Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 8:25 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

Send a message via Skype™ to HERodriguezJr
Installing Full Trunk Floor - 69 Chevelle

Hey guys and gals. I had a question about installing a FULL trunk floor in a 69 Chevelle. As most people, I am on a budget. I am not able to afford a rotisserie at the moment. So, I am doing a frame on restoration. With that said, I was able to purchase a full trunk floor with the included braces.. Goodmark # GMK403272569S. Has anyone installed one of these by removing one or both quarters, and cutting out the floor? Is this possible to install WITH THE CAR ON THE FRAME? Maybe by taking out the rear tail panel? Can I stick it in that way? Also, is bracing required? 69 Chevelle 2 door. (not convertible).

Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMK-4032-725-69S_WB_xl.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	605022  

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
10 Bolt 8.2 Rear (soon to be 12 bolt)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 8:46 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Re: Installing Full Trunk Floor - 69 Chevelle

I did it on my convertible. You definitely want to do it on the frame!
I made some trunk drop off extensions when my car was on the rotisserie and I tried to put them on the car after i put the body back on the frame and they did not fit!
I think that you can do it with the quarters on. I had to remove the panel that the back seat top rests against because there are a row of welds at the bottom where the trunk floor and the floor panel come together.
Save all of the old sheet metal until you are absolutely done. They come in handy if you need to measure something or look at how they used to be together.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Plan, plan, plan. Measure everything. There are plenty of videos out there on how to install a full floor.

and GOOD LUCK.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 8:59 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

Thank you, @danbo and @NickeyChevelle . Would any of you care to share which videos you found on this? I only found on on OPGI's page. And of course, they make it look easy. Haha.. not saying this is easy work, but I am a DIY'er in my one car garage at home, on a budget. So, any videos would help.

Thanks

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERodriguezJr View Post
any videos would help.
I did a Google Search for "Chevelle how to trunk floor" and then selected "VIDEOS" on the search bar.

Of course all the GM A-Bodies have the same basic trunk floor design, so you can substitute "GTO," etc. For "Chevelle."

I think the key to a massive project such as this is to remove as little existing sheet metal as possible to get the floor installed. In other words cut only as small a section of the quarter panel as you absolutly have to, in order to maintain rigidity and panel alignment. Don't go wacking off both quarters, tail cove, hinge panel, etc. Just do as little as possible to get the trunk floor in and lined up. Once you have the trunk floor installed, you can "go back" and remove and replace a quarter panel, etc., but always one panel section at a time in order to maintain alignment.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NickeyChevelle; Oct 8th, 19 at 11:07 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 10:51 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Did you see this one?

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Interesting video, but Hector wants to leave the body on the frame while he installs the trunk floor pan...

Our You Tube Vids:

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Hector, depending on how the new floor was stored, the angle of the bend at the shelf may be distorted. When I did the trunk floor on my 67 I couldn't get the floor forward enough to match up with the inner wheel wells. A couple ratchet straps from the front floorboards were needed to pull it into place. Lots of clamps and zip screws are your friends on this job. Don't weld anything until you're happy with the fit everywhere.
NickeyChevelle and BTK like this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 2:34 PM
Tech Team

as the 1/4 panels turn in just below the trunk floor with body on the frame it's not gonna happen.when i did my 66 i had to jack the body up about 3 inches to slide the trunk floor in and beings i needed lower patch panels and the drop offs it went right in.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 3:10 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
I did a Google Search for "Chevelle how to trunk floor" and then selected "VIDEOS" on the search bar.

Of course all the GM A-Bodies have the same basic trunk floor design, so you can substitute "GTO," etc. For "Chevelle."

I think the key to a massive project such as this is to remove as little existing sheet metal as possible to get the floor installed. In other words cut only as small a section of the quarter panel as you absolutly have to, in order to maintain rigidity and panel alignment. Don't go wacking off both quarters, tail cove, hinge panel, etc. Just do as little as possible to get the trunk floor in and lined up. Once you have the trunk floor installed, you can "go back" and remove and replace a quarter panel, etc., but always one panel section at a time in order to maintain alignment.
Thanks, @NickeyChevelle . I just watched some of your videos also. Great work. Yes, I agree.. the less I remove, the better. Did you brace the rear of your car?I might cut only the bottom parts of the 1/4's, then work my way up. My inner and outer wheelhouses, and trunk drop off's need to be replaced. Basically, the WHOLE rear of the car. I have all of the Goodmark sheetmetal already. It's just a matter of time at this point.

Thanks

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 8:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

You absolutely need to do this job on the frame. I just cut the whole back end off, but you can do it without removing the quarters. The drop offs will be wasted as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	605094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5602.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	605096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5614.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	605098  
Bart_Swisher likes this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERodriguezJr View Post
Did you brace the rear of your car?
No bracing was used. The guys at the body shop left the area around the trunk opening and the tail cove as bracing. They only did a partial (1/3) replacement of the trunk pan (plus the quarters).

Our You Tube Vids:

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 12:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

The best way to get alot of those spot welds apart is to cut close to the wheel wells and tail panel as possible, then using flat nose pliers or needle nose, slowly fatigue the welds by back and forth wiggling of the trunk piece strips. Sometime they will roll up like old sardine cans.
The hardest part is the bottom seat divider, it is sandwiched in there.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 8:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Air chisel works way better. Iíve had the whole back end gone in 20 minutes.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Air chisel works way better. Iíve had the whole back end gone in 20 minutes.
I agree except when trying to save the connecting lip or panel for reuse or fitment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in