Team Chevelle banner

Compressor Choice for Painting whole car.

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  nashville beth 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to try my luck at painting with HVLP. My last effort at painting was an 15 tears ago with a Binks Model 7 suction cup gun with a 3Hp,22 gallon compressor. I'm looking at getting a DeVibliss Finishline 4 gun, which requires 13CFM@23 PSI. I'm trying to keep the compressor under $1K, and see an Industrial Air 80 gallon single stage on Amazon, which will do 14CFM@90,16.1CFM@40 PSI or a Harbor Freight 60 Gallon 2 stage, which will do 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI, 16.4 CFM @ 40 PSI. I'm not seeing an 80 gallon, 2 stage in my budget. So for painting a whole car at once, is the 80 gallon more important than the # of stages? The Harbor Freight compressor is $150 cheaper, and seems to have great reviews, with the pump being from Italy, tank from USA, and motor from either USA or Mexico. Any opinions or lessons learned?

#4 ·
Don't waste your money on a single stage. 2 stage is much drier and pumps to a higher pressure which equates to more volume in the same size tank. I have a 5hp, 2 stage, 80 gallon. If you do any sanding or sand blasting, you will wish you bought a bigger compressor. 5hp, 60-80 gallon is a minimum for anyone that is going to use it for more than filling tires or a nail gun. The 5hp models are not even a true 5hp. It is really a 3hp motor that spins faster. Look at the tag on the motor. It will read 'special', not 5hp. A true 5hp requires 3 phase power.

#7 ·
#15 ·
The ones that I would question are the 5hp rated motors that only show enough amps for 4hp or something like that.

#17 ·
I invested in a Champion compressor 4 years ago,it is 7 1/2 hp that runs on 230 volt single phase and with a 80 gal.tank. This replaced my old 5 hp model. Even the 7 1/2 hp, running a air grinder for instance, will run continues.Air tools require lots of cfm. Get as large of a compressor you can run with your available electrical supply. Good luck,Tom..

#19 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with a two stage, not sure if it will be the HF one or not. If it were 80 gallon, I would.
I know that there are other guns that require less CFM (smaller compressor), but I don't want to be limited on upgrading a gun over not being able to supply enough air for it.

#20 ·
If you are mechanically inclined in the slightest, I would keep an eye out for an old industrial unit on Facebook or Craigslist. I was given the old worn out compressor from my dad’s farm that he replaced with a rebuilt champion that my grandfather gave him. The one he gave me turned out to be a Quincy model 310 2 stage originally built in late40’s/early50’s. I have about 500 bucks in it’s rebuild which includes some machine shop that I don’t think would be normal. Since then, I have bought one other model 310 compressor( 25 bucks), a model 240 compressor and tank (85 bucks), and a mint mid 80’s model 240 compressor, tank, and5hp single phase electric motor and a spare nos model 240 compressor (225 bucks). A rebuild kit is around 200 bucks on eBay. My point is, there are deals on older compressors, and they are pretty easy to rebuild. I am 37, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I could leave one of these old hunks of iron to my grandkids or great grand kids. The Quincies are rated for 24/7 service.

I would look for a model 240, 325, or 340. They all can be run with 5hp single phase. You adjust the compressor speed with the pulley. You will be around 15-20 cfm depending on brand and model with a true 5hp compressor. I am going to end up running one of my 240’s on electricity and one with a gas engine to supplement when I blast stuff

#23 ·
#22 ·
This is the air compressor I currently own.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475

With that said. I would not get all caught up in much else other than CFMs and quality.

I personally do not like HF stuff too much because I do not trust the quality. I use my compressor a lot so I did a lot of research and wanted to make sure it was reliable and moved enough air. I wanted an air compressor I knew I could keep for a long time. In my position it doesn't matter if it is $500 or $1500 it needs to be a good product. With that said in the end you go with what you are most comfortable with.

I painted using a small dewalt 30 gallon compressor once, It worked out just fine. I just had to paint a little slower :)

Air drying comes from filtration. So, I have a moisture capture on my air compressor now. Then when I paint I use an inline filter like these at the gun:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N73LGVD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07N73LGVD&pd_rd_w=1YACj&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=sQ0cI&pf_rd_r=BQE9TNC9S0V31Z1P12SZ&pd_rd_r=b79bbc0c-f4f7-4fe7-b836-e2081dce36c2&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySUxFVktSNkxTTlRSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTg5NDI4MzNUSTI2MkM4V1RYVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQ3OTUyM00yNExWM1kwOVlUUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I use these desiccant filters at the beginning of the line or in the middle. Depending on what I am doing.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-DD1008-2-Desiccant-Filter/dp/B0014DEV6Q/ref=sr_1_32?keywords=water+filter+for+paint+gun&qid=1574038070&s=automotive&sr=1-32

I refill those filters with these:

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-7886-Replacement-Desiccant/dp/B000OUXA2Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3NMUSE8VRTBXE&keywords=desicant+beads&qid=1574038218&s=automotive&sprefix=desicant%2Cautomotive%2C160&sr=1-2

I also have this filter/regulator on my compressor though I am not thrilled with it:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_41031_41031

I will admit that most of the painting I have done involves motorcycles.

I hope this is helpful.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.