Rechrome Tail light bezels 68 chevelle 300 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Rechrome Tail light bezels 68 chevelle 300

I have a pair of tail light bezels for a 68 Chevelle 300 2 door post that I am restoring. They have some pitting and need to be rechromed. They are not reproduced and are different from the Malibu/ss bezels as they have rounded corners and are not designed for trunk moldings. I need recommendations on a shop that will do them right. I’m in central California but these items are small so I have no problem shipping them to get them done right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:59 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage
Re: Rechrome Tail light bezels 68 chevelle 300

They are pot metal and it takes a special expertise to prepare the substrate. I would use Paul's. https://www.paulschrome.com/index.ph...ation-a-repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 4:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

If they have anything but minor pitting I'd do it myself. Never dealt with Pauls but to do it correctly, you have to drill each pit out and fill. That's a ton of work! Most chrome shops just grind the metal down to flat, smooth, then chrome and polish. That'll work if the pot metal has very minor pitting, but will eventually come back. It's all what you're willing to do or spend.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 8:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Two other options are Librandi's Plating in Middletown, PA and Sherm's Custom Plating in Sacramento, CA. I have used both for "pot metal" parts and aluminum trim and am extremely satisfied with both but they are not cheap.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 3:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

http://aihchrome.com/

I used these guys on my 68 tail light chrome. They still look great 17 yrs later. As I recall, I paid like $250 then.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 4:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
AIH Chrome - Custom Chrome and Nickel Plating | Dubuque, IA

I used these guys on my 68 tail light chrome. They still look great 17 yrs later. As I recall, I paid like $250 then.

AIH is the go-to plater for many in my area for those who want perfection. I got a pair of '67 bezels back from them a few months ago. Took over a year and cost $1,000. They are concours perfect!
I have also used The Finishing Touch in Chicago, turn around a little quicker, also perfection and expensive.
Chrome pot metal is no place to cheap out!

A few '67s and a '66
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 4:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
AIH is the go-to plater for many in my area for those who want perfection. I got a pair of '67 bezels back from them a few months ago. Took over a year and cost $1,000. They are concours perfect!

I have also used The Finishing Touch in Chicago, turn around a little quicker, also perfection and expensive.

Chrome pot metal is no place to cheap out!
$1000! I am way out of touch. I haven't restored a car in quite a while. But yes I would agree they do phenomenal work. They guy tried to talk me out of it when I took the pieces to him, explain how they would have to drill out the pits in the pot metal, then braze them shut, then sand it down before any of the chroming process could begin. At the end of that diatribe, I said, you have have convinced me that I HAVE TO HAVE THEM DONE HERE!

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to check out Sherm’s. Not too far away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in