• 1 Post By Blue 69
  • 1 Post By blackhawkMC

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

Batch color botch?

Hello,

I wanted to try eastwoods products specifically there Daytona yellow base and showroom clear. I purchased a gallon in June and sprayed the doors and hood off the car in Late September. I ordered an additional gallon in early November before i started the jambs, fenders, quarters, and trunk lid. Well, i mounted the doors and i have an obvious color/shade difference. Eastwood said batches can vary but they don't state that when purchasing. I figured it was a stock color and has been for a long time so i wasn't overly concerned. How could i ever do repairs with this product when there's batch variances?

Anyways. Whats the best approach here? They may give me more paint. I'm not sure if they will give me clear as well... Should i assemble the rest of the car and spray all at once?

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	609760  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 2:16 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Re: Batch color botch?

All paint colors have batch-to-batch variance, even the big brands. Typically you would buy more than you need and mix the entire batch together to get consistency.

Spray it all at once, though if it's not a metallic the car doesn't need to be assembled.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

1971 Monte Carlo
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 2:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Without getting into what you did wrong. Lets focus on the solution. "BOX" what you have, meaning mix the gallon from June and the gallon from November together(Of course i have no idea on how much you have left from each at this point) Paint the whole exterior again and hopefully you will have leftover for future repairs and the color will be dead on. Judgement call on your part if the jambs are to far off to leave as is.
Bottom line you need to buy all your paint at one time or "BOX" gallons purchased at different times to have a consistant color
NickeyChevelle likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 4:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

Im pretty disappointed. none the less i have to finish. I don't have any from June. I ran out on 2nd coat so i purchased another gallon. I have 1/2 gallon of that remaining. I guess i will have to throw that out and buy another gallon. Or 2. I guess it depends on how many coats. I know i over coated everything to get coverage to insure matching panels.

So, I've already wet sanded and buffed all pieces. My thoughts are to attach doors, hood, trunk lid, taillight extensions. Tape and mask everything off.

Next question is what do i hit the clear with? 1000 grit DA then go to 2 light coats of base then proceed to clear?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys i thought i would be putting on chrome at this point. Live and learn.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 4:52 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

How did Fisher body paint the bodies in one factory, ship them to GM, then GM paint the front end and get it to match?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 4:53 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Hang in there Chris, it is going to turn out great. The car gods are never happy until you are broke when you get done.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 5:39 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotducati View Post
Im pretty disappointed. none the less i have to finish. I don't have any from June. I ran out on 2nd coat so i purchased another gallon. I have 1/2 gallon of that remaining. I guess i will have to throw that out and buy another gallon. Or 2. I guess it depends on how many coats. I know i over coated everything to get coverage to insure matching panels.

So, I've already wet sanded and buffed all pieces. My thoughts are to attach doors, hood, trunk lid, taillight extensions. Tape and mask everything off.

Next question is what do i hit the clear with? 1000 grit DA then go to 2 light coats of base then proceed to clear?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys i thought i would be putting on chrome at this point. Live and learn.
Keep the remaining half gallon. Buy another gallon or two, and mix it all together.

1000 grit is too fine for base coat, it really needs 600 grit to adhere. If you accidentally sand through and didn't activate the original base coat using catalyst, you'll need to spot some primer over that area before laying down more paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
How did Fisher body paint the bodies in one factory, ship them to GM, then GM paint the front end and get it to match?
According to this both plants used paint from the same lot.
CRG Research Report - Camaro Assembly Process
Quote:
Paint came from DuPont in 500-gallon tote tanks, with paint mixed from the same lot distributed to both the Fisher and Chevrolet paint shops to minimize color match and gloss issues between the body and the front sheet metal.
Bart_Swisher likes this.

1971 Monte Carlo
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 8:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!

Quote:
Ever see the variance deck of say GM burgundy red from the 90's to late 2000's? PPG had something like 26 different color formulations for the same GM color.

Not Eastwoods problem nor the paint, you failed to order enough. Get another gallon or two, mix in with your existing paint. I'd sand with say 600 and certainly not on a da sander. Given how transparent yellow can be, you might need 3-4 or more coats to cover.

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 8:30 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Painting all at once would most probably eliminate the issue.

Freddy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 8:58 PM
Tech Team
Marco

Garage

I felt the need to chime in my 2 cents here.

Be careful with reducers. They can also alter the color of paint.

I completely agree with the idea of mixing multiple colors together in order to get a uniform color. Just go buy an empty gallon can and mix two different colors into that.

I would also reduce as recommended all at once too. If a color is under reduced it may come out a different shade. Straight color will most likely not match reduced color when dry. If you have a good lid for your container the paint will stay for a very long time, I'm talking years. At most the reducer will evaporate out.

For some words of support. If you are not an experienced painter it can take a couple of runs before you are happy with the results. Don't settle, push for what you want. I have lost a lot of money on materials because I could not get things to come out the way I want.

Now that I have a couple of paint jobs under my belt I can get them to run a bit smoother but still with piles of hick ups.

The guys you see on TV blasting out paint jobs like it's nothing is because they do this day in and day out. In the beginning it happened to them too
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 9:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Tighter QC!

Our You Tube Vids:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I've been shooting for decades and sometimes 3-4 coats is not enough for opaque coverage. Sometimes you can shut off the lights in the booth, hit a panel with a Sungun and see through to the primer. When shooting a car in pieces, full coverage must be achieved. Yellow does not cover for jack. It's problematic with yellow and other colors because the undercoat affects the topcoat hue and even blending is a pain. As Eric stated, the OP did not order enough paint. I purchase more than enough and give it to the customer or if I need it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

Ok. I realize I will inevitably have to repaint. A few things I thought of . I did add reducer on the 2nd gallon. It didn’t occur to me that IT could alter shade. In my thinking, with reduced paint I just have to apply more for proper coverage to achieve actual color. Is this not true? I sprayed about 5 med coats Overall because I was paranoid of not achieving intended color. Also the fact I was spraying separate pieces.

Plan of attack will be buy two more gallons, mix them both beforehand,spray 2 coats , spray clear.

2 coats should be more than Adequate correct? its not like I’m going over primer at this point.

The thought of remasking is literally sickening... thanks To everyone for the words of encouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in