Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

2Likes
  • 2 Post By toofastforyou

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 19, 7:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Fender Extension Studs

The studs on my extensions have gotten pretty misshapen over the years to the point in which they can't grip tight onto the fender anymore, which is pretty annoying now. These kind of studs use from what I was able to find is called "thread-cutting nuts", which was just a thin nut that cuts the stud to form a thread. Anyway, I was thinking about cutting those studs off and replacing with a new option, but I just wanted to hear some opinions first. The part that worries me is that the extensions are a softer pot metal, so are these durable enough to drill and tap? I don't want to crack them. If they won't really crack, I can just use a simple bolt. However, I was also thinking in order to reduce the chances of it cracking over time of being removed and installed, maybe I can get a double-sided bolt stud to insert on the extension side as a permanent stud, and then just get a speed nut to secure it to the fender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 19, 7:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I actually just threaded the posts you mentioned and installed lock nuts with washers.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 19, 8:43 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: Fender Extension Studs

I assume this would be similar to the rear extension on a 66. I repaired a couple broken studs by cutting them flush and then drilling and tapping. The amount of caution needed to stay centered on the boss when drilling and even more caution when tapping these fragile parts is extreme. this was all done by hand.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/11035860-post76.html

66 CHEVELLE

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 19, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Years ago, one of the studs which hold the rear taillight extensions on my '69 Malibu broke. I drilled a hole in it's place, screwed in a piece of 1/4" threaded rod secured with some "lock-tite" and this made a new stud onto which I could now use a regular 1/4" nut. Problem solved.

Claude.
sstom66 and lkmarsh like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 11:01 AM
Team Member
Lyle

Working on a 71 El Camino with front extensions that were wood screwed to the fender. Half the
original studs were stripped or broken. Cut them all flush and drilled and tapped for valve cover studs.
Epoxied them in and problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in