Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillyGman

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 2:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Changing Stripes

I'm in a negotiation on a 70 Chevelle that is Cranberry Red and has black stripes on hood and deck. Car is painted base clear. Would it be possible to change the color of the stripes to white? If so, how big or an ordeal would that be and what would that cost at a professional shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 2:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage
Re: Changing Stripes

It all depends on the shop doing the work. Best guess you would be looking at 1500-2000 BUT.. Make sure whomever does the stripes does them correctly. About 90% of repainted 70-72 Chevelles out there have stripes that are far from correct. Being it is already base/clear they aren't "correct" but when I say correct I am referring to the dimensions.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 3:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

How involved do you want to get? Conceivably one could simply mask off the cranberry paint at the black stripes and repaint just the white stripes on top of the existing black stripes...

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 3:39 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Garage

Are the stripes buried under the clear or single stage on top? Both methods are used, and make a big difference in how you change it.

1971 Monte Carlo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 3:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

My guess is they are buried under the clear. I agree, if they are in fact on top of the clear it would be easy enough to wet sand them off, masked it up and respray. Under the clear, only real option is to respray the entire hood/trunk/rear deck panel, way more involved, Red may not match etc.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 10:24 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Not a big deal, but I would budget at least $1500. You would block the existing stripes with 800-1000 to get a flat surface, fine line mask the existing stripes, shoot white base, then clear the entire hood and trunk. The more coats of clear the better you'll be able to wet sand the edges to get the stripes totally smooth and buried. You will have to follow the existing footprint of the stripes otherwise it could require repainting the red as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I don't do body work, nor do I know a lot about paint. But if you're going to have the stripes re-done, do yourself a big favor: Order this kit, and bring it to the place that you bring your Chevelle to, and give it to them. That's what I did, and not only did the stripes on my 70 Chevelle come out perfect, and correct, but the owner of the place thanked me for bringing that kit to him. He said that the kit and the instructions that are included with it were excellent and made his job easier when it came to the stripes.....

https://www.stencilsandstripes.com/p...-stencil-kits/
71350SS likes this.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 4:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I am glad you are not talking about your pet, " ZEBRA ", That would be tough!...
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 12:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
I am glad you are not talking about your pet, " ZEBRA ", That would be tough!...
Bob
Oh, well they have a stencil kit for that too.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 1:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

If you really want to go cheap.... get a white vinyl stripe kit and put them over the top of the black... that's assuming the painted strips are reasonably close to the correct size

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in