3Likes
  • 1 Post By stanski
  • 1 Post By Pete 67
  • 1 Post By bjl95mustang
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Unread Feb 13th, 20, 4:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brandon

Process for remounting fenders and core support.

I purchased this 71 last year and Iím fixing a few issues. The previous owner replaced the core support. When I replaced the body bushings I found the core support bushings installed wrong.

Iím redoing the a/c and replacing the door hinges so I have the fenders off and the core support loose right now.

Iíve got the door hinges replaced and the door realigned. I have a pretty good idea on how to get the fenders aligned but how is that done with the core support. Do I get everything hand tight then measure corner to corner in the engine bay? Then adjust from there?

1971 Chevelle Malibu, 383 Stroker, Antique Green with White Roof. (Heavy Chevy knock off)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Unread Feb 13th, 20, 4:26 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Re: Process for remounting fenders and core support.

The only things you should worry about with the core support:
  1. It is square with the frame (I usually do this with the bumper up to make sure it passes the eye test).
  2. The tilt of the fenders, so you would shim the core bushings as needed. Just follow the body lines and make sure the gap is even between the fender and the door at the top and bottom.
  3. The distance between the fender and the door. I normally make it 1/8" gap. Factory manual calls for 1/16" tolerance, and 1/16" between the fender and the rocker.

Though I have found it is kind of a pain with aftermarket parts. You'd have the bolts hand tightened until you get it the way you want using shims.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Unread Feb 13th, 20, 9:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBoy721 View Post
The only things you should worry about with the core support:
  1. It is square with the frame (I usually do this with the bumper up to make sure it passes the eye test).
  2. The tilt of the fenders, so you would shim the core bushings as needed. Just follow the body lines and make sure the gap is even between the fender and the door at the top and bottom.
  3. The distance between the fender and the door. I normally make it 1/8" gap. Factory manual calls for 1/16" tolerance, and 1/16" between the fender and the rocker.

Though I have found it is kind of a pain with aftermarket parts. You'd have the bolts hand tightened until you get it the way you want using shims.
Dan, what reference points did you use to square the core support to the frame? Thanks, Terry

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Unread Feb 14th, 20, 11:11 AM
Tech Team
Stan

I set the core support in place with the new bushings leaving the bolts loose. Then loosely hang the fenders and set the front of door to rear of fender gap adding shims to the core support as required. Then tighten up the fender bolts to hold that gap. Measure hood opening from corner to corner to get it as square as possible by sliding the core support side to side as required. Then drop in the hood and tap the core support side to side again as needed to get the fender to hood gaps even. Now you give the core support bolts a final tightening and add more shims as necessary as the compressing rubber may change the door to fender gap. The core support is now set in place and you can take off the fenders and hood if needed.
68-13427 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Unread Feb 14th, 20, 1:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

After loosely bolting up the radiator support and before installing the fenders, I gently lay the inner fenders over the tires & get a few of the front bolts started. After you install the fenders, it makes it very easy to finish installing the inners without scratching anything.
68-13427 likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Unread Feb 15th, 20, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brandon

Thanks everyone for the help. I didn't realize how much play there was on the body till I got everything taken apart. This will help me when I put everything back on.

I'm just waiting for all of the a/c parts to come in so I can re install the evap box and put the car back together.

I know something was definitely off because the condenser was hitting the lower support bar right in the middle. it wore a hole right through the condenser.
David Bates likes this.

1971 Chevelle Malibu, 383 Stroker, Antique Green with White Roof. (Heavy Chevy knock off)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 9:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brandon

So I got the driver side fender mounted yesterday. I only had the shim the fender on the rocker. Everything else lined up without any shims.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 1:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl95mustang View Post
So I got the driver side fender mounted yesterday. I only had the shim the fender on the rocker. Everything else lined up without any shims.
When you disassembled the front clip, were there shims in other positions? How did the gaps look previously?

Until you have both fenders & the hood installed, you probably won't know if that drivers side fender will need more shims.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in