Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 19, 8:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
Repro sheet metal: Old vs. New?

I have an opportunity to get some AMD sheet metal that is most likely over a decade old, maybe older. ('71 SS-right rear quarter, roof panel, SS hood). In new condition, 2 pieces in the original packaging, although the boxes are raggled up. The metal is all good, no dings, etc.

My question is, is the newer stamped stuff (of any manufacturer) better than the older stuff, either fit wise or any other issues wise?

The guy basically wants today's retail pricing for it, the only real advantage that it is local, so I wouldn't have to pay freight, or take a trip to Carlisle. Then again, if I end up with some kind of issue, there would be no solution that I may get from a reputable vendor.

Or am I overthinking this?

Thanks for your opinions.

Jim

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner
2017 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 19, 9:32 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage
Re: Repro sheet metal: Old vs. New?

I think you are right to do your due diligence. While I don’t have a direct answer to your question I do have two thoughts. If it was manufactured by AMD I doubt they would change their tooling, so *should be* the same. That said I think in the earliest days of AMD they did not have all the tooling for Chevelle sheet model and sold another manufacturers parts to have a complete catalog. I would call AMD to see if you can get the answers to those two issues. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 19, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

My position is buy new. Someone asking retail for dated repro parts obviously wants to keep them. Your point of fitment without the advantage of return Is important. Make an offer that benefits your overall budget, if it doesn’t, walk away.
Alan F and kermitsass like this.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 19, 12:53 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I would think decade old Sheetmetal might also be subject to incorrect storage. Might be tweaked from sitting or being stacked.
I also think that newer Sheetmetal may benefit from improvements to the dies, better coatings, etc over the years.
Unless the older metal is significantly discounted, I’d buy new.
Alan F, davewho1 and TerryAT like this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 19, 1:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

I'd pass on the old Sheetmetal. I often see adverts from suppliers that states "All New Tooling," plus, as I recall, AMD only recently started specing their "own" Sheetmetal... Anything as old as what you're looking at may have been sold by AMD, but AMD didn't spec it.

Since the seller is asking current prices, heck no, I wouldn't buy the stuff.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Repro sheetmetal only gets a maximum of 50% of retail, more often less. Return policies do not exist with private sales. Anything I buy from Ground Up I do not like gets a full refund. Quality consistency for repro parts varies. A Camaro tailpanel from AMD that was good 5 years ago was not acceptable last year. Do this everyday and you'll find out. Expect the worst and hope for better.
cheveslakr likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 10:25 AM
Team Member
Roger

From personal experience, new AMD sheet metal doesn't fit like you'd expect. Yes, they advertise that they have 'new' die's. But the end result is their fenders don't fit. But they look pretty.
And I don't know of another vender that produces, or just sells, quality repop sheet metal. I think if you could research the source of the sheet metal, you'd find they probably all come from one or two factories somewhere over seas.
But maybe my expectations are too high.
davewho1 and Kopfjaeger like this.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2015 Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax CC DRW
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Another possible concern is that back in the day they may not have used "weld thru primer"...

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 1:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Wow, Now there are NOS Repo parts! NOSR, LOL
davewho1 likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 6:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raineman View Post
I have an opportunity to get some AMD sheet metal that is most likely over a decade old, maybe older. ('71 SS-right rear quarter, roof panel, SS hood). In new condition, 2 pieces in the original packaging, although the boxes are raggled up. The metal is all good, no dings, etc.

My question is, is the newer stamped stuff (of any manufacturer) better than the older stuff, either fit wise or any other issues wise?

The guy basically wants today's retail pricing for it, the only real advantage that it is local, so I wouldn't have to pay freight, or take a trip to Carlisle. Then again, if I end up with some kind of issue, there would be no solution that I may get from a reputable vendor.

Or am I overthinking this?

Thanks for your opinions.

Jim
Better than original? I doubt it. Good as original? I doubt that too.

I had my car done by a guy, an old school hotrodder, who was a real metalworker. He had an English wheel and was a master working with that wheel and with a welder. A quote from him may tell you something.."I would rather make my own patch panels and weld them in than deal with aftermarket sheet metal".

One of the things that convinced me to hire him was a 68 Chevelle he had done At the time only 69 quarters were available but the 69's had openings for running lights down on the lower rear side of the quarter panel. He made patches to fill those holes making them into 68 quarters. Looking at BOTH the insde of the quarter (trunk side) and the outside of the quarter there was no way to see what he had welded in. I got to see the before and after ...one quarter before patching and the other sdie quarter after it was done. Amazing work. I know the patch itself is not a big deal...more or less a flat piece with a tiny curvature to it but once he fnished welding and grinding it was indeed a masterpiece. I saw other work he had done that required much more extensive use of the wheel and it was just as impressive as those patches on the quarters
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
Better than original? I doubt it. Good as original? I doubt that too.

I had my car done by a guy, an old school hotrodder, who was a real metalworker. He had an English wheel and was a master working with that wheel and with a welder. A quote from him may tell you something.."I would rather make my own patch panels and weld them in than deal with aftermarket sheet metal".

O
Well that depends on the situation, parts available and their quality. I do this everyday, as do many other shops. I've used some repro panels that fit great. I like to repair assembly line parts if possible. NOS and late stamped NOS often need work because the dies are worn. Not unusual to throw thousands at NOS parts to make them fit well. Show quality and the bill is higher. I took on a 57 Chevy stepside that another shop started and they used repro doors which fit very well; nice gaps with no mods. As I said earlier, there are no constants in this industry. Those who don't have to deal with every make and model coming into their shop have it made.
NickeyChevelle and 1943MB like this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy View Post
Another possible concern is that back in the day they may not have used "weld thru primer"...
No company uses weld thru primer on new panels. You may be referring to EDP, which gets removed on restorations. Different EDP procedures apply to the collision industry.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 11:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
No company uses weld thru primer on new panels. You may be referring to EDP, which gets removed on restorations. Different EDP procedures apply to the collision industry.

Some Dynacorn parts come in weld through primer.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 20, 9:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Some Dynacorn parts come in weld through primer.
What kind and what parts? Zinc? I've never purchased a full panel in weld thru primer. Interesting.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 20, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I’ve had interior floors, trunk floors, trunk extensions, tail panels, and cowl shoulders come that way.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in