Wiper Motor - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 5:52 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Scott

Wiper Motor

I am having trouble with getting the correct wiper motor. The car is a 69 SS. When I got the car it had no wiper motor so I can't use that for reference. I don't know if I have hidden wipers or not. Can someone tell me how I can tell? I do have a plate that was with the car that bolts up to the oval hole on the firewall. The plate has a smaller round hole in the center. I am seeing 1st design and 2nd design also. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 7:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Wiper Motor

A Malibu with the SS396 option will have concealed wipers. Generally a 300 Deluxe with the SS396 option will not. However, a concealed wiper option was available on the 300 Deluxe Chevelles. Check your VIN: 13637 is a 'Bu.

There were two different concealed wiper motors and either the 1st or 2nd design motor will fit your wiring harness.

This is the 1st/early design (which includes the Wiper Motor AND the Washer Pump): https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/AWM-4169K.html. NOTE: you'll also need the mounting kit: https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/APW-2...elle&year=1969

This is the 2nd design: https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/AWM-4...elle&year=1969 Note the difference in how the harness mounts to the wiper motor. The corresponding Washer Pump is different from the above 1st design, and I don't see where Ground Up carries the 2nd design pump.

There is only one non-concealed wiper motor.
71350SS and WurlitzBurg like this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NickeyChevelle; Dec 10th, 19 at 7:20 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 7:21 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
A Malibu with the SS396 option will have concealed wipers. Generally a 300 Deluxe with the SS396 option will not. However, a concealed wiper option was available on the 300 Deluxe Chevelles. Check your VIN: 13637 is a 'Bu.

There were two different concealed wiper motors and either the 1st or 2nd design motor will fit your wiring harness.

This is the 1st/early design (which includes the Wiper Motor AND the Washer Pump): https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/AWM-4169K.html. NOTE: you'll also need the mounting kit: https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/APW-2...elle&year=1969

This is the 2nd design: https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/AWM-4...elle&year=1969 Note the difference in how the harness mounts to the wiper motor. The corresponding Washer Pump is different from the above 1st design.

There is only one non-concealed wiper motor.
13637 is also an SS in 69

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 8:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
"Could be an SS396 Option." Not "is."
71350SS likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 8:29 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Scott

I do have 13637 built in July I assume with a 7A on the trim tag? Don't know if that would be 1st or 2nd design. Would it matter which one I get since I am replacing the complete wiring harness?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink1 View Post
I do have 13637 built in July I assume with a 7A on the trim tag? Don't know if that would be 1st or 2nd design. Would it matter which one I get since I am replacing the complete wiring harness?
Either wiper motor/pump combo will fit, so unless you're building a 100 point show car either one will work just fine.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 10:17 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
13637 is a 'Bu.
In 69, both the SS and non SS Malibu are 136 cars

Last edited by Dean; Dec 11th, 19 at 9:15 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 10:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Is there 2 different switches or just 1? seems I read here somewhere you need the correct switch

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
So, my 13637 is an SS? Wow, that's great news... Why wasn't it marked as an SS from the factory?

Our You Tube Vids:

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Either wiper motor/pump combo will fit, so unless you're building a 100 point show car either one will work just fine.
I should add that since your SS396 optioned Chevelle Malibu is a (very) late production car, you should have the 2nd design Wiper Motor and 2nd design Washer Pump, to be "correct."

Our You Tube Vids:

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Is there 2 different switches or just 1? seems I read here somewhere you need the correct switch
There's 1 switch for the depressed/concealed wipers (this one fits both the 1st design concealed/depressed wiper AND the 2nd design concealed/depressed wiper) and a 2nd switch for the non-depressed/non-concealed wipers.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 7:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I was wondering about that, my Malibu had non concealed and I installed a new concealed motor and it doesn't work (not planning on being out in the rain but Fl you never know) but mounting was the same IIRC, just something for the OP to think about

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 9:47 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Rick if you have the original wiper transmission still in the car then concealed will have a little nub below where the wiper arm pushes on the drivers side. This accommodates the secondary arm used with concealed. I changed all my wiring with M&H on my 68 Malibu and it had two connectors for the two different dash switches used. As stated before the Gen 1 and 2 concealed motor can interchange but then again M&H knew I had a 68 Malibu when they made my harness if they are different but I am not sure. Call them.
shovelrick likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 6:24 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Scott

Thank you all for the great info. So are the electrical connectors themselves different? I don't think they are I just want to make sure. I am not trying to be correct with the proper one so I might just as well run 1st design because I can get the washer pump with it wouldn't you think?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 6:29 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink1 View Post
Thank you all for the great info. So are the electrical connectors themselves different? I don't think they are I just want to make sure. I am not trying to be correct with the proper one so I might just as well run 1st design because I can get the washer pump with it wouldn't you think?
Yes the connectors are the same. The only difference is where they plug into on the assembly. You should be able to get both designs with the pump. If you have a 69 I would go with the second myself. Maybe other 69 owners can confirm that for you.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in