Old procedure for repair of dent in the side and wheel well area - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 6:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Old procedure for repair of dent in the side and wheel well area

I was looking at a used chevelle and there was kind of a repair to the rear quarter at the top of the wheel well area. At first I thought rust; but no rust in any of the usual areas except for bottom of trunk, probably due to water.

In the right rear quarter outer wheelhouse the top outside had been cut out and two odd patches braised in with a total dimension about 12” wide and 6” high. Otherwise inner and outer wheelhouses untouched with 50 year old undercoating still attached as on day one.

When checking the outside of the quarter in this area with a light magnet about 15” by 1 1/2” high just above the molding it would not stick. Maybe to light a magnet or thick bondo. All the other areas like lower rear and front just to the rear, etc held the magnet. Looked good from trunk; but couldn’t see down far enough. This would be a common rust area. Other side perfect as well as drop offs and lower rear tail panel. AZ car.

Was it common when fixing a dent/ damage to this area to cut out the wheelhouse on the inside to pound out and repair the damage that way? That’s my guess; but could be rust. Would like to know what I am getting into should I buy the car? Thank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Old procedure for repair of dent in the side and wheel well area

That is possible so they could hammer and dolly outside of 1/4 .

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 11:46 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Dent repair has always been to remove the bent in the opposite direction it went in, by what ever means necessary.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 1:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

I say it is a red flag either way.
whether a dent repair or rust repair.
Sounds like work was done to the wheel lip area and
somebody wanted to see the back side for what ever reason.

I remember brazing a couple small patches in back in the day before affordable
mig welders were accessible. A lot of wavy metal and filler was my result.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 1:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Most likely rust repair

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Most likely rust yes; but why cut a hole in the outer wheelhouse and leave its patch paint and undercoat free so Its obvious someone was inside there? Can't find evidence of rust anywhere, not on lower rear quarters, lower front rear quarters, not rocker pinch-weld area, not on floor, not behind the kick panels, not on the lower rear of the front fenders, not on the pinch-weld of the inner door & door skin, not up in the front truck cross-member, not anywhere along where the truck floor is spot welded to the inner wheelhouse, not on the rear truck floor brace. Only evidence I find is the bottom area of the truck pan (about a 120" diameter circle in the center.

Assuming rust, how big a repair and repair cost is it going to be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in