6Likes
  • 2 Post By RAIDER SS
  • 1 Post By RAIDER SS
  • 3 Post By Pete 67

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 9:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Preserving a 66 hood for storage, how

I have a 66 hood that has most of the paint stripped off the bottom with minimal surface rust showing. I took all the paint off the lip down to bare metal to make sure that was good with no rust or pin holes. I also took it down to bare metal wher the top sheet metal fold over the bottom skin to make sure that was good. I left the top painted, looks to be painted a couple of times. On the bottom side there appear to be some kind of flexiable coating sprayed up on the inside on the back side of the front lip area.

I want to stop here and keep the hood in storage for future use if necessary. What should I do to protect it from the elements and rust? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 11:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage
Re: Preserving a 66 hood for storage, how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
What should I do to protect it from the elements and rust?
How long are you going to store it and where?

I think if you were going to store it indoors and away from the outdoor elements; I'd prolly hit it with one of todays primer / paint combo in a rattle can. That will be easy to remove once you decide to refinish the entire hood for real.

I wouldn't use oil to stop the rust 'cause it'll be hard to remove later, as the oil will wick into the seams.
TerryAT and B52bombardier1 like this.

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I think I should use Etch Primer, right? Then a light coat of lacquer or enamel?

What about after cleaning the underside as best as I can then pour a quart of this stuff and let is soak all around inside the hood between the upper and lower skins. The prime and paint.

Ospho Rust Treatment - Since 1947

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 10:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Usually I overthink things, but in this case I think you only need to cover raw steel with hardware store rattle can primer/paint combo. Quick dry is fine.

As far as the metal between the inner and outer; when the time comes to repaint the hood and car - that is when you will sand / clean up this area and apply your epoxy primer here before paint just like you do to the rest of the hood underside.

I don't know anything about the product you show, but in my opinion I think that may be overthinking this. YMMV.
427L88 likes this.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 2:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

DO NOT waste your time with rattle can primer or Etch primer. All of that stuff is ancient technology. Spray it once with a quality Epoxy primer & you won't need to top coat it with rattle can enamel or lacquer. Then when the time comes to pull it out of storage, you won't need to waste more time stripping off that cheap primer.

Before spraying the epoxy, have the hood stripped to bare metal. Do it right once & you'll never need to worry about it again.
Greg P, davewho1 and sstom66 like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 5:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Since he stated "I want to stop here and keep the hood in storage for future use if necessary" - that's when I suggested a quick coat of primer/paint over the smaller areas of exposed metal to stop it from rusting. This will come off quite easily later IF and when he decides to properly finish the whole hood.

He does not want to go through the proper stripping of the entire hood at this point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in