Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jeremy

media blasting or a waste of money?

Hello all,
I have the body off the frame of my "66 and I will be replacing full floors, trunk panel, tail panel, quarters, roof skin, wheelhouses etc. Is it worth having the car blasted prior to the work or should I just clean the paint off at the spot welded joints and remove/replace the panels? I've been going back and forth on what to do. The blasting gives a nice clean surface to work with but is it necessary? Any advice would be appreciated thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Re: media blasting or a waste of money?

I would have it blasted. Have them concentrate on the panel areas you donít plan to replace. Sometimes you find surprises that re-calibrate your bodywork plans.
von, Kirk's67SS and 68-13427 like this.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 1:16 PM
Tech Team
Will

I know for me, the biggest thing about taking it to the blaster is the hassle of taking it to the blaster. If it all possible, that is the route that I would take. Most of my car was in repairable condition, but I wish that I had gone that route initially. I sanded mine, and then came back with naval jelly and steel wool on the panels to remove any surface rust. I am still going to blast mine in all of the confined spaces, fire wall, floor pan, etc. Blasting is the only efficient way in my opinion to get clean metal. The flat stuff can be cleaned up really well with the naval jelly/ steel wool, but seams terrify me because the acid will keep eating away at it if you don't get it out. The trouble in my opinion is finding someone who you trust not to destroy the flat panels in the process.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 2:03 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Find somebody that combines the media blast material with high pressure cold water. This will stop any chance of overheating your flat panels into warping and the metal will be fine.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 6:34 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Dustlessblasting.com
Freddy Mercado likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 7:19 PM
Tech Team

Brace it up and strip the old stuff off first, gets you to the meat of the repairs cleaner and to the finish line easier, faster, cleaner. Soda, acid dip or water blasting.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 7:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Find somebody that combines the media blast material with high pressure cold water. This will stop any chance of overheating your flat panels into warping and the metal will be fine.

Rick
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!

This is nothing but pure internet forum BS that somehow gets regurgitated time and time again!! The metal is NOT damaged due to heat, it is damaged due to millions upon millions of particles of sand acting like hammers and peening the surface, stretching the metal.

Excessive pressure, wrong angle and wrong grit play a factor in warping metal when blasting, heat is NOT even remotely in the same ballpark.

Water blasting would be one of the last methods I'd use, wet sand packed in tight areas, have fun getting that all out.

I would brace the car, cut out the quarters and roof skin and have the entire car blasted, then put into epoxy primer.

IMO, the best media would be two fold, first plastic beads to remove any paint, then glass beads for rust removal.
Dean, Pete 67, 77 cruiser and 5 others like this.

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 12:06 PM
Tech Team
Lou

[QUOTE=sevt_chevelle;11188830]WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!

This is nothing but pure internet forum BS that somehow gets regurgitated time and time again!! The metal is NOT damaged due to heat, it is damaged due to millions upon millions of particles of sand acting like hammers and peening the surface, stretching the metal.

It's both. More of what your saying than the heat , but the metal does heat up some due to friction and when that happens and the sand hits the metal it will stretch. I've been the route of the sand blasting and the only places I do it now is where it was impossible to do anything other than blasting. Small areas where rust was bad was the only places I did it in. Everything else was Phosphoric Acid if you can submerge it and good quality stripper and a ton of paper towels and rubber gloves. All the paint on the body was removed using stripper and paper towels and hand sanding. Lots cheaper and easier than the logistics and results of any kind of blasting. Remove the paint then submerge small pieces in phosphoric acid. Which you can find at HD for cheap. Wheel rims and thick metal is the only place I would use sand blasting on. If it's just surface rust you can wire brush it with different sizes of wire wheels, wear safety glasses) and then give it a few coats of red oxide primer or as is commonly known as Rusty Metal Primer. This stuff works great. They treated a rusty U-Boat with it in Europe. Also cheap and easy to apply. I did my frame that way and there's not a spot a rust that materialized in the two years it sat under my canopy with a tarp over it in the back yard with the summer rains so I'll swear by the stuff. Of course I'm going to catch flak but I'll argue my method till the cows come home.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 6:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I do the rust repair first ON THE FRAME. Then have the body blasted on the rotisserie. I have a guy that knows what heís doing and has never given back a warped panel on any of the cars Iíve had him do.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 8:47 PM
Tech Team

hi
either
1/ chemical bath complete car body
or 2/ soda or walnut blast. If car body is on a rotisserie do at home

Blasting leaves rubbish behind . May not be able to remove .

. There are many ways to strip a car chemically . Following is one single procedure .
1/ baking till all sealer paint falls off
2/ pressure wash
3/ alkaline strip tank
4/ pressure wash
5/ heat in oven to dry
6/ spray with charged/ magnatized weld thru primer
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 12:58 AM
Tech Team
Logan

Garage

As someone who was a media blaster and powdercoater for ~5 years for a living...

Soda blasting was a waste of material and time. If you're working on anything other than magnesium, there is better media out there.

I personally used 100 grit aluminum oxide. The material is recyclable and is broken down over the first run through the machine, so the grit wasn't as heavy as some might think. Read mention about wrong angle and this couldn't be more correct. Panels can warp from heat from direct blasting, it's really not complicated to just move around the car. Section the car off into squares and constantly move around. Just brings the heat along with it instead of focusing in one main area. I personally haven't had the chance to use "dustless blasting", but from what I could tell, it still uses media, so again if someone just kept 'er movin, they should be perfectly fine. Scariest item I had to blast was a Ferrari Belly Pan.. perfectly fine.

Attached a photo of my car before and after blasting.. Guess what area I didn't had any issues (hint: above the wheel well rust was a NICE surprise)

64 Chevelle SS
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 5:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Just like Eric said. Heat from blasting is not the cause of warping. Compressive forces warp panels. A few blasting shops around here with over 40 years in the blasting business know this. I've been in the collision and resto business for decades and have blasted panels without warping them. You can use sand at a lower pressure, correct finer media size, angle and distance to prevent warping. Very clear explanation in the first post, no reason to read any further. https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/san...yth-76938.html A friend of mine who has been blasting for decades was also in the dark about the heat myth until I explained it to him.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jeremy

Ive actually decided it's a waste of money in my scenario. I am replacing nearly every body panel and full floor/trunk as well so why prep what i'm removing? I have the car on a rotisserie now in my shop at home and I removed the floor and rockers today after bracing the body wow there are a lot of spot welds.......
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 2:47 PM
Tech Team
Jared

If you remove the rotted metal then have the bare shell sandblasted and epoxied, you will have metal that should last decades more.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 3:36 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

If I ever take on another rust bucket, it's going to be fully blasted. I want to start with totally clean and fully exposed metal to begin with.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

If a government spent $30bn to find better uses for carrots, there would be carrot appreciation societies, carrot conventions, 400 patents on carrot-based wing-nuts, tents, and textiles, and 4000 peer-reviewed references on worrying declines in carrot hue, nutrients, fertility and genetic diversity, not to mention gender inequality in dietary carrot content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in