Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bart_Swisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 19, 2:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

2K problems - gun vs product?

Having problems with spraying 2K. I'm using Upol 2253 "system 20" with 2039 Standard hardener. I've sprayed 3 times and always gotten rough, dry texture. I've mixed 4:1 and reduced 10+% and sprayed at 29 psi trigger pulled but have raised and lowered pressure without improvement. From the beginning it doesn't seem to atomize particularly well but only gets worse. It doesn't look very wet going on. As you get near the end of the supply it sputters and seems like the gun is getting gummed up. I've even sprayed a piece of paper near to end just to make sure paint was coming out and the pattern looked OK. This doesn't seem normal. I'm using a new TCP global gun with 1.8 tip. I've heard good things about this gun, but never used it with another product so not sure if it's the gun. It just seems like the product is kicking over too fast. I'm only mixing up 600 ml at a time. By the time I'm done and put thinner in the gun to clean, I pull the trigger (air disconnected) and it takes a few seconds for paint to start coming out. It sands really nice but there is so much texture that you end up working more just to clean that up.

Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong? Temperature was nice about 70 degrees.

Gonna try another product next time. Any recommendations for a similarly priced (hopefully hundred or less) gallon kit available for use in Kalifornia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 19, 3:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Re: 2K problems - gun vs product?

You may be a bit small on the tip, try 2.0 or larger for primer generally.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 19, 10:30 AM
Tech Team
John

Garage

I'd make sure the gun is good and clean. That there isn't an orifice plugged or something like a burr or chunk of something in the air/fluid paths. Last resort, try a different gun, harbor freight if nothing else. That'll tell you if it's something with your gun, or with the product your spraying. Check that your reducer temp is what it needs to be. If you wanna try a new product, check out Tamco 5311 or 5310. It is one of the best primers I've ever found. They have a Facebook page, Tamco 411, and the main lady, named Tammy, has made a video about some of their products. The primers are one of the ones she made a video about. So scroll down a ways, it was a couple weeks ago that she did the primer video. Really good stuff, good customer service, and good prices for the quality it is. Good luck. (I added the FB link, not sure if it'll work, but give it a try.)

https://tamcopaint.com/collections/p...cts/dtm-primer

https://www.facebook.com/tamatha.mil...4590538813326/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 2:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Good idea on the guns. I thought a 1.8 was acceptable for 2K high build primer. One thing that attracted me to the TCP global gun is that different sized needle kits are pretty cheap. I forgot that I bought a HF purple gun a couple years ago and never used it. Maybe give it a whirl with the Upol thinned 10% or more and see how it sprays.

Tamco seems like a good price as long as the shipping doesn't kill the deal. Have to see what they charge.

Anyone use the SPI 2Ks? The regular is pretty well priced $110 for gallon kit. The "High build" goes up and the "Turbo" even more. Anyone use these. I like free shipping.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Anyone use the SPI 2Ks? The regular is pretty well priced $110 for gallon kit. The "High build" goes up and the "Turbo" even more. Anyone use these. I like free shipping.
Yes, the SPI 2k is great stuff, you really don't need the high build. If a couple coats of 2K won't take care of it, break out the body hammer or filler. I spray the SPI 2K with a 1.8 and it lays down nice and thick but smooth. I am not a fan of the sprayable filler type primers. Between SPI epoxy and 2K, I don't find that i need anything else. I am finishing my Chevelle right now and it has 100% SPI products on it. Everything they make works great for me. Just my $.02
davewho1 likes this.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.

Last edited by davewho1; Oct 31st, 19 at 3:07 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 12:38 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

I've read lots of good things about SPI products, but have never used it myself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 2:10 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Good idea on the guns. I thought a 1.8 was acceptable for 2K high build primer. One thing that attracted me to the TCP global gun is that different sized needle kits are pretty cheap. I forgot that I bought a HF purple gun a couple years ago and never used it. Maybe give it a whirl with the Upol thinned 10% or more and see how it sprays.

Tamco seems like a good price as long as the shipping doesn't kill the deal. Have to see what they charge.

According to the product sheet a 1.8 is fine for mixing 4:1:1, but that also depends on conditions like humidity and temperature. Here's the product sheet for reference:
https://www.u-pol.com/files/2395/up2251-TDS-EN

1971 Monte Carlo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in