1972 Firewall hole question - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1972 Firewall hole question

Does anyone mind showing me a picture of their 72 chevelle firewall? Preferably directly behind engine? There is a massive hole that I can't figure out what it belongs to. My car is fully hooked up from a wiring perspective, so I can't figure out what goes through this hole. I can post a picture of mine when I get home, but I couldn't wait to post this, thinking I would have found a picture by now, but now luck. Mine is pretty close to my distributor, and is quite large. Help please. (I found older threads about this, but it wouldn't let me comment because of age of thread)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 1972 Firewall hole question

Wiper motor hole ?

Speedometer cable Grommet hole ?.

Someone drilled or punched it out years ago for something not factory ?

Yep, pictures might help.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:30 PM
Tech Team
Dan

I was going to say the wiper motor hole, but you said the electronics are fully wired, so it's hard to know without pictures.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:31 PM

You might find your answer in this video. https://youtu.be/APk5ms7DJBE

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I was able to dig up an old photo on my phone, quality isn't very good, but I think you can still see. And yeah not the wiper motor, best I could come up with was AC wiring, but why would that go through the firewall there? (Thinking out loud).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	617300  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:53 PM
Tech Team
Cody

It's from the HVAC control to the A/C, it's there so that it goes up into the wiring gutter above it.

1971 Monte Carlo
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Does that get wired into the under-dash harness? or is it kind of its own harness?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 3:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

The A/C wiring harness is a " STAND ALONE Harness ". I do know a 1970 Chevelle A/C harness is Different than a 1971,( 71s have relays under the glove box,,72s??? ) Not sure about 1972s. I would NOT mix & match a Different year A/C wiring harness.
NOTE: When I converted my 1971 Wagon to a 70( It was punched in the nose). I used all 1970 wiring. After I built the car and was getting the A/C up & running......... THATS when I found out about the different A/C harness.
YEP !....... Pull the dash apart remove the 1971 harness and install a 1970 A/C harness. GEE,,, Just think,,, While building the car the dash was out, The engine was out and the seats were out. Looking back,,, I guess I thought I was a " Know it all." I just add it to the list of " My screw / ups ".....
Bob
P.S. Removing the 1971 harness and installing the 1970
A/C harness, I got my 6 foot 4" buddy Scott Miller, He was tall and could lean over the " Covered up "..." Fresh Paint " and not mess it up. I would feed him the 71 to get it out and push the 70 in, through the firewall."
Scott laughed and called this a cluster ---- !

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 4:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This would make sense since I deleted the AC system from my car. Thanks for helping me figure this out. Now to find some type of plug...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 7:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
The A/C wiring harness is a " STAND ALONE Harness ". I do know a 1970 Chevelle A/C harness is Different than a 1971,( 71s have relays under the glove box,,72s??? ) Not sure about 1972s. I would NOT mix & match a Different year A/C wiring harness.
NOTE: When I converted my 1971 Wagon to a 70( It was punched in the nose). I used all 1970 wiring. After I built the car and was getting the A/C up & running......... THATS when I found out about the different A/C harness.
YEP !....... Pull the dash apart remove the 1971 harness and install a 1970 A/C harness. GEE,,, Just think,,, While building the car the dash was out, The engine was out and the seats were out. Looking back,,, I guess I thought I was a " Know it all." I just add it to the list of " My screw / ups ".....
Bob
P.S. Removing the 1971 harness and installing the 1970
A/C harness, I got my 6 foot 4" buddy Scott Miller, He was tall and could lean over the " Covered up "..." Fresh Paint " and not mess it up. I would feed him the 71 to get it out and push the 70 in, through the firewall."
Scott laughed and called this a cluster ---- !
Bob, i think we all have had a hiccup such as yours ,that we learned from. I have had a few myself. P.S. Love your wagon. Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in