2Likes
  • 2 Post By toofastforyou

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David Estes

Garage
Thinking about repainting

I have a 69 Chevelle that was painted by someone that apparently didn't know what masking tape or sandpaper was
The paint is flaking off due to little or no prep. I know I should strip it first, but what about the door jams? I do not want to bead blast since I'll have to completely disassemble. I know to get a good paint job I should remove the hood, deck lid and fenders, but m concerned with getting sand inside the car as it has new interior. Any recommendations??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 1:25 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Re: Thinking about repainting

When I had my 67 convertible painted, I pulled the almost new interior prior to sending it to the paint shop. Everything except the dash and dash pad. It took me a couple of hours.
I also pulled the bumpers, grill, headlights, taillights, emblems, window felts. Pretty much everything except the door handles.
The shop pulled the hood, trunk lid and doors. They didn’t blast the car because the old paint was was in pretty good shape, no flaking, etc.
All this gets back to the fact that prep is 90% of a paint job. I saved money by removing everything I could so they didn’t have to and there would be minimum masking mistakes.
In your case with old paint that needs to be removed, I would use a dustless blasting service for the entire exterior.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 2:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David Estes

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
When I had my 67 convertible painted, I pulled the almost new interior prior to sending it to the paint shop. Everything except the dash and dash pad. It took me a couple of hours.
I also pulled the bumpers, grill, headlights, taillights, emblems, window felts. Pretty much everything except the door handles.
The shop pulled the hood, trunk lid and doors. They didn’t blast the car because the old paint was was in pretty good shape, no flaking, etc.
All this gets back to the fact that prep is 90% of a paint job. I saved money by removing everything I could so they didn’t have to and there would be minimum masking mistakes.
In your case with old paint that needs to be removed, I would use a dustless blasting service for the entire exterior.
Yes, I have been looking at dustless blasting. Got a lot of things to do before I take this on. Want to drive it some this spring and summer. How about the headliner? I have a new one to install, but was kind of waiting.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 2:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

"suprdave1", if you want a nice job, disassemble it. Don't try to "cut corners" like the previous guy did… You know the results…

Good luck,

Claude.
DUKE 69 and NickeyChevelle like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 9:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David Estes

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
"suprdave1", if you want a nice job, disassemble it. Don't try to "cut corners" like the previous guy did… You know the results…

Good luck,

Claude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in