• 1 Post By Raven1
  • 1 Post By RAIDER SS
  • 1 Post By vortec710

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 1:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Underside Coating Preference

Hey Guys, I was going to replace my rusted out wheel wells. Before I install, do you have a preference of coating to prevent chips and rusting? Part of me wants to try that lizard skin but I haven't read many long term reviews. Or should I just spray a couple heavy coats of epoxy on them and maybe top with an industrial 2 part Urethane like an Imron?

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 3:29 PM
Tech Team

Re: Underside Coating Preference

I used the Rator bed liner in all the wheelwells and body underside

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 3:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I painted my underbody and wheelwells with Chassis Shield epoxy, and sprayed only the wheel wells with 3M rattle can undercoating. Looks good, not too heavy and provides some road noise reduction. I used the same undercoating on the inside of the new door skins too.
71350SS likes this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 4:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

I sprayed my car in the lizards skin a few years ago and I love. it. When I did it I sprayed the inside of the car and door, not as a undercoat. I am honestly not sure how well it would hold up as an undercoat, but it is very good stuff.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 9:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Lubriplate spray grease. It dry's to a nice dull black and keeps the steel in grease..

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...SABEgKnoPD_BwE

71350SS likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 12:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner for under body. I used brush-on for most of it and spray-on for the tight areas. I also used Eastwood Chassis Black for the outside of the frame and Internal Frame Coating on the inside of the frame. I ground the old crap off with a stiff knotted cup type wire wheel and angle grinder first, washed it all down with solvent, and rolled on the bed liner. It's a very very dirty job, but worth it. Doing it this way also changes the color of everything in the shop.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 12:45 PM
Tech Team
Troy

I used Raptor Liner under the car and used Lizard skin two stage sound/heat barrier I side the car.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
71350SS likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 2:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

A lot of good ideas and products used here. My first go around with the fenders I have were coated with coal tar epoxy, which held up great over the 7 years since I patched them. I'm leaning towards doing epoxy coating again, but not as thick a product, then topping with an undercoating. But I'll see what else people have done

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 2:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

I don't remember the brand name, Rustoleum maybe. It was basically POR-15 with little chunks of rubber in it. I did the underside of the body about 9 years ago, still looks great. I first wire wheeled the original parts of the floor (basically just the bit between the rear seat pan and the trunk pan), scuffed the e-coated bits, painted the original metal with POR-15, then when the POR was still tacky, painted the entire underside with SPI epoxy, then the undercoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 6:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I used Hercules after I installed new rockers on the Avalanche. Took 2 coats and had rubber chunks in it. Came out pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C776A26-60A6-45EA-8841-4FC2D2CAADA1_1579816908454.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	614412   Click image for larger version

Name:	47AB81CA-67BD-483D-B411-85004F91564A_1579816940337.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	614414  

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 8:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
I used Hercules after I installed new rockers on the Avalanche. Took 2 coats and had rubber chunks in it. Came out pretty well.
That's what I used. Your post jogged my memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 9:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Twenty years ago I shot my floors with epoxy followed by Duracryl (if any one remembers what that is). After a frame off resto, nothing underneath is failing after 40K miles. And I drive my car in the rain and down dirt roads. Willing to bet most don't even take their car out if they see one cloud in a sky of blue. I do this work every day and am well aware of protective products available. You guys will be dead before your cars even begin to fail or rot.
roketengineer likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 1:17 PM
Tech Team
Caleb

Garage

Had the same question a few months ago. Basically, my plan on mine is to strip the EDP coating (from AMD) from the new floor/trunk pans, re-shoot a two-part epoxy, seam seal the heck out of it, then use POR Bedliner (or some other bedliner coating; I'm open to anything regardless of cost; that being said I'm shying away from POR Bedliner as its a 'water-based' coating; change my mind).

I plan on putting my body on a tip-over jig to make this easy. I've found a few threads showing how to build this contraption.

Obviously, this may be over kill for a 'fair weather car' but we don't want to do this stuff twice. And I'm in my 20's so I'm sure we will run out of gas before my car needs rust repair...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 20, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roketengineer View Post
Obviously, this may be over kill for a 'fair weather car' but we don't want to do this stuff twice. And I'm in my 20's so I'm sure we will run out of gas before my car needs rust repair...
LOL - Good one!
Jayhawk500 likes this.

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 20, 4:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

Just a friendly reminder, I've posted this before. if you are removing ORIGINAL GM undercoating prior to recoating, the original GM undercoating in the wheel wells contained asbestos in a bituminous base, HAZMAT precautions-suits and respirator would be an excellent precaution....remember Steve McQueen and his Navy asbestos exposure...FWIW
91c1500sleeper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in