after paint.
Paint job came out fantastic except for some reason they painted the metal portion of the door tops the outside color. Easy fix.
Much slower going back together once I got it home. New gaskets everywhere. Then the grill didnít look up to par. Then the bumpers didnít look very shiny, etc, etc. It just cascaded.
LOL the cascading part, yea, I understand. Would you mind telling me the cost of the paint job?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 1:10 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
LOL the cascading part, yea, I understand. Would you mind telling me the cost of the paint job?
It was in 2002 so a LONG time ago but I paid $5k.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 3:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
It was in 2002 so a LONG time ago but I paid $5k.
I'm getting quotes from $10,000 to $12,000

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 4:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
I'm getting quotes from $10,000 to $12,000

Not surprising at all. If you start talking show quality you can be well north of those numbers quick!
Greg P likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 4:13 PM
Tech Team

Sounds good for bodywork, paint & interior. I spent 2500 on just paint and painting supplies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in