• 1 Post By Bart_Swisher
  • 1 Post By 71350SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

Painting Body

Hi,

Okay, I finally decided to ask this question since I can not find it in any of the three books I have on how to paint your muscle car.

I have a 20 ounce container on my HVLP gun. I know how much I can paint using 20 ounces of paint and it's not a complete car body. Body excludes the trunk, hood, doors and fenders. I can probably get a coat of paint on everything else with 20 ounces but not the car body.

So here's my question. If I'm painting the base coat , what happens when I run out of paint and I'm 1/3 of the way through ? Do I prepare 2 other 20 ounce bottles of pre made paint so I can pour them directly into the cup, or do I have to make the paint up as I go and over spray the previous coat , which might need some buffing later to make uniform. This would also apply to the clear coat. I don't think a larger cup would be big enough to completely paint the body either. Nothing in the books about it.

Thanks for any help,

Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 11:30 PM
Tech Team
Jared

Re: Painting Body

I'm not a professional painter but have done a little bit of painting at home...
I think there are a lot of factors that are in play so it all depends on the paint you are using. (Pot life, flash times etc)
I think most basecoats have a long pot life so I think it would be best to mix enough to do all your coats and just keep filling up your gun. Make sure you have enough paint in your gun to do the panel you're working on so you dont run out in the middle of the panel.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
1943MB likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazychevelle67 View Post
I'm not a professional painter but have done a little bit of painting at home...
I think there are a lot of factors that are in play so it all depends on the paint you are using. (Pot life, flash times etc)
I think most basecoats have a long pot life so I think it would be best to mix enough to do all your coats and just keep filling up your gun. Make sure you have enough paint in your gun to do the panel you're working on so you dont run out in the middle of the panel.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Hi,

Thanks , sounds about right to me. I'll keep the lids on the jars. I've noticed it lasts when not exposed to the atmosphere. I like what you said about doing each panel , such as roof, quarter panel , using enough paint so the overlap is at the transition point or panel line.

Lou

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

Unless your basecoat is catalyzed, you can mix enough to do the entire car before starting to spray.
1943MB likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Unless your basecoat is catalyzed, you can mix enough to do the entire car before starting to spray.

Thanks Pete.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 3:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

Depending on the basecoat/color, you can either mix as you go or mix more than you think you need. With base you are not spraying heavy or overly wet so you should be able to get around the whole exterior with a single full cup. If spraying a metallic, I would mix enough for a full coat all at once and stir often. Spraying a solid color basecoat, you can mix as you go without any issues at all. Just my $.02 but i NEVER spray base without catalyst unless I am using base to do airbrush work.
1943MB likes this.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 5:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I'm not a pro painter but I once saw a well known painter (Kevin Tetz) on TV mix all his basecoat's together so they would all have the same consistency.He had a gallon and two quarts of basecoat and he mixed them all together.Then he took what he needed to fill his guns cup and started spraying.
So if you had 2 quarts of basecoat you should mix the 2 together and then fill your cup to spray.That way all your paint will match.IDK if that is required with clear coat.Also maybe with good quality paint that ain't needed.
He has a line of paintucation video's that help teach people to paint their cars.
1943MB likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in