67 AMD Front fenders - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 4:25 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

67 AMD Front fenders

I just received my two new AMD front fenders for my 67 project.

I have not mounted them only taken the fenders out of the cardboard.

Looking at the left and right fenders it looks like there is an extra body line between the lower body line and the bottom of the fender.

After searching around the forums for a while I didn't see anyone with this particular issue so I thought I would post to see if anyone has seen this before.

It can obviously be fixed but if anyone would like to share how they fixed it that would be appreciated,

Here are some pictures but it's really kind of difficult to see.

Fender is upside down and is showing the back side in the second picture.

My original front fenders do not have this extra line so I wanted to make sure I was not missing something by fixing it so the extra line is gone.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_143851 small 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	603492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_143914 small 1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	603494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_143925 small 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	603496  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 7:56 PM
Team Member
Roger

Re: 67 AMD Front fenders

If your original fenders don't have the body line, why would you keep the AMD fenders? If you fix the AMD fenders, your fixing their problem or mistake.
IMO, they must have been stamped wrong. I'd send them back for a refund.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2005 Silverado 3500 LS
2013 Sierra 1500 SLT
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 9:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Theres only one body line. It aligns with the doors body line . Below that its just a gentle curved shape. Do distinct line. To me that looks damaged. Do both sides look the same?
davewho1 likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 9:24 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Thanks for the replys!

Both the drivers side and passenger side have the same issue.

The parts are so big you get that darn truck freight charge added to the bill which really adds up if you go and return them and get new ones sent.

There is no guarantee you would get two new fenders back that don't have the same issue.

If I saw some others had the same issue with the same part I would likely just keep them and save the $ from the shipping

Thanks!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 12:29 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Seriously!!!
I know its expected to take care of some minor denting, etc with sheet metal but that is ridiculous.
You shouldn't have t pay return shipping or shipping for the new set back to you (if you really even want a new set).
If we keep accepting this crap they will keep making this crap.
TerryAT likes this.

71 Chevelle
Mark Jones 454
Dynamic TH400
QP 9"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 12:33 PM
Tech Team
Bill

By the way - if there's an AMD rep that reads this stuff - do the right thing and contact this guy before he contacts you.

71 Chevelle
Mark Jones 454
Dynamic TH400
QP 9"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 3:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuck67 View Post
Thanks for the replys!

Both the drivers side and passenger side have the same issue.

The parts are so big you get that darn truck freight charge added to the bill which really adds up if you go and return them and get new ones sent.

There is no guarantee you would get two new fenders back that don't have the same issue.

If I saw some others had the same issue with the same part I would likely just keep them and save the $ from the shipping

Thanks!
Yeah, if you ordered new AMD fenders, you would most likely get the same thing. Here is my 67s. Yes, they are AMD as well. This is why I gave up trying to gap and fit my vehicle.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2C284204-CA0B-4D5B-A7E9-88235AD7CD3C.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	603572  

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Appreciate the reply's from everyone.

Hey Joe thanks for the picture. That is exactly what I am working with. Sorry to hear you have the same issue I have. Hope everything works out for you.

The fenders are not stamped correctly plane and simple.

Just reading through the posts here on TC it seems like there are a lot of quality issues with AMD front fenders for 66 - 67. Hood profile match. Extra body lines. Firewall mounting bracket not correct.

As a side note I went through 3 AMD outer passenger side rockers before I got one that was close enough I could massage it to fit.

I guess the old adage of fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me applies here. I should have learned my lesson from the 3 AMD rockers.

I'm not sure any of the other after market manufacturers are any better than AMD but I'm going to take this as a lesson learned and look into some of the other manufacturers for my future needs.

The thing I keep going back to is I enjoy working on the car. This is a slight setback that will cost me some time to fix but it is not going to deter me from my goal.

I'll get to work fixing the fenders and get them looking good.

Thanks everyone for the replies and the PM's!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 4:48 PM
Gold Member
don

i believe all of AMD 66 and 67 fenders have that line stamped in them. not the first i have heard of it. it should be a gentile radius, not a sharp die line......
TerryAT and Kopfjaeger like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 5:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Agreed. It should be a slight contour. AMDs crease does not line up with where the rocker profile continues into the fender. They missed the mark, big time!

Here is an original fender, for reference.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AB75E5EA-9206-4839-97F6-B4266F508E9B.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	603586  

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 5:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Kevin,

I have given up on fixing the body on my vehicle. My Chevelle is going to someone who restores GTOs for a living. Im paying him to do what I lack in the skill and patience to do. My driver side quarter to door gap is too wide and needs to be reworked. The fender contour issue needs to be corrected, and God only knows how my original SS hood will fit these fenders!

Hey, its only money, right?

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Wow. I wouldnt sit quiet. Id demand at least half my money back for that garbage if thats how all of them are stamped. The most common reason we need these is because of the lower sections rotting out. I can see some tweaking needed, but you have the whole bottoms needing re-fabricated. You can do that to factory fenders. Just buy patch panels and brace. Sorry, but thats inexcusable from them.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 4:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
Wow. I wouldnt sit quiet. Id demand at least half my money back for that garbage if thats how all of them are stamped. The most common reason we need these is because of the lower sections rotting out. I can see some tweaking needed, but you have the whole bottoms needing re-fabricated. You can do that to factory fenders. Just buy patch panels and brace. Sorry, but thats inexcusable from them.
Terry,

You are right, that is the way it should be but........ I had an issue with Dynacorn. I posted a thread here about it. The lower firewall they sent was stamped wrong. I contacted a senior manager in Cali. Sent him pictures and he promised to look into it. I never heard back. Nothing! A half dozen emails sent went unreplied. So, my options were sue them? I dont have the time or resources for that, unfortunately.

I purchased these AMD fenders from a dealer that ordered them for me. He had done all of the sheet metal replacement on my vehicle and was going to continue with fitting, gapping,and preparing my vehicle for paint, once I realized I was way over my skill level.
He told me he had just fit NOS fenders on a 67vert, and they fit worse than reproductions. He was aware of what needed to be done to make the AMD fenders work properly, I had no clue what to do with them. He was supposed to take her in January but that turned into May, then July, now its,Im not sure when I can fit her in. Very frustrating, so now Im on another wait list with another restoration shop. Im frustrated and 9 months behind where I should be. My vehicle should be painted and Id have the drive train in and running and most likely be working on the interior by now, but........
This crap really pisses me off. If I performed like this at work,Id be unemployed. Sorry, rant over.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 4:38 PM
Gold Member
don

i get the attitude everyone has about it, but lets be honest, you aren't going to get anything from AMD/Goodmark/Dynacorn because its reproduction panels. they are, what they are. they are labeled that they may require work to make them fit. that is the reality of it. if you had better choices, like GM panels, you would already be using them. this is the nature of restoring cars, why it costs so much to restore..... time to make it all fit correctly. you guys have restoration and collision mixed up.

an NOS GM fender cost between $600-$1200.00 AMD $288.00 but you want the AMD to fit like NOS GM...... so do I, but it doesn't.....truth!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 4:49 PM
Gold Member
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
...The most common reason we need these is because of the lower sections rotting out. You can do that to factory fenders. Just buy patch panels and brace...

i agree, 90% of the fenders only need repair behind the front tires. i wish the prices of the patch and the brace was better. i believe the patch eats up $50 and the brace even more. i won't sell any of my GM fenders anymore. i think i would rather repair this on the GM fender than the alternative...

Last edited by davewho1; Sep 19th, 19 at 1:16 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in