1972 Chevelle: How to lower the front edge of the hood - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

1972 Chevelle: How to lower the front edge of the hood

I need some expert advice with my hood adjustment. I did a thorough search and everything deals with lowering the rear of the hood but nothing for the front.

All of my previous Chevelles needed the usual rotation of the hinge to bring down the rear of the hood level to the fender. My current Chevelle has the opposite problem, the rear edges are adjusted perfectly but the front sits too high where it meets the fender extension, only on the passenger side. The driver side is good from front to back. When the previous owner had the car, the front edges were even but the rear edges sat up too high. I guess since itís been adjusted to bring the rear down, it raised the front up on that one side. The front hole of the passenger side hinge where it meets the fender is maxed out for travel and may need to be hogged out, but hoping there is an easier way. I donít want to remove the hood unless I truly have to. Iíve played with the hinge every which way and canít seem to bring the front of the hood down. The rubber stopper in the front is adjusted properly and not contacting the hood in the shut position on that side. That was the first thing I checked.

Any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 1972 Chevelle: How to lower the front edge of the hood

Adjust the latch so it pulls the high side down.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Adjust the latch so it pulls the high side down.
The high side is the passenger side where the hood meets the fender extension. The same area on the opposite side is adjusted properly, meaning this is a hinge adjustment issue. The latch being in the center, wouldn’t that affect both sides of the hood?

If you put a shim between the hood and the hinge in the forward hole, would that bring the entire hood line lower or will it just lower it in the rear?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Your hood will twist a small amount. If you pull the center down and the good side is on the bumper it will pull the high side down.
427L88 and GotGrunt like this.

70 (SOLD)

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I would pull the hood down with the latch to make whatever is the highest level, and use whatever side is low (driver) bumper to bring that side back up.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 12:19 PM
Gold Member
Gene

??? Maybe I am missing something, but the orientation is mainly due to 1. Hinge angle, 2. ) latch pin depth, and 3. ) stopper height. The first thing I would do is shorten the latch pin ( the donkey dick thing) up some.
GotGrunt likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 1:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Some pics would really help

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Some pics would really help
The close up pictures are the way the hood sits as of right now. The full car shot is when the previous owner had the car. The hood sat pretty good at that time until he had the hood off to pull the engine. It’s been sitting high on the passenger side ever since it went back on. Could there have been a shim between the hood and the hinge that wasn’t replaced? I’m asking because I don’t think the hinges or latch were messed with when the hood came off. FWIW, the latch is adjusted pretty tight at the moment so I don’t think I can shorten the pin any more without running into issues latching the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38F9F142-04A9-4830-8C0E-92B90E00D27E_1582052933639.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	617014   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5573180-5853-42D9-9C54-712AEFD974F7_1582052945346.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	617016   Click image for larger version

Name:	446094D3-2B49-447B-9C6C-80E3B384402B_1582053984076.jpeg
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	617036  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 2:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Adjust the hood stop down that is on top of the radiator support.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 2:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Adjust the hood stop down that is on top of the radiator support.
The hood doesn’t touch the stopper. If you press that corner of the hood down to the make to contact the stopper, it brings it level to where it actually needs to be.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 3:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGrunt View Post
The hood doesnít touch the stopper. If you press that corner of the hood down to the make to contact the stopper, it brings it level to where it actually needs to be.
Move your latch pin in to shorten it as suggested numerous times. Give it a shot and quit f%#$&g around with the hinges. You hood is not a piece of plate glass, it will have some flex.

70 (SOLD)

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 3:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Quote:
The hood doesn’t touch the stopper. If you press that corner of the hood down to the make to contact the stopper, it brings it level to where it actually needs to be.
Move your latch pin in to shorten it as suggested numerous times. Give it a shot and quit f%#$&g around with the hinges. You hood is not a piece of plate glass, it will have some flex.
Thanks for the advice, and I’m sure that this is one way to solve the issue. Believe me, I get it! I am tempted to go do it now but the only thing holding me back is to see if there may be something else that is being overlooked. I’m saying that because the hood fit well up front before, and the latch pin length wasn’t messed with. I can say that with 100% certainty because the underside of the hood is painted red as well as the latch & pin and the paint isn’t chipped around the jam nut, which will surely happen once I put a wrench on it lol if there is no magical shimming of the hood that will fix this problem, I will shorten the latch pin.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 7:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Well, I couldn’t stand looking at it any more so I went out and shortened the pin like you suggested, slowly testing it until I got to the desired fit. I had to adjust the hood stopper on the drivers side to compensate for the drop. The only problem was breaking the hood latch pin loose since it had been painted over. Thanks again for the advice, worked like a charm! I’m not sure how they had it adjusted to fit before but this was the simple fix I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6EB1B768-DFE0-483D-8A8E-28E31ED29624_1582070578822.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	617048   Click image for larger version

Name:	170EF595-407D-4A8E-A4AE-97F644EE8A86_1582070596445.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	617050   Click image for larger version

Name:	03DCCEBC-27EC-4E6F-A3B4-46A27DABE24D_1582070904224.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	617054  
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 7:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Well, I couldnít stand looking at it any more so I went out and shortened the pin like you suggested, slowly testing it until I got to the desired fit. I had to adjust the hood stopper on the drivers side to compensate for the drop. The only problem was breaking the hood latch pin loose since it had been painted over. Thanks again for the advice, worked like a charm! Iím not sure how they had it adjusted to fit before but this was the simple fix I was looking for.

Looks good!
GotGrunt likes this.

70 (SOLD)

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 11:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Looks really good. Great job!
GotGrunt likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in