Compressor Choice for Painting whole car. - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 1:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Compressor Choice for Painting whole car.

I'm getting ready to try my luck at painting with HVLP. My last effort at painting was an 15 tears ago with a Binks Model 7 suction cup gun with a 3Hp,22 gallon compressor. I'm looking at getting a DeVibliss Finishline 4 gun, which requires [email protected] PSI. I'm trying to keep the compressor under $1K, and see an Industrial Air 80 gallon single stage on Amazon, which will do [email protected],[email protected] PSI or a Harbor Freight 60 Gallon 2 stage, which will do 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI, 16.4 CFM @ 40 PSI. I'm not seeing an 80 gallon, 2 stage in my budget. So for painting a whole car at once, is the 80 gallon more important than the # of stages? The Harbor Freight compressor is $150 cheaper, and seems to have great reviews, with the pump being from Italy, tank from USA, and motor from either USA or Mexico. Any opinions or lessons learned?

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 4:54 PM
Tech Team

Re: Compressor Choice for Painting whole car.

I've painted several cars with a single stage 60 gallon Kobalt compressor. It will keep up with a HVLP gun with no problem.
I'm sure some will have other opinions. Biggest concern is keeping the air dry as I'm sure you know.
Shaun
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 6:09 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

Check out a TSC. They sell an Ingersoll Rand, 80 gal, 2 stage, 5hp, usually [email protected] handle what your doing, and will handle anything you do in the future as well. Plus, it's local, so no need to ship and deal with delivery and all that involves.
Freddy Mercado and 697ibew like this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 7:56 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Don't waste your money on a single stage. 2 stage is much drier and pumps to a higher pressure which equates to more volume in the same size tank. I have a 5hp, 2 stage, 80 gallon. If you do any sanding or sand blasting, you will wish you bought a bigger compressor. 5hp, 60-80 gallon is a minimum for anyone that is going to use it for more than filling tires or a nail gun. The 5hp models are not even a true 5hp. It is really a 3hp motor that spins faster. Look at the tag on the motor. It will read 'special', not 5hp. A true 5hp requires 3 phase power.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 8:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
Don't waste your money on a single stage. 2 stage is much drier and pumps to a higher pressure which equates to more volume in the same size tank. I have a 5hp, 2 stage, 80 gallon. If you do any sanding or sand blasting, you will wish you bought a bigger compressor. 5hp, 60-80 gallon is a minimum for anyone that is going to use it for more than filling tires or a nail gun. The 5hp models are not even a true 5hp. It is really a 3hp motor that spins faster. Look at the tag on the motor. It will read 'special', not 5hp. A true 5hp requires 3 phase power.
Wrong
sstom66 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 9:00 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

I'm on my 3rd compressor and all I can say is it's never big enough, buy something 220 volt and an 80 gallon or more tank. Gas powered is better but thats a whole different price range.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 9:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

That Harbor Freight 2 stage compressor gets great reviews.

It's what I would get :

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-6...sor-93274.html

But I would look on Facebook Marketplace for a good used one before committing. There are a lot better deals on there than on Craigslist

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 9:28 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Spend some money on good hoses that flow plenty of air to preclude pressure drop at the gun.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:46 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Wrong
Which part is wrong? The 3 phase preference comment? Do you own a 5hp residential compressor?
https://www.grainger.com/search?sear...mpressor+motor
^Look at the different rpms of a residential vs. commercial compressor 5hp motor^

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...1,2,3,4,6,8,10
^Look at the 'SPL' hp rating on this tag^

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 10:38 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Which part is wrong? The 3 phase preference comment? Do you own a 5hp residential compressor?
https://www.grainger.com/search?sear...mpressor+motor
^Look at the different rpms of a residential vs. commercial compressor 5hp motor^

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...1,2,3,4,6,8,10
^Look at the 'SPL' hp rating on this tag^
Well for one thing a 3hp motor can not be made into a 5hp motor by speeding it up.
Secondly, many 5hp motors are 240 volt single phase.
Yes I do own a 5hp single phase air compressor.
https://www.grainger.com/product/1AT...g!470549069254!
sstom66 likes this.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 10:54 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Well for one thing a 3hp motor can not be made into a 5hp motor by speeding it up.
Secondly, many 5hp motors are 240 volt single phase.
Yes I do own a 5hp single phase air compressor.
https://www.grainger.com/product/1AT...g!470549069254!
That is exactly my point. The motor is not labeled 5hp from the manufacturer. The 5hp sticker is put on the compressor. A true 5hp motor is physically bigger and costs twice as much as the double speed motors that they use on these cheaper compressors.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 11:15 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
That is exactly my point. The motor is not labeled 5hp from the manufacturer. The 5hp sticker is put on the compressor. A true 5hp motor is physically bigger and costs twice as much as the double speed motors that they use on these cheaper compressors.
Again, there are many 5hp motors that are single phase motors even if there are some like you said on cheaper air compressors.
SO, not all 5hp motors are three phase like you said.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=10+hp+ele...l_8i8uy9dlyj_b

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 11:23 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Again, there are many 5hp motors that are single phase motors even if there are some like you said on cheaper air compressors.
SO, not all 5hp motors are three phase like you said.
You are right. They do make 5hp single phase motors. I am wrong about that. My point was that you will not get a true 5hp motor on a compressor for $1000.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 11:58 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
You are right. They do make 5hp single phase motors. I am wrong about that. My point was that you will not get a true 5hp motor on a compressor for $1000.
Good advice, although the 60 gallon-5hp one at Harbor Freight is not bad for a non commercial home shop and does say 5hp on the motor tag, except that it's loud and sounds like a piece of junk compared to the 10 hp three phase one that I sold because my phase converter burned up. (I could kick myself now for not keeping it and replacing the motor with a single phase motor)

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-93274.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MotorTag.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	607982  

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 1:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

The ones that I would question are the 5hp rated motors that only show enough amps for 4hp or something like that.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in