14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah
How bad of an idea is this?

Let me start this off by saying I have little to no experience with body work, so if I should hard pass here just say so and I won't be hurt

I have a 70 SS that is gold with black stripes, and a vinyl top. At some point in time (probably years from now) I want to have the car painted. At that time, the vinyl top has to go. I know some people love them, it's just not my style.

I've kicked around the idea of having the car wrapped in the color that I'm considering, just to make sure I'm 100% ready and willing to invest in a nice paint job that color when the time comes. How bad of an idea would it be to remove the vinyl top, and put some primer there before wrapping so that the top could be wrapped as well? I do realize that when the vinyl comes off, rust will probably show up underneath. Not sure what if anything can be done as a temporary solution there either until I'm really ready for the body and paint work.

Never stop learning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 10:43 AM
Tech Team
Jared

Re: How bad of an idea is this?

Rip it off and if seal any metal with epoxy. It will be protected till you can get to the body work. There might even be paint underneath which could be a good foundation but I'm not sure since ive never removed one before.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The car wrap can be almost expensive as paint.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
I was thinking a wrap would be in the 1.5-2k range? The paint I'd expect to be 8-10k. Maybe I'm off on both?

Never stop learning!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:38 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

I've never wrapped a car so I might not be the most qualified to answer. But let's assume worst case for a minute, and there is a ton of rust (including some holes) in your roof after you remove your vinyl top. Wouldn't you have to either bondo over it or remove & replace any bad sheet metal? And if you were thinking about covering it up with bondo, would you paint over that later or would you plan on doing proper rust repair before you paint? To put it another way, why do the job twice, and if you're going to do it at all, why not just do it right, and if you're going to do it right, why even bother wrapping it in the first place?

That's my long answer. My short answer is if you want to wrap it that bad, go ahead and wrap it, but leave the vinyl top alone if you do.
Kirk's67SS and 68-13427 like this.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage

Yes, that was something I thought of was rust popping up after the vinyl is removed. Probably some type of temporary bondo fix.

I really want to wrap the car in the color (close to it) I plan to paint it just to make 100% sure I like it. More of a "try it before you buy it" type of thing. Keep it in the wrap for a year or so and then if I like it (and funding allows) pay for the real paint work.

Never stop learning!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 2:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Matt, not intending to bust your bubble, but when you pull the vinyl off, there's a good chance the rust issue will require more than patching and primer. You may be looking at the need for a new roof skin. I ran into this issue with my 67. Vinyl tops hide a multitude of problems.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 3:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage

Certainly no bubble busted here. This is the kind of feedback I was expecting so it's all good. Just want to know what I might be in for. One more reason to ditch the vinyl top! One day I'll get the ambition to peel it off just to see what's under there.

Never stop learning!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 4:03 PM

Or just get it off the car to see what is underneath if anything. Better to know now than waiting a few years letting something fester that long..
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 4:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
This!! A good wrap costs thousands...and it looks like, well wrap.

Save for paint. Get it straight, no reason after that you cant get something decent for under 5k.
Wrap will never look like paint....imo it cheapens the car. Some will never come off either.

Tried removing some 3m stuff many yrs ago off a Humvee..guarnateed right?
Noone could remove it, insurance company wound up totaling it took an angle grinder to do it well goodbye sheetmetal.
Your choice.

Please dont paint your wheels black either lol

Keep us posted
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 4:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss4spd View Post
Or just get it off the car to see what is underneath if anything. Better to know now than waiting a few years letting something fester that long..
Ya know, there is a part of me that wants to do that immediately. Just out of pure curiosity. I best be ready to fix whatever is under there though. I won't be driving it until it is. Should it be worst case that is alot of time and/or money to get just that piece fixed I'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
no reason after that you cant get something decent for under 5k.
This is cheaper than I had thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Tried removing some 3m stuff many yrs ago off a Humvee..guarnateed right?
Noone could remove it, insurance company wound up totaling it took an angle grinder to do it well goodbye sheetmetal.
Your choice.

Please dont paint your wheels black either lol

Keep us posted
OUCH! I've never heard of anyone having that much of an issue getting one off. And no black wheels for this guy. I couldn't do that to my car!

Never stop learning!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 6:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Every Chevelle that I owned had a vinyl top and when there is rust on your sheetmetal under the vinyl top you can see it.It gets all lumpy and bumpy pointing right to where the rust spots are located.What I'm getting at is if there is rust under your top you'll know it,so maybe your sheet metal isn't rusted underneath the vinyl top ? Rust doesn't hide well,it shows up right away and let's you know about it especially if it's rusted through. At least that's been my experience with rusted vinyl top cars.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 6:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

5k for a paint job? Hell the materials will probably be 3k so that body better be damn nice so the labor doesn’t eat up the rest of your 5k

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 9:13 PM
Tech Team

i see your in omaha.yank that top off now.winters coming on and your not gonna be driving it anyway.we pulled the vinyl off a 70ss back in the late 80's that actually looked pretty good,it had more rust holes in the sail panels my buddy just decided to part the car out.man i wish i had it nowadays.but back then they were dime a dozen.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 9:40 PM
Tech Team
Drew

Show us this beast!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in