• 1 Post By Frank69
  • 2 Post By lucifershammer
  • 1 Post By Grock-co

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 5:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Car covers

I知 guessing this is the most appropriate section to ask a question about car covers.

I知 looking to purchase a car cover to protect my paint while parked in my garage. I知 Looking for something soft with padding as well as a little water resistant ability, in case I知 caught outside and it starts to rain.

The cover will be utilized primarily indoors.

Suggestions?

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 7:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Car covers

An outdoor, water resistant cover is NOT the way to go indoors. If it keeps moisture from going down (penetrating the cover) it will not let moisture out and the moisture will be trapped under the cover.

BTDT. The result is rust.

Worse, if you used a newer water based paint, it is possible for the moisture to get under the paint and lift it, resulting in blisters!

What you want is a dust cover and to use a great deal of care around the stored Chevelle (i.e. Don't store junk on top of the vehicle!). For those times when you get caught in the rain and need to keep water at bay, InLine Tube sells a cover that resembles a shower cap. This cover stores in the trunk in a small pouch. It's inexpensive enough to be a use and recycle item.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 7:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Bruce,
Thanks for posting. What you wrote makes sense. I was doing some research on the subject and I found California Covers. They sell several different types. Their Stormweave has 4 layers and is both water resistant and breathable. It痴 rated as both indoor and all weather protection.
Their Dustop is listed as a 3 layer cover that is an indoor cover.

For the most part, my vehicle will be in a one vehicle garage but there will be times when It is in a garage with other vehicles. My uncovered vehicle has picked up dings in the primer by accidental bumps. That can稚 happen when she痴 painted.

Has anyone had any experience with either California cover?

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 8:18 PM
Tech Team

Yep, California Car Covers is the best. I have had many over the years and have one for every car. I normally get the Noah covers, but the Stormweave is good too. I had the Plushweave on my Porsche (in the garage) for several years when I was working overseas. No issues at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kopfjaeger likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 8:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I got the Covercraft Dustop cover from the-cover-store.com for my '72.

Indoor only, and it's been great. Nice and soft, keeps my car very clean and breathes nicely.
Kopfjaeger and 427L88 like this.

1972 Chevelle, MJ 467, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 11:02 PM
Tech Team
Greg

I use a California Cover, the outdoor rated one, use it inside exclusively. It’s a little heavier and offers some bump protection. I my option if it’s rate to last outside and is used indoors it should last for a very long time.
427L88 likes this.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 6:21 AM
Team Member
Gene

My "noah" ( Dupont fabric) cover was a Cali cover. Being a Noah it can be used EITHER in or out as it breathes. I recently picked up an indoor cover from Covercraft on sale for $70. The old noah is now impregnated with hydraulic oil ( and I got a massive shot in the face - now I know what she feels like ! ) and is showing its 20yr age. As I recall it was more like $300. And I needed an in/out at the time.

PS breathing or not, our garage is part of the basement. Consequently, I also keep a "car condom" on the car to keep the fine dust from first floor from getting through the breathable, as it will. If the noah cant clean up, I'll likely replace it, even though the $70 "universal" from CC works fine inside.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in